May 15 diving

• Kind of late for me to be up, but my ears are bothering me. Went diving yesterday, the visibility and current were terrible. Wound up using the shortest guns that I had on the boat, an 86 cm Omer MB 30, and a 100cm Sten. Stoned this Cuda from about 3 ft., and got several Sheepshead. Shot a big AJ that made a pretzel out of the Sten shaft and pulled off. Saw 100's of red snapper on every rig that I dove (and the visibility may have been 15ft). Still had a good time, it was good to get out.

Keith

• Is that the same kind of Barracuda we get here in California?

Why is it that most people bad mouth them? Taste bad? I know that some in other parts of the country and world have some sort of toxin but I don't think the local ones do.

I've seem some big ones at the islands here and missed a shot but never tried them...

Why is it that most people bad mouth them? Taste bad? I know that some in other parts of the country and world have some sort of toxin but I don't think the local ones do.

I've seem some big ones at the islands here and missed a shot but never tried them...

The ones around here (Northern most Gulf of Mexico) are the Great Barracuda, the same as in the Caribbean and the Keys. No ciguatera here, at least no verified accounts that I know of. I have been killing and eating them all my adult life. I don't shoot every one that I see, but this one is destined for a fish fry tomorrow. Absolutely nothing wrong with the taste, but one this size will be soaked in icy salt water over night prior to cooking. I mostly grill them, but this one will get cut to small pieces, mixed with French's yellow mustard, rolled in corn meal, and deep fried. My Wife will prepare Black Beans and fried potatoes, and I will over eat again.

KC

I have eaten the ones in California (Sphyraena argentea) and I thought they where good. I haven't eaten the great barracuda (Sphyraena barracuda). California does not have ciguatera because we don't have tropical waters that support it. Its a pretty nasty disease if you get it though.

Here is some info on the two species:
    Great Barracuda
    FLMNH Ichthyology Department: Great Barracuda

California Barracuda
    http://www.montereybayaquarium…=VsGX+Lst7QZ9d7zss3AfJA==

• Just to be clear its not a disease or virus it is a reef bacteria i belive that gets ingested and passed up the food chain, so apex reef predators like barracuda and kingfish are a higher risk, more stressed a ecosystem/reef is the more chance of ciguatera infestation.
    In the Southernmost islands in the Caribbean we dont have ciguatera.
    Edit: here is a new one by me!! "Ciguatera can be sexually transmitted. With exposure of the mother, premature labor and spontaneous abortion have been reported, as well as effects on the fetus and newborn child through placental and breast milk transmission."

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

Edited once, last by Dude george ().

• Everyone ate fried cuda today, and we are ok. no cig or std's to report.
    KC

hahahahahahahah no sexually transmitted crapping abortions? well shucks thats just boring :laughing:

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Glad you're getting out Keith. Im stuck out here in the California desert until this fall. Another year of missed opportunity for WR Red Snapper:(