First time spearfishing Trindad & Tobago 2013

• You think Santa can bring me one of those this year? Nice boat. What powers it?

I like you Hank so would not wish a gas guzzler on you..lol..makes sense in Trinidad with VERY CHEEP fuel as they make their own or Venezuela where they pay a few cents per liter but not the islands I call home and certainly not in Belize!!
    Detroit Diesels 6V92 525's... sell those supper sized shrimp you found and are breeding like flies and I may be staying on your gas guzzler soon as I spearfish Belize :D

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Went out today and spent the day looking at Zero visibility water :(. We made a desperation dive on an abandoned rig in 3-4 knot current but as you can imagine it lasted all of ten minutes.
    Can you see the current flowing by the pilings?

At around 1:30 we threw in the towel and headed for home, but low and behold we saw a line of black water pushing the brown mud back, tide had finally pushed into the Gulf and we decided to head back to our spots.
    10 min into our first spot and.. thunk onto the transom :)

I was very sad as u can see in the pic ;)

Vis went down to about 3 feet a few min later so we followed the cleaner water to our next spot, and on my first dive brained this little one and severed his spine from his head..Proud of that shot.

NO Spike that aint yours buddy!!

A few min later and here comes Bequia Blues with a smile on his face.

After that had about 20 min in the water before the mud won out over the tides push and our day was over :( but hey we got almost 45 min in the water and got the job done!! :thumbsup2:

George Steele

• Nice! Good job on those fish and sticking it out with the bad viz.

It was desperation that had us sticking it out searching for any vis at all today, weather has shut us down for days now, if we get a break tomorrow I am praying we get on the grouper.

George Steele

• Are snook as dumb there as they are here in FL? After almost being wiped out they are subject to heavy regulations here. A short season, very narrow slot size limit, no spearing. Now they are everywhere and just hangout like logs. Ive come across a few while spearfishing and found them to be one of the least skittish fish ive ever come across. I was able to get a hand on the last one I saw before he finally had enough and swam away.

• They are frequently targeted fish here in TnT so not so easy to find and shoot, soon as they sense a diver they scat! but not what I would classify as difficult like a wary snapper who just messes with your head :).

George Steele

• Smook here are usually found where a river or creek meets the sea. This also makes for lousy vis which would make them difficult to spear. Dude G, you're good, badehh. Hah.
    I'm sitting in a doctor's office in BelizeCity.

• Smook here are usually found where a river or creek meets the sea. This also makes for lousy vis which would make them difficult to spear. Dude G, you're good, badehh. Hah.
    I'm sitting in a doctor's office in BelizeCity.

Hope your alright Hank and its not the dreaded smook poisoning :laughing:

Here you find them in really dirty water/brackish with the worst vis possible, where we go you have to time the tide perfectly hunting them and then they sit in the lower layer of smog like stirred up stuff and hide... so getting a glimpse is tough and then you get usually one chance. I only like shooting challenging stuff hank, just like you brudddah!
    Had a Trini friend go crazy watching all the fat Snook just lying there in Florida so went out and shot a 50lb'er and spent the night in jail for his efforts...lol.. I hear they are just like reefchief said up there, would be cool to see them not running and hiding for their lives :)

George Steele