Core's new gun build and gear

• One problem with making a badly warped glue-up straight is that you would have then altered the internal stresses again, and need to hang it again to see if it warps again, and you might now be working with a blank that is smaller than you wanted.

• Nice sketches, Jeff, and the explanation is more easily understood than mine!

Chad, each week I set each blank on my straight edge and measure any deviation along the side and top and record it on a spread sheet. I've been doing that since I started making the blanks. It turns out that people want to hang the blanks just to make sure. Because of the attention to detail you mentioned, the blanks don't move during the month or more that they hang. People just feel better about it so that's what I do.

By the way, I hung your blank from 5/20/08-6/16/08, and checked it 3 times with no detectable change along the side or top. I checked it again this morning just for grins- still within .008 along the top and .005 on the side, although it"s hard to imagine that behemoth bowing or warping. I think it could be the lever Archimedes was referring to! (Wasn't he the one that said if he had a long enough, strong enough lever and a place to stand he could move the earth?)

The new jointer is a Grizzly G 0586 with a 8" x 76" bed. I didn't get the carbide inserts because I had read that the hss knives cut smoother, and I don't expect to be working with any more pecan any time soon. I built a jig to sharpen my surface planer knives using a diamond wheel on my mill, and I think I can adapt it to the jointer knives when they need sharpening. I have some vibration issues that I'm working through with the Tech. support guys at Grizzly, but so far they are working with me so I'm cinfident we'll get it resolved.

By the way, your blank was made before I got the new jointer, so I made yours using my little Craftsman 24"
    or so jointer.

• OHHH Yea. You guys notice by now that with all that knowledge the gun will come out awesome. I call Bill the TEAK WISPERER:thumbsup2:. This thread will try to cover all those little small angles on this weird type of gun. Is kind of like an euro with a little twist to the conventional Riffe gun with the expertise of the wisperer. The results will be shown first time in the water and i make my first kill. Pictures is a must on my first out to kill something..I will have a picture when i get the gun for the first time.:laughing3: Can you imagine the reaction i sure can:D I also will be posting all the parts that will be included on the project for future reference. Everything for the spearos in this forum to share and use when they try to build their own guns,

P.S. You got to get the Blanks from the wosperer they will not dissapoint:thumbsup2:

• Hey Chad,

Onthe boat. I got the aft casting deck finished, and have the forward casting deck finished except for the latches on the hatches. It's the same thing as the teak blanks- it's all about sweating the details. The decks have overboard draining gutters under the hatches to make sure they are really DRY storage, and the hatch latches are recessed into the hatch so a bare foot doesn't hook the latch. It all takes time, but when it's finished I'll be glad I spent time on the small stuff! Once I get the blanks done it will be back on the boat--finish the bow platform, then the gunwales, the built in fuel tank, console, wiring, plumbing. maybe I'm not as far along as I thought. Oh well, when you live in paradise, you have to expect the little distractions. It's all good, though. I may be too busy to finish all of the things I start as soon as I'd like to, but I'm working on the important stuff- like building furniture for the grandkids and taking them crabbing and fishing when they visit. You know, the important stuff!!

• Hey Alvin,

I will DEFINITELY have to try your gun with a sama boricua, when you finally come here.

:laughing3: For Sure. This will be a fun project. Still getting all the stuff ready. once i get the mats for the gun i will be buyinf floatline and float, fins adn wetsuit and all the little details so when i go back to Puerto rico I can go :attack3::diver2: The Samas(Muttons) wont have a clue what hit them:D

• This i see everyday in my Desk. I call it my motivation Picutres, this Were taken by me on a scuba diving trip. Cant wait to go back there with My new Gun:D

Cubera on the 30# range more or less

A whole school like the first one. You barely can notice but there are 4 of them. On the far side. they will come to you up to about 7 feet. I have a camera but i really wanted a speargun Can you tell:D My trigger finger is cramping up dang it:) Depth was like 25 feet about 100 yards from shore. Secret Place;) I had a video but comp crashed and lost it:angry5:

• Don't tell Rodolfo about that place! At least not after you have dove it a couple of times...

:laughing3::laughing3: All i know if you and Rodolfo get that place is going to be a :tumbleweed: a dessert That day i saw at least 8 of them ranging from 20 pounds to 50 pounds. But knowing Puerto Rico the word probably spread out and it might have been overfish already. I was not the only hunter in that diving trip. It goes from25 to 50 feet. and i know people on that area know about those cuberas. When i go back i will take a quick plunge there to see if they still around. but i guess by now they will be very spooky:rolleyes1:

• When my computer crached i lost the copy i got for Adobe CS3 suit so i dont have photoshop. And i've been lazy trying to learn it . I guess i can ask you how to do 1 thing or 2:D. You are the photoshop masta here:thumbsup2:

• Hey Alvin!

I checked the blank today and it's wicked straight- hasn't moved at all! I'm thinking one more set of numbers like this and we might be ready to get on with the fun part. Where do you stand on getting the trigger mech, handle frame, and shooting line retainer? I looked at the blank again and it might be the nicest figuring I've seen in the FEQ teak! I can't wait to get started on the build- I think you're going to be really pleased with the blank, and I hope with the overall results.

Bill

• Boss i guess we are almost there i hope to give you a call around next week with the full order. So happy to hear that the wood came out as planned. I'm waiting for the money to hit this weekend and the order will be placed. I notice that i can buy all the items in a store in Florida at the same price that Neptonic site has. So i think the order will get to you fast. I need to ask Tin Man a question about the Bubble Gum for the Handle. but i guess i can PM him before posting it. Thanks for letting me know. I think i missed your last post on this thread. I guess i should be paying more attention to it. Since it got my name on it;).:laughing3:

• Does anyone know another handle frame like the neptonics. I just want a different form to go with the shapelock. I think this handle might be a little to thick on the bottom for my hand and i was wondering if you guys know if there is another one a little thinner out there.