First spearfishing trip at Panama Caribbean side

• Yesterday had the chance to go to "the other side" of Panama and dive more familiar (AND CLEARER!) waters.

Got a nice grouper and a very nice King. Both shot with my new Speardiver Phantom 120 railgun.

This is the grouper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi3tvUWTpnE

And this is the King:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZITfWRSJV0

Pictures to come later. :)

"El Marco" is happy! :cool2:

• Just watched the second video, very cool. You knew he was going to keep on coming.

Also awesome to see the fish cruising the edge of that ledge like that. perfect scenario all around.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Welcome back El Marco [emoji106] Bro I am so excited by that big Kingfish! Still haven't had a chance at one, maybe if I get a boat this summer I can go look for one or 10 [emoji6]

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• The gun shoots nice but a little higher than the one I was using before. I haven't shot it enough to get the hand on it. The grouper was not that far. I don't like long shots. My aim sucks....

Come over George! We'll have fun! :)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• The gun shoots nice but a little higher than the one I was using before. I haven't shot it enough to get the hand on it. The grouper was not that far. I don't like long shots. My aim sucks....

Come over George! We'll have fun! :)

Maybe your aim is amazing at long range, but you keep shooting with those toothpicks so you wouldn't know [emoji22] [emoji1]. What's the excuse now that you live in Panama for not getting a wooden gun? Or pulling out one you already own?

George Steele

• The excuse? Panama is not like the videos you see from Peter Correale... For that kind of diving, you have to drive like 4 hours and ride a boat for 4 more.

Panama spearfishing is DIRTY, MURKY water where you HEAR a lot of fish, but you don't actually see them. Lots of current and suspended plancton. Actually, I don't have the aim with this (120) speargun because I haven't used it much. I always end up picking one of my kids gun. either a 90 or a 100, being the 90 the more suitable for what I've been seing so far.

Fish appear from nowhere and disappears before you can point the shaft to them. It's surreal. But you can hear the corvinas croaking, the goliaths and cuberas exploading, the smaller snapper...

All the fish I have taken so far in the Pacific side could have been taken with a 70-80 cm speargun. Actually, I think the perfect gun for the conditions I have encountered so far would be a 100 cm pneumatic with a good 7 mm shaft. A 100 cm pneumatic is equivalent in lenght to a 75 euro band gun but packs lots more power. The downside is that the aim is totally different and I will need to practice.

A tuna trip here will costs a lot of money and I won't be taking one soon.

Must find where the wahoos gather, but for that, a 120 is more than I have been using so far. ;)

Marco Melis

• Hahahhaha good excuse! You can see the current where you were diving was pumping but the vis looked pretty good hence my "toothpick" comment [emoji6]

George Steele

• Awesome fish, Marco!
    That is some really good footage of the big mackerel as well! I've been itching to see one for a while here, but the season seems to be over for them here..

Panama spearfishing is DIRTY, MURKY water where you HEAR a lot of fish, but you don't actually see them. Lots of current and suspended plancton. Actually, I don't have the aim with this (120) speargun because I haven't used it much. I always end up picking one of my kids gun. either a 90 or a 100, being the 90 the more suitable for what I've been seing so far.

Fish appear from nowhere and disappears before you can point the shaft to them. It's surreal. But you can hear the corvinas croaking, the goliaths and cuberas exploading, the smaller snapper...

Murky water diving is sometimes better! The fish need to come closer to get a look at you. It's just very unsettling sometimes, especially in sharky waters. It sounds like the shore diving conditions here, actually.

• Hahahhaha good excuse! You can see the current where you were diving was pumping but the vis looked pretty good hence my "toothpick" comment [emoji6]

GEORGE!

The videos are from the Caribbean side. I was talking about the Pacific side. There is where you can't see the tip of your spear.

Nish: I'm used to dive in non optimal conditions as I'm from Venezuela where very rarely you'll find top to bottom visibility. And I liked to dive there. But here in Panama, close to the City, we are talking about less than 3 feet (1 meter) sometimes. Just something I can't work out. And not because fear, but because I just can't manage to see the fish before they see me. :(

Marco Melis

• [emoji20] Man that sucks! Sorry I didn't pay enough attention... how far was it to get to the fishing grounds where you shot the Mack? So you were inviting me to come shoot in 3ft vis? Ummmm thanks but no thanks buddy! [emoji1]
    Nish two different species your mac and ours.

George Steele

• [emoji20] Man that sucks! Sorry I didn't pay enough attention... how far was it to get to the fishing grounds where you shot the Mack? So you were inviting me to come shoot in 3ft vis? Ummmm thanks but no thanks buddy! [emoji1]
    Nish two different species your mac and ours.

Same species buddy. That's a king here and there ;)

If you bring the boat and stay on the Caribbean side, you can shot macks in 50-100' visibility. If you cross the canal, you can shot cuberas and amberjacks in 5-15'. But plenty.

There's no perfect world... :(

Marco Melis

• Maybe your aim is amazing at long range, but you keep shooting with those toothpicks so you wouldn't know [emoji22] [emoji1]. What's the excuse now that you live in Panama for not getting a wooden gun? Or pulling out one you already own?

X2:thumbsup2:

• Same species buddy. That's a king here and there ;)

If you bring the boat and stay on the Caribbean side, you can shot macks in 50-100' visibility. If you cross the canal, you can shot cuberas and amberjacks in 5-15'. But plenty.

There's no perfect world... :(

Marco its a little boat, I ain't navigating from Venezuela to Panama in a open 26ft boat! I got stones but I am not as young as I used to be [emoji1]
    Now I am totally confused, the Caribbean side has narrow banded mackerel?
    Trinidad is like what you are describing, 5-15 but with big fish all around.
    I will come visit, but when you are ready to make a 5 day tuna run, let's go get some giant's buddy [emoji106]

George Steele

• So that is a narrow banded mackerel and not a kingfish, that had to be the Pacific side then? I got to figure this out!

George Steele