Which wood speargun do you recommend, Beuchat, Riffe, other?

• Hey all,

I would need some advice from more experienced spear divers, hope you can help me out.
    I want to buy a new wooden! speargun. From my research so far, I would go with Beuchat or Riffe.
    Do you have any experience with them, which manufacturer would you recommend?

Preferred models:
    - Beuchat Marlin Pacific, 105cm
    - Riffe Competitor #1, 99cm

What I am looking for?
    - length: around 85-105cm
    - usage: mostly wholes, bottom, reefs … NO blue water.
    - price: max. Eur 400,-

Beuchat seems to have sophisticated material, better quality.
    Riffe seems simple and solid, less parts that can break.

Thanks so much for the help,
    G

• I don't know about Beachat.

But I have three Riffes. Two C3s, and a Standard 5. All are about 10 years old and have been passed from me to my stepsons and son and my good buddy in the Philippines who beats the crap out of his. He loves it. No problems. They seem built to last. And last time I dealt with them, customer service was very good also.
    They were pretty well cared for. Washed after every use. As far as I could tell, the only difference in these guns is the stock length. The C3 and S5 have the same trigger mech.

• I think that in Grece you can get much nice spearguns than the ones you're listing. At least in Spain and Italy you can.

Why don't you ask in a local forum?

On the other hand, I won't buy nothing but an alluminum simple and reliable speargun for that size. Get a simple 90 and be happy. ;)

In Grece you have several good manufacturers. Support your local economy.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• hank: thanks for the info, helps to make the decision.

Marco: thanks to you too. Unfortunately i do not speak greek and not aware of any local forum. Same goes for lokal manufactures. If you have any links/leads, that would be great.

Best,
    G

• I have four Riffe's. Solid simple & well made will last a long long time. Change bands when worn, replace shaft went bent, wash after use - last a long time. I like how the Riffe handles in the water and have a preference for wood over rail guns - but your mileage may vary.

• I have owned or used most of the Riffe Competitors and miid handles over the years. The smallest competitor that I would recommend is the C2x. The smaller models overlap in performance with my polespears. The riffe can shoot shafts from 1/4 to 3/8" not sure about the Beauchat and thats a good feature to have. Never had any issues with the Riffe guns except a cracked handle.

• Riffes are good guns. Solid, reliable and effective. I had had at least one of each series over the years and I really think that all of them are great guns.

Competitor: Excellent guns, light and manuverable I had the comp 2 and was a fish kliller I gave it to a friend.

Standard: I had the baja and the standard 1 . I had slain a ton of fish with them. Sold them already, but I regret

Mid handle : I currently have a No ka oi with a 7.5 mm shaft and two 16 mm bands and is dead on. I had a midrange and the gun was great too.I like the midhandle for murky water. The No ka oi is the best all around size and is my favorite gun.

Euro: I had owned a 110, 120 and a130. I never could hit shit with the 120 but the 110 and the 130 were very accurate. You`ll like these better than the comps.

Riffes are far better than any Beauchat in terms of durability, power and range.

That been said I really think that you have far better options down there: ( and cheaper due to the freight, shipping and import taxes ..)

Mythicon

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I have no experience w beuchat but I will say riffes have terrible handles. If I were going to be buying a wood gun I'd get the speardiver teak in a heartbeat

i like to spear fish

• I think that the rife guns are a little old fashioned and behind the curve. The euros have been known to delaminate. I find they kick to much but track almost as well as a pipe gun and once you get used to them very accurate.
    Sorry I have very little experience with small guns but from what you have described I would strongly suggest a pipe gun, in that size gun for short range shots a pipe gun with one rubber with the euro things to tie your bands to that keep the rubber in line with the shaft would be the best solution. You don't need the mass of a wood gun to absorb recoil on a small single band gun.
    Wish I had a chance at some of those amazing Greek guns like the mythicon monster slayer suggested.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Medfish is an English speaking european forum. Try there.

You can also go to a local dive shop in Grece and find what you need (a simple 90 cm alluminum euro speargun) at a very reasonable price.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.