PWC or kayak for spearfishing?

• I think it'd be cool. You can get or make a sled to pull behind it to hold gear and catch. Easy to tow and launch. Relatively fuel efficient. Greatly expand your range.

Downsides are it would be hard to paddle a jetski back to shore if you have engine trouble, and it seems like people have a lot of that with PWCs. (That's just been my observation). That's what Sea Tow is for I suppose . Also none of the upper body and cardio workout you get by kayaking .

If you are recuperating from a health issue like you mentioned in your other post, though, I don't know if you want to be jet skiing yourself out to trouble in deeper water.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• I have both and they each have their place. I installed a gps/fish finder, they each have a transducer and just swap the main unit. On the jet ski I have a separate sealed battery for the gps and also for a sump pump I installed. Has 2 flush mount pole holders and use a kayak fish bag that straps on the back. I have water towing and always carry a floatable vhf radio, basic tools, food and water. I make sure to be anal about maintenance and service. Use it for scuba or freediving, when freediving can easily take another diver and get where you want fast. Downside is when the water gets rough. Someone on another board said it well, "its like riding a mechanical bull for hours with someone spraying you in the face with a hose". Still love it though and still use the kayak. Do an internet search, there are many ideas on the subject.
    Good luck!

• I think a pwc is a cool way to spearfish. There was a time when I seriously looked into it and considered buying a 4 stroke top of the line pwc. After riding it and envisioning where I would put everything and how I'd maneuver myself on it (I'm 6ft 215lb) my conclusion was that I would only buy it if I could not afford even a small boat, for reasons of comfort/space. By afford I mean not only the initial cost of the boat but also maintenance and storage.

• Also none of the upper body and cardio workout you get by kayaking .

If you are recuperating from a health issue like you mentioned in your other post, though, I don't know if you want to be jet skiing yourself out to trouble in deeper water.

Thanks. I'm pretty recuperated but it's mandatory to be on the meds for 6 months. Only concern would be getting cut or bursting a vessel or somthing while on blood thinners. I have been back to working out since end of march. I don't live right next to the water so I'm not counting on paddling to be a part of my workout routine.

• I have also thought about this mode of transportation. It seems like an awesome way to spearfish and get you where you have to go. I've seen them rigged up with a cooler on the back and fishing pole holders, so im sure you could think of a way to hold your guns. The only down side I see is the maintenance as others have said and also the fuel efficiency. I've talked to many jet ski owners and one of the first things they bring up is the fact despite popular belief they actually burn up gas relatively fast @ $50/full tank, especially high performance models. Also, it might be a PITA to drag around if its even possible. You may be able to drift with it and have the float line attached, but if the current is ripping that is also a PITA. It also sucks to have to drop anchor every where you go. I'd have to agree with macdiver, there's probably certain conditions where the ski would be better & others when the yak would be better.

Images

• download (3).jpg

Relax & Go Spearfishing

Edited 2 times, last by Chase ().

• I would agree with that as well. I guess I should clarify my thinking a little more. I am living and working in gainesville. So the closest places to me are st augastine on the Atlantic side and cedar key on the Gulf side. Either way a kayak is not feasible because of the distance from shore you have to go to reach wrecks and artificial reefs. If I lived further south then a kayak would be a no brainer. But the jet ski would be dual purpose.

• Curious as to why no consideration for a R.I.B or skiff? better mileage, less maintenance and same thing almost trailering. Is it a licensing deal or what?

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Basically a boat is not a financial reality in the immediate future. A used ski I could swing now tho.
    I have plans to get a boat but it will be 2-3 years.

• So a 9-10 ft RIB is with a small outboard is more expensive than a jet? Crazy... I would have thought a skiff would be the same cost and a dinghy/RIB cheaper.

George Steele

• Well I can't say for sure george. Maybe I'm wrong but I was just thinking that if I got caught in anything but calm water 30-40 miles out, I'd rather be on a jet ski then in a really small boat. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm ignorant...... not argumentative. :thumbsup2:

• Hahahahahahaha not saying you are wrong, I don't live in the States so many things I don't know so I ask my questions in earnest, but maybe those are things to check out [emoji4]
    Dude to go offshore in any small craft isn't advisable unless it's flat calm... so a little sit down dinghy with a console would be where I would be looking. But so saying a jet can take some abuse.

George Steele

• There are three at come of the comps I go to. I did see one of the overturned and gear everywhere but there were 3 guys on it at the time and they blitzed everyone from the start.

I love my RIB. More space for the gear and a bigger eski.

• Ok I have to make a confession. .... I didn't know what an RIB was. I looked it up and it definitely looks promising. I'll look into it some more.
    Hey shallow, how far out would you consider taking yours?

• That's what I was getting at, for me even a small boat is better than a pwc. That's why I went with a RIB.

Teaspoon, I love that rack it's great use of space, and considered it for my RIB but figured it makes entry from the transom more difficult. What's it like?