Daryl Wong in the news

• I WOULD like to get involved. I KNOW Daryl, Joe, and the kind of people Daryl surrounds himself with. I also know he is successful as a Dentist, a custom gun builder, and has no need to profit from selling fish at market, so I am suspect of those complaints. I also am related to pure Hawaiians, Kanaka Maoli, Keiki o Ka'aina, Children of the land. I understand the principle of "Aloha Aina, Aloha Kai" (love for the land and love for the sea.) I understand both sides of the argument and am familiar with the kind of personalities involved. I am usually accused by my family as being too pro-Hawaiian, Kanaka...Hawaiian Sovereignty...etc, but this is just plain wrong and stupid for these "sons of Moloka'i" to show unlawful and worse yet, disrespect for one Kumu, or teacher/master/ ambassador of Hawaiian Spearfishing. If there is a concern or dislike for off-islanders fishing your spots there is a more effective way to deal with the issue. Daryl's not Captain Cook coming to conquer Moloka'i, he's a fellow diver and fisherman...ethical fisherman. Knowing Daryl, I'm sure that if overfishing off Moloka'i is a real concern then he would more likely accept the offer to be involved in a community discussion of that issue. I know a few local boy thugs myself and this is the exact kind of behavior that makes them thugs. If they want to be true to their Moloka'i heritage, they should have honored their Kupuna by displaying the strong and royal character that is Hawaiian and showed respect...especially after they found out who's boat they had invaded (and it sounds like that if the letter written above is correct, they knew all along who' s boat they were boarding). But instead they steal one of Daryl's guns, push an Airforce Airman overboard and threaten his wife. THATS NOT THE PROUD HAWAIIAN HERRITAGE THAT I KNOW.

"UA MAU KE'EA O KA'AINA I KAPONO O HAWAII" "The breath/life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness of Hawaii". Hawaiian State Motto

Aloha!
    Makoa

Mahalo . I think you said it very well and accurately.

• I promised him I would not tell. But there is a reason he gets so much fish....he's....part fish. We were diving off Kaneohe Bay and when he pulled off his wetsuit hood, it pulled off his human mask. He put it right back on and said he'd give me a free gun if I wouldn't tell....but in the light of all this. He can't help it....he has to go hunt in the sea. He's FROM the sea....seriously. :)

A LOT of people say a LOT of good things about this man. I've been diving with him....maybe eight times. it's all true. I'm really sorry this happened to him. It would shake anyone up being boarded and hassled. He's been pretty quiet and not posted much fish lately. Maybe this is why.

• Impossible to get to the the truth with these conflicting stories.

As a rule I don't buy into any hype about any person. Everyone has different sides to them that they show to different people. To anyone who says they know Daryl Wong so well, are you so sure he wouldn't sell fish that you'd stake your life on it?

One thing I do know is that guys who are good and get fish, sell them. Even when they're not commercial, the desire to hunt is satiated much after the amount of fish for personal consumption is surpassed. So the fish are sold because what are you going to do with them.. Even really good/cool guys do this.

There are unwritten cultural laws that if you break them there will be consequences. It took me a lifetime to understand this because such things don't seem fair, if you believe you're not breaking any law. But it's about ownership of resources which is a fundamental instinct and can't be ignored, otherwise there will be trouble. That's basically how wars get started, scary shit, unless you're sure you're going to win by overwhelming force.

• Daryl doesn't deny selling fish. He has a commercial license. I've helped him load the fish from his boat into his truck to take to town.

As far as unwritten rules, how do you break down territories? Island by island? Towns on the same island? Jake and I can't go down to Sittee River?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the locals are hurting themselves in refusing to allow MPAs. Guarding their own little spots isn't going to help. They will still be over fished.

Edited 2 times, last by hank ().

• Dan, I agree and I am impressed that you are able to maintain a neutral position. That's an admirable quality of character, to not jump unkowingly onto the bandwagon. Glad there is a voice of reason and calm. Stay the course as I'm sure there will be need for a moderator of sorts to this story. I'm afraid that outside the small circle of family of the "sons of Moloka'i" few on here if any can vouch for their character. There are hundreds here that can vouch for Daryl's. So while I would love to have everyone agree with me, I absolutely appreciate and respect the opinions and "call to reason" that your position calls for.

