Goliath grouper

• A good post from Ray Odor. I guess he wants to relive the good ole days and shoot himself a jewfish :D Seriously though I understand they can be a menace. I haven't had a problem yet but I don't dive so many wrecks.

• You right on that. I have very few encounters with this beast in Puerto rico waters. We dont get to see them as much due to the fact that comercial fisherman will kill them and cut them in pieces before any agency will notice. ;), I have seen quite a few videos of them gathering in grater numbers here in the states (Big Herds). This fish can make a big impact on the reef ecosystem. All the bugs that look for shelter in the artificial reefs will dissapear fast. and you know they eat hogs, small groupers, and snappers:rolleyes1:. Our Beloved sport in danger?. A fellow Puertorican caught one around the 200# long time ago and he got a lobster and 2 groupers in his belly. Dont know if they eat their own kind but i know what i saw, disturbing when you think what damage he can bring to the reef. I say let us have a season to take them:D. Bring balance to the reef once again.:D

• in cuba I shot one , not to big , just a bit over 100 pounds and it had two big lobsters in the belly , and still the stomach had room for plenty more.

• I've seen only three in the Pensacola area over the years. Two were deep inside wrecks in 90-100' of water and were probably over 250 lbs, I would guess, though I have no experience estimating the weights of such fish.

The third, though, caught me by surprise because it took up residence on one of our wrecks in Pensacola Bay for a while. I rounded the corner of a wreck in about 8' of hazy vis, and saw the front 1/3 of what I thought was a monster gag of 75-80 lbs sticking out of a hole in the wreck. Usually, when I see grouper in this posture, they are easy shots because they will exit the wreck and turn to go back in head first, momentarily presenting a solid broadside shot. I lined up, waiting for the fish to turn, but instead it came right towards me like a puppy waiting for a pat on the head. As it did, I noticed the round tail, and recognized what I was looking at.

Rule #1 - Always be sure of your target. Twice, I have almost made serious mistakes underwater because I encountered something that was so completely out of place that I didn't recognize it for what it was.

• In the past like 20 years ago there used to be a lot here in some parts of PR and friendly, in Crash Boat I saw the biggers ones, record size, few friend used to spear a few and like everyone said stomach full of big fish and lobsters, 2 weeks ago my nephew saw a big one around 200lb while scuba diving in Parguera but this one was wary.

Pucho

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• Yes Pucho last one i saw was about 5 years ago in la pared (The wall)in parguera. It was around 300# several of us saw it. he was gasping like he just swallow something big. then suddenly he gasp out the antenas of a big lobster. Once he saw us approaching he took off down the wall. You guys got to know that the Wall drop off goes from 80-90' all the way to the center of the earth, really i got no clue how deep that place is. but it looks like it can go over 800' or way deeper than that. Not kidding that place can get from a good reef hunting to blue hunting without moving to far. We saw a loca reel and rod fisherman land a wahoo not 300 feet from us on the blue side of the cliff:rolleyes1: Wish i could of saw it underwater , just for pictures,didnt have a gun with me. I was teaching a class on phtography using nitrox.Also saw the biggest Tiger shark there.A big fat ass pig. Glad he didnt show interest in us. or was already full;)

• How long did it reside on your wreck and was there a noticeable decrease in shootable fish?

It was only there for a month or so, but in that time, I never saw another fish of any kind. After seeing him on a few dives, one day he was gone, and the snapper and grouper and baitfish were back.

• One took my buddy's 30 inch AJ and his 110 euroshaft last weekend ---- whole. Davie was there, not me though.

• One took my buddy's 30 inch AJ and his 110 euroshaft last weekend ---- whole. Davie was there, not me though.

It broke his reel and almost popped his thumb off also. The reel line wrapped around his thumb and he had to cut his line loose as it dragged him through the water.

Davie Peguero