Figerglass fins and wetsuit discussion

• I was wondering about the Plastic and Carbon fiber ones any big differences. I understand the very expensive differences but if you have the money to buy it would you buy carbon over fiber? Money is not the issue here, is the looks in my case i want a pair of good fins but also i want them to look cool. I like the way the C4 Falcon VGR look but i also know they are expensive. I also like the way the OMER BAT fin look . I know lots of spearos dont like the cammo stuff, Me beign in the military is part of my daily wardrobe :D so i really like the cammo stuff, It doesnt really matter to me if it works or not. i haved used cammo stuff for the last 8 years maybe so i know i like it. So please put your knowledge here without going overboard. Dont need the saying is a comemierderia, because if it was for that all of us will be using diving gear and a JBL still.:D Got my point? I just want honest replies about this to help me choose my new gear. The point here is simple my wife want to give me the best gift ever:0 so i said i want a new spearfishing gear(currently have none):(. and she told me to go out and buy everything i need before the end of july. What she didn't know how expensive this sport can be, Now that she know she still beleive in that i have earned it.:cool2:
    So now i really take her word for it and i want all the new cool stuff.;) If i go cheapo i might regreat it later and this is a one in a lifetime offer from her. so i'm ready to Blast away:laughing3: I know you would do the same

• Fiberglass is normally less expensive than carbon and is supposed to be more durable. The advantage of carbon is that it's lighter. We found carbon fins that are as durable as fiberglass under normal use. They are lighter and faster than fiberglass. Once you try these carbon blades you don't go back to fiberglass https://spearfishing.store/fin…rbon-freediving-fins.html

• I am using C4 Falcon 30 fins for 8 years now (the same pair...). Now I bought the newest model; VGR T700 Mustangs. Expensive but worth every penny, especially the footpockets, that fit like a pair of Nike's.
    If money is not an issue, get the C4's. They are not fragile as many people says. I think it is an urban legend based on other manufacturers poor quality. My friend Carmelo has a pair of 10 years old C4 fins. He bought them used from Ricky (the italian that participates here every once and then).
    Rodolfo also has a pair of Falcon 40 fins. Ask him.

I also have a pair of fiberglass fins (Xxone) and have tried the Nemo's from Finswimworld, which I think are the original manufacturer of all the fiberglass fins sold in the USA. They're not bad, but C4 outpreforms them without any doubt.

Do you all that say that Carbon fins are not worth have tried them? I mean, the right stiffness and the right footpocket for you? I have tried both and I don't change my C4's.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM OMER. It is all poor quality - high priced chinese crap. All their Bat fins have breaked. Ask Rodolfo!

Regarding wetsuits, again, if money is not an issue, get a custom fit Elios from Italy. If you want to stay on budget and still get a good wetsuit, Spetton is very good quality/reasonable priced and I have also heard good things about the new brand Mako, who uses the same neoprene as many European manufacturers (Nam Liong) and they have a nice camo pattern. Beuchat are not bad, but there are better priced options out there with a similar quality.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Thanks Marco. See guys we got lots of different opinions. That is why this discussions are important to me. Is what makes this sport unique. The thread monster started about favorite gear goes well with this one., Because you can see what other people like or dislike plus let you see were people rather create their own, then buy an expensive piece:thumbsup2: Tha's the spirit folks:D

• I have tried Fiber. Well the BAT from OMER. I dint like it. Plus a friend of mine had one and they broke within a year. Probably the BAT is not a good example and i have used plastic all my life. I do like the way the C4 looks. But 400+ for the new t700 carbon is a little upthere in price range. I will love to get a good fiberglass fin that is very long and not too hard. (ankle problems). If i buy them and dont like them, well i can buy new carbon fins later. Or if i go to Puerto Rico i can use a pair of C4 and them make my decision to go ahead and buy me a pair.

• Having the fins mounted in the right footpocket and choosing the right stiffness is crucial. If the footpocket is either too stiff or does not fit your feet well, much of the energy supposed to be transfered to the blades is lost "somewhere".

If you want a good compromise between price and quality, get the Nemo's from Finswimworld (140$ plus shipping), but the shipping is the same for one or 5 pairs. Or wait until you get here and I let you try three of my fins: Falcon 30 with Spora footpocket, Xxone #3 stiffness with Spora footpocket and Mustang 30 with their own new footpocket. Rodolfo has the Falcon 40 with Omer footpocket and Fernando has the Nemo #3. Then you get an idea yourself and buy whatever suits best for your needs and pocket.

I haven't tried the new Mako's fins, but seem to be good (and reasonable priced) too.

Marco Melis

• I'm pretty happy with my Edge fins - vast improvement over my plastic Cressi 3000's --- especially at depth.

• Jim Cuda
    That is the point i was thinking on getting a set of plastic for now to get back to the sport using secondary fins. then Decide wich one i will buy to be the primary ones. Either Fiber or Carbon. Both will be an upgrde we just trying to bring this info here to make sure people understand what they will get for the money. Fiber is looking Good right now in my Books. But i also fell in love wth the new C4 and their damn footpocket that looks very comfy. I like the C4 Falcon VGR. But will see what happen. Edge fins in cammo looks tempting too

• You end up bicicle kicking when the blades are too stiff for you. Now the tendency is to use the softest blade that moves you in the water. Especially if you shore dive or swim long distances.

Marco Melis

• i agree the #3 fiberglass get cumbersome after swimming on the surface for a while.

I heard the spetton carbon fiber Mat-Mas are excellent fins, they are just as light as c4's but much more

durable. i think that they might be my next set of fins. price is also better than c4

• If you shore dive or cover some distance, then you don´t need freediving fins. The harder the fin, the deeper the dive. Saying that you need softer blades, cause they are more comfortable It´s like saying that you prefer a 22 over a 30/06 rifle cause it has no recoil. That depends on what you want to do. if you fish in the 70´s plus, then a harder stiffness is the way to go

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• the reason i like light soft fins is because the damn army break you knees and ankles. Trust me i dont know many people that have gone trough this damn trainings and never come out messed up on the legs or lower back.

• If you shore dive or cover some distance, then you don´t need freediving fins. The harder the fin, the deeper the dive. Saying that you need softer blades, cause they are more comfortable It´s like saying that you prefer a 22 over a 30/06 rifle cause it has no recoil. That depends on what you want to do. if you fish in the 70´s plus, then a harder stiffness is the way to go

Every mind is a whole world and I respect your point, but in my modest opinion, if there are strong currents, you won't go anywhere without a good pair of freediving fins.

I used to think like you because I used to dive in some specific spots like wrecks and FAD's, where the only thing I needed to do was diving down to the bottom (way deeper than what you mentioned) , do a short aspetto and then up for breath, but once I started diving in broader spots like reefs, where you have to swim around, many times against strong currents, a softer (but still reactive) blade was a better option. And bediveleive me, I don't like to talk much about depths, but I normally dive "deep".

I don't know much about riffles or firearms, but I imagine that you don't use the same riffle to shoot buffalos and pigeons, do you?

On tha other hand, when you REALLY feel the difference between a GOOD frediving fin and a "regular" one is when you get used to the good one and for some reason have to wear the "regular" one. That happened to me once I traveled abroad and borrowed a pair of plastic freediving fins (Sporasub HD black). I felt like when riding a bike and the chain goes out from the gear! :0 :rolleyes1:

Now, I always take my fins when I travel.;)

Marco Melis

• Hey Guys like i say I'm a SCUBA diving instructor myself. and you can go with any fins to do both but of course you will not perform the same. As instructor i have used freediving fins for strong current conditions.
    But if you are in a class they are hard for different moves you trying to teach and can lift more sand from the bottom. During a regular trip i stay off the bottom and the scuba fins are better for that. If i'm going to a cliff that i know i wont touch the bottom structure then of course the freediving fins are good. for wreck diving of course no freediving fins. you guys got the picture. for freediving scuba fins will get it done but will decrease bottom time. We know must of the spearos here can reach depths over 50+ I will say the good freediving fins can add more depth or more time to your average depth dives. We all know is between carbon and fiber for that matter and you can see the different experiences. My personal question to you all will be. have you ever wondered if a set of carbon or fiber fins will take you there(depth) and for longer?
    Maybe you dont care and you happy where you are with plastic. But i know for experience in Puerto Rico. Sometimes just sometimes The fish i wanted was out of reach and i kept wondering what could of been different for me to get closer. Sometimes is not the skills sometimes is also the gear.Damn muttons in Puerto rico wait for you to get all purple to get close sometimes. But if you are there for a long time they will come close and you dont have to suffer so much. Example. If you swim 4 hours with plastic fins and get tired, and you swim 4 hours with a carbon set. and you are not as tires. That means you could of gone deeper or stay longer. Cause you were not so tired. So i beleive a good set of fins can make a big difference And carbon or fiber can do both as i can see here.

• I didn't even realize scuba was a factor in this discussion. You are right, long glass or carbon fins are awkward for sculling and other unorthodox movements. In freediving you have to plan all your movements in advance so as not to break form. Still with the glass blades I do not have to worry at all about pushing off the bottom or accidentally catching a rock on a stroke. With carbon fins you better worry about that.

• I agree with Marco as well. Hard stiffness (still talking about fins here :D) are good enough for one thing : Rocket your way up and down in a deep dive. Like in a FAD or a deep pinnacle as you pointed. That´s why i use Riffe (soft) and Nemo (HArd) for any applications, just like shooting pigeons or buffalos.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I now use medium DiveR blades and love them. They are longer than most freedive fins and I found a curious thing after using them a couple times. When diving deep (80 feet is deep for me) I can make a couple regular kicks to get started up and then I can do very small amplitude, low effort, kicks and keep moving up quickly through the water column. It's like the fins develop a sin wave along their length propelling me forward with VERY little effort. They work will for surface swimming too and since the blades are fiberglass, not carbon, I don't have to baby them around the rig legs. ,

• Years ago I tried to buy just the glue on rubber rails to add on my plastic omer millinniem blades. Last week I finally found a source for the glue on rails, like the blade rails on Riffe Silent Hunter plastic blades. Yesterday I got to try out my new glue on blade rails for the first time. I had to look back several times to make sure that I was wearing the same fins:0 The added power and control is amazing:D At the sea bottom I simply kick hard for 1 or 2 cycles and I am shooting for the surface. Amazing. Me and another spearo were swimming in and towing our yaks from the 3rd reef yesterday and hit the sand area between reef so I just started steady swimming across the sand desert. As I came to the edge of the 2nd reef I looked back and the other spearo was in his yak and paddleing towards me. 10min later when he got to me I asked him if all was OK and he replied that he had to get out and yak to keep up with me:0
    So IMO if you have cheap plastic blades like me and need much more power and fin control, try these $8. glue on blade rails first.
    Just my opinion.
    Hope this helps