That said...and again with the utmost respect:

I know Daryl has sold fish. I have sold fish. My dive buddies have sold fish...all as after thoughts to cover gas, or gear, etc. I think what makes this acceptable is the fact these sales weren't the reason we went hunting. It was the benefit of having a good and blessed day of successful hunting. My preference is to give to family and friends, my island Ohana, the excess of fish that I have on my kui at the end of a good day. I know Daryl has also given away fish and not just sold when he's had extras. He has also given away guns, gear, time and resources to a host of people. The issue is not if he sold fish but is he responsible for unethical, unrestrained harvesting of fish in Moloka'i waters justifying criminal and unethical means of confrontation? The great thing about Hawaii Nei (that's all the islands of the kingdom!) is that local farmer's markets selling goods, products, and FISH by locals who make and gather those commodities is a way of life. Its a way of life, an island way of life.So selling your fish is not unethical, criminal, Kapu (taboo), or even frowned upon but welcomed. From Maku'u Homestead (Kanaka Maoli...) to Hilo's Farmer's Market, it's a service locals flock to for homegrown products and resources that are fresh, locally independent from Supermarkets, etc. But to assume that Daryl is responsible for harvesting the quantities that would rival the big indiscriminate commercial operations (the ones scooping up fish by the tons!) to the extent that he alone is a threat to Moloka'i waters is absurd and not well thought out, considering his success at two occupations. Again, there are other issues here that involve the "sons of Moloka'i" and that issue is not Daryl.

Out of MY respect for my kupuna and Hawaiian family, and for those of our brothers on Moloka'i, I hope we are successful at protecting the resources of our islands. If that truly is THE issue, there is a way to bring the kama'aina together and establish sensible practices that can help us "self-govern" the way of life of those of Hawaii Nei. Ho'oponopono...to make right...a tradition before Ohana begins a meal all conflict should be set right, apologies made and accepted and aloha prevail before sharing poi. If this conflict truly was about unethical fishing in Moloka'i waters, then there is a better way to resolve. A more Akamai way.

Sorry for the discourse, but I believe Daryl, and the "Mother's of the sons of Moloka'i, deserve more than just the cry of outrage. I define character as "the thoughts, words and actions you exhibit when no one else is there to see you." It's what you do and think about in your most private times. That's what we teach our children. (Those that know me know I have 8 kids. So I teach it ALOT!:thumbsup2:) The outward indicators of your character is manifest by your actions and the way you treat others. Dan, that's why so many can stand behind Daryl. While no one can know, except Daryl himself, his true character, we have all been spectators and receivers of his kindness, skill, and experience. I know a Big Island diver that Daryl has been a mentor to more as a father as well as a hunter. These are all outward manifestations of a good and moral character. He goes beyond selling you stuff. He's given my boys and me shafts, knowing we were headed off on a spearing trip and money was tight. He's paid for many meals, Joe and I have taken out his boat and never asked for gas money, and he's treated my sons as one of the crew. It truly is hard to find someone as big and successful as Daryl, treat you as though you were bigger and more successful than he. That's Character. What kind of acts by the "sons of Moloka'i demonstrate the kind of character they have? Anyone know? Oh yeah, wait. They forced their way onto a boat, stole a gun, tossed a military guy overboard, threatened his wife, and intimidated an elder.

I hope all get their day in court...literally. I also hope that some of what I'm getting through the "coconut wireless" gets the same publicity as the sensationalist issue that has become "all about Daryl".

I'm all for ethical hunting. Im all for protecting local waters for Kama'aina and those that treat Hawaii and her waters with respect. I'm also all for inviting unethical fishermen, divers, spearos, who disrespect locals' way of life, to leave and go find another reef to rape! And I'm all for inviting Daryl to spear my local spots. I have so much to learn from watching him hunt.

HAWAIIAN!!

Aloha,
    Makoa

• Who knows what´s going on. The truth is, being harrassed by a bunch of boarding thugs is way over the line. Here in México you would get easily killed by something like this. We have a local problem too with "guateros" from Sinaloa. Poachers who had already depleted their resources and now are harvesting on local waters. They´re pretty close to be greeted with not just animosity but violent action from local fishermen, who by the way are a bunch of jerks who think the ocean belongs to them. I Guess democracy goes to wreck when precious resources of competing interest groups are at stake.

I hope Daryl is doing well and I really believe that he should rethink his way of being and actions in hostile territory.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• boarding someone's boat is pretty serious. No different than breaking and entering someone's house, which you can legally be shot and killed for in the states. At least that's what some cops told me when I lived there long ago.

• There are specific laws for the sea, many are hundreds of years old and they supersede local laws. That was piracy and if persued very very serious.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Piracy it is.. That´s an ol rule as old as the old ocean. If someone boards your vessel uninvited that means war. Daryl is such a mellow person I would had fired my speargun on the first boarder and then hack the others into shark bait with my on board collins machete, ubiquitous counterpart to the cutlass in this side of the Ocean..

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Two of the most humble "Kumu" (masters/teachers) of Hawaiian Spearfishing, Daryl and Joe, at just one of the several dinners me and the boys shared with uncle Daryl and cuzzin Joe. Funny, I nevah remember paying!

Makoa

PS. My boys may not be called "The Sons of Moloka'i" but are true "Sons of Hawaii Spearfishing" and know who to look to for an example of ethical and masterful hunting.

• Hopefully those thugs have had their day in court and justice has prevailed???

• I learned something the other night. I went over to see Daryl and Joe while I was there for a week. Missed the Sunday dive but had a good time talking story. First class people.

Anyway, I heard that Hawaiian law states that if someone breaks in your house you "run first". Or don't use a weapon that overpowers the perp. What?? I was in awe and disbelief but that's what the guy that was with them on the boat said.

That's the stupidest law I ever heard. How to you know what a guy is packing if he breaks into your house? I would assume if one is stupid enough to break in and possibly face an armed resident, that he would have a substantial weapon also....meaning it's ok to blow his ass away.

• In 2005 Florida became one of the 46 states that adopted the stand your ground law or "castle doctrine". Previously you had a duty to retreat if possible before using lethal force on an intruder. I guess Hawaii is one of the few states that still expect you to retreat. However I don't think this applies to Daryl's situation, as there's no where to retreat from a boat. Logic dictates he could've used deadly force. Whether he should or shouldn't have I don't know. Obviously the situation resolved itself without anyone getting seriously hurt, so probably the right decisions were made. It's not easy to go on knowing you killed someone, more so in what I imagine to be a small community.

• I learned something the other night. I went over to see Daryl and Joe while I was there for a week. Missed the Sunday dive but had a good time talking story. First class people.

Anyway, I heard that Hawaiian law states that if someone breaks in your house you "run first". Or don't use a weapon that overpowers the perp. What?? I was in awe and disbelief but that's what the guy that was with them on the boat said.

That's the stupidest law I ever heard. How to you know what a guy is packing if he breaks into your house? I would assume if one is stupid enough to break in and possibly face an armed resident, that he would have a substantial weapon also....meaning it's ok to blow his ass away.

Caribbean ex English islands have basically the same laws, England still has them as well.

In 2005 Florida became one of the 46 states that adopted the stand your ground law or "castle doctrine". Previously you had a duty to retreat if possible before using lethal force on an intruder. I guess Hawaii is one of the few states that still expect you to retreat. However I don't think this applies to Daryl's situation, as there's no where to retreat from a boat. Logic dictates he could've used deadly force. Whether he should or shouldn't have I don't know. Obviously the situation resolved itself without anyone getting seriously hurt, so probably the right decisions were made. It's not easy to go on knowing you killed someone, more so in what I imagine to be a small community.

Wise words Dan

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Hank, did u guys meet at Kaimuki Grill or at Daryl's? Update?

Makoa

BTW: IMHO usually the threat of lethal force while staring down the barrel of a gun is a pretty convincing deterrent. I also think that dealing with life after having killed someone would be a challenge, but living with myself after watching a friend or innocent bystander get killed or maimed while I stood idly by and did nothing for fear of statute law would be unbearable. Wolves and sheep...better to be the sheepdog and stop violence rather than watch evil and violence take its toll on the innocent. MHO

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• Hank, did u guys meet at Kaimuki Grill or at Daryl's? Update?

Makoa

BTW: IMHO usually the threat of lethal force while staring down the barrel of a gun is a pretty convincing deterrent. I also think that dealing with life after having killed someone would be a challenge, but living with myself after watching a friend or innocent bystander get killed or maimed while I stood idly by and did nothing for fear of statute law would be unbearable. Wolves and sheep...better to be the sheepdog and stop violence rather than watch evil and violence take its toll on the innocent. MHO

Makos/Hank - has this gone to court yet? Hopefully justice has been handed out firmly.

• English police don't carry guns either. "Stop.....or I'll say stop again". :laughing:
    I've thought this over many times. I am going to get a gun permit here. In Belize, there are break ins and the residents have been killed.
    Belize has one of the highest murder rates in the world. I've heard recently the the US Tavel Advisory lists it as the second most dangerous country.
    Yes, it would be a heavy feeling having ended someone's life. But having two little children to defend perhaps gives one a different mind set. I have no doubt that my wife would claw a person'e eyes out and spit in the sockets defending her children. And she would show no remorse. I'm a bit....just a little...more civilized. I might not spit.

Makoa. We hung out at Daryl's house. I don't know about court. I didn't ask a lot of questions and he didn't talk about the legal status of it.

• Yeah I haven't dug too deep. Just talked to Joe about the last dive trip. He says you're a really nice guy hahaha! Anyway they poked some nice ulua so at least Daryl and Joe are getting some watah time!

Nothing beats a good dog and handgun on the night stand, except maybe a good dog and a short barrel shotgun! Big island get occasional pakalolo growers in our jungle and streams. In Arizona we actually had an intruder break in the house walk into the living room where my young daughter was asleep! The dog went full attack posture and my son came running out of his room with his Glock .40. Needless to say the guy ran out the door and never tried to break in again. I love AZ for the open carry and conceal carry laws! As a perp you never know who's going to put a gun in your face so best move to Chicago where you can prey on the gunless!:laughing: