New Record Black Grouper

• Ouch! How big was the monster that ate it?

Looks like there is still plenty left for a few good bowls of ceviche and grilled collars:thumbsup2:

• I saw that on Face Book last night. Very impressive and visual photo. Isn't that a Jewfish/Golith Grouper though? Would like to know where it occurred to guess the shark but HAD to be a big Tiger Shark. Only other shark that could do that would be the GWS IMHO.

He appears to have a go pro on his head - would LOVE to see the video. :thumbsup2:

This is certainly one photo that tell the story - no caption required. :laughing3:

• Nice. I am sure there is a good story with that one.

"Whiskey don't make liars, it just makes fools. So, I didn't mean to say it, but I meant what I said."
    -James McMurtry

• Definitely a Black Grouper and not a Jewfish.
    I was at 127 ft when I pulled the trigger. It was a perfect shot and it basically stoned him but he quivered his nose in the bottom where the sand hits the wreck and got stuck. I had to go to the surface to get some air before trying to retrieve him. After waiting 6 min on the surface I headed back down to get him out of the wreck. When I was about 50 foot above him a monster 10 ft Bull Shark charged in an grabbed him. He had his nose in the wreck with his tail pointed towards the surface and was going crazy. At this point 2 more big sharks showed up. I drug the head to the surface and jumped in the boat with the Bulls on me the whole time. Look in the water behind me you will see a ramora. Tough break but a great story with a great pick to go along with it. The head alone weighed 40.1 lbs!! This fish was well over 100 lbs. This is a New World Record for Black Grouper Head :)

Edited 2 times, last by red tide ().

• At least I got some head:laughing:

:laughing::laughing3:

Impressive freediving and spearing.

By the way - I have one of your named spearguns - a great 60 inch GR Wong but sadly don't get to use it much.

Hope you have some video to share.

:thumbsup2:

• Hey Red Tide. Did you dive in Playa Del Carmen this last april? I think we where on the boat together and you where showing me your sony camera. Nice fish! To bad about the sharks.

• Hey Hookfish, That was me. 11 people on a panga for $200 each on a 3 hour trip was the biggest rip ever. The next two days were much better. We hooked up with a guy that had a 32 Hydrasport that took us to Aerosmith Bank and North of Holbox Island for $800 a day. We crushed it!!
    Dude....The camera is the Sony AS-15. It is the new rage in underwater video. I like it:toast:

• Glad you got into some fish. I went out of puerto adventuras for nada a couple days after. Left cancun with some nice pictures but no real fish stories. I think I will dive baja next time I go to mexico.

• Red sorry to derail but I am curious, what mount specifically did you use for the sony to attach to your mask?

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Sony makes a clip that attaches directly to mask/goggle strap for this camera.

"Whiskey don't make liars, it just makes fools. So, I didn't mean to say it, but I meant what I said."
    -James McMurtry