What would you do?

• We all know how partners in the water sometimes go over you and shoot the fish you got on your sights? Tell me what would you have done at the end in this case. I was spearfishing with a group of friends, this was 10 years ago:)and we got in the water at the same time. My neighborg was new to the sport and he wanted to follow me so he can learn and also to give him some sense of security. After an hour or so i drop down to the bottom and i see a big Mack crusing by, i was at the end of my breath and kick hard enough to close the gap and let it fly hitting him on the gill plate. It wasnt a really good shot but it holds. My friend decided on his own to go down for a second shot, but i told him just to check if the shot was good enough. he took the shot anyways and he hit the fish in the same hole my shaft was in as soon as he hit it my shaft pull out, He have the gill plate wide open. So i let go of my shaft and float line knowing they will be next to us anyways. And go help him subdue the fish. I grab the fish and use my knive to de brain the fish. back at the boat he claims the fish is his cause he got it:rolleyes1:. I told him my shot was good enough and his shot makes my shaft get out but he said he landed the fish. Because was a neighborg rookie on the sport i let it have it, to encourage him. But if it was someone else what would you do? I never fight over a fish. But i always wonder:rolleyes1: Fish was about 15 pounds but not a monster but still a decent fish.

• Good thread. This is the kind of stuff beginners need to have access to. When I started reading your post I thought it was going to be about something a little different; diving partners who shoot fish from under you. But that would be another good topic.

To answer the question right off the bat everything depends on your relationship with the other diver. Check out this thread, it's somewhat relevant Who gets the fish? A spearfishing ethics question.

I'm not a very patient guy sometimes. If someone ends up doing what your friend did I assume that they're well aware of everything and still choose to do it, so the need for explaining after is for appearances only. If it went exactly as you described with no other variables, without a doubt the fish belongs to you. For the sake of courtesy I would still attempt to explain. If the guy does not relent then that will probably be the end of the friendship right there. And I'd be pissed off and keep the fish whether he likes it or not. PR possibly being a rougher neighborhood than here, where I really don't have to see someone again if I don't like them, I would also consider how far the other guy is willing to take this. Not fun when everyone has spearguns and knives.

• :laughing3:I understand your point. But all of those toughts came to me in a heart beat but like i say he is a good friend and neighborg. so i back off because of the old friendship plus been neighbors. He is really a cool guy and good friend. But i was wondering what will happen if it was someone else. I wont argue with a drunk or someone with some sort of weapon on their hands, specially over a fish;). But i always think about it because i know i'm not the only one with this type of experience. so i think this scenarios help spearos know what to do on either side of the coin. trying to keep it friendly and fair That is my opinion

PR possibly being a rougher neighborhood than here, where I really don't have to see someone again if I don't like them, I would also consider how far the other guy is willing to take this. Not fun when everyone has spearguns and knives.

Dan,

There's a lot of places in "PR" where you can actually leave your car unlocked and sleep calm such as Salinas...Not all of us :D are criminals!

• but like i say he is a good friend and neighborg. so i back off because of the old friendship plus been neighbors. He is really a cool guy and good friend.

Explain to me why if he's such a good guy that he's causing you bad feelings and doesn't care about it? Did he come back later and express some regret for what happened? If he didn't what goes through the mind of a person like this.. Is he thinking "I went on a boat trip with these guys and I paid my share of the expenses so I must have something to show for it. Even if it's at the expense of a friend." or is he thinking "I told all my buddies at home that I'm a hot shot spearfishing guy and I must come back with a fish or I'll lose face. Again even if it's at the expense of a friend". I just don't understand guys like that, but I refuse to let them walk all over me.

• Pargo
    My friend neighborg didnt brag about it actually. He paid his share and after that trip we went to my house and got a BBQ going and we cooked the catch of the day. Yea he was happy showing the mack to the neighborgs and families. The mack was 15# but i got a big mutton about 12# so i was happy too. Me liking the mutton more than the macks. He kept going out with me to sperfish but that never happen again. Like Tin Man says me and him split the meat usually. We keep it in the friendly side. He was a rookie back then then he saw it happen to other people and he notice his mistake after months have passed. But knowing that i helped a friend a rookie spearo make me happy. He speared with me for the next 4-5 years. He was not as close to be a a avid spearo in the sport but he was a good partner. Very aware of everything when it comes to safety. he caught his share of fish. The group of that day gave him another chance of going out with us. And they were happy with him. But i know if it was something else might have been a different story, He is beign my friend for over 30+ years hope that tell you how close as friend we are.

• That's a whole different ball game. In this case you made the right decision IMO. The world is full of people trying to take advantage of each other. I have long accepted this as part of life and don't stress about it. But I have a keen eye for when it happens and don't allow it to happen to me. That is the reason for my attitude. I adjust my attitude with my friends who know I'm generous with my time and work.

• that has probably happened to a lot of us one time or another. I tell you what , me for my part , friend or no frien i'm always ready to give up a fish even if i didn't have any help on catching it. I don't hessitate to ask for help as well as to give help. but, in that case i would have given him the fish but expalaining him at the same time how things are done while fishing at my side. It happened to me a hell of a lot of times that someone calls me to tell me there's a fish in a hole or something, i go ehead shoot it , and give it to him. the way I see it it's his fish, or half at the most. i think that the best way to have fun with frineds while spearing is by keeping it humble and cool.

• :agree1: well said pantoja. Like i say i dont fight over a fish as long as is landed and the picture is taken:D i dont care who gets it home. Just the memory and the hunting part of me is what i'm interested. This type of situation can be fun with friends but if lots of not well known in the group run into this, can turn around the mood of the day and some people mad over something like this. Then is not as fun, I got enough problems in my life for me to go out there to enjoy what i think is my way of escaping my daily issues, i wont spoiled something i love to do for fish. Because that is what spearfishing is for me. An escape , A hobby, A passion.
    I know you spearos out there understand and can relate to it:thumbsup2:

• I totally agree with Pantoja.

But everything depends on the context...

Sometimes I go out fishing just to have fun and catch some fish. Then I share my catch with whoever didn't catch anything.
    Sometimes I go out fishing with people that sells all the fish. Then I keep all my catch for me. Giving fish would be like giving money and I don't like that. Anyway, when a rookie went with us and didn't catch anything, I'm always the one giving my fish away.

In your specific case, I would give the fish to your friend but clearly explain him how to behave next time (yes, everybody deserves a second opportunity in my opinion). ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Exactly what i did:). But like i say . i will do same as pantoja if it was someone else. And yes i told him what was wrong. and he never did it again

• To answer your original question, I would not care to dive with that guy again. I think the fact that he's a "rookie" does not bear too much weight in my book. I think that is almost a common sense thing. If it was on my boat, he would not come on board again. Sorry, maybe I'm a bit of a prick sometimes, but that is a guy who's core (no pun intended) is likely rotten and I would not care to associate with, much less getting in the water with.

• To answer your original question, I would not care to dive with that guy again. I think the fact that he's a "rookie" does not bear too much weight in my book. I think that is almost a common sense thing. If it was on my boat, he would not come on board again. Sorry, maybe I'm a bit of a prick sometimes, but that is a guy who's core (no pun intended) is likely rotten and I would not care to associate with, much less getting in the water with.

My sentiments exactly

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver