05/03/2009 La Santa Fe - Yello Jacks and Cobia

• damn! that is a lot of fish, so many yellow jacks!

I gotta head out with you guys one of these days!

China V.I.P

• Estas desaparecido Oto!

I know buddy, a new job and 2 small kids are to spearfishing what kryptonite was for Superman, it has been rough.

I'm dying to get out with you guys, maybe soon. how's the water temp in Miami, is it time for a vest and rash guard yet?

China V.I.P

• Almost, very close. I wasn't cold all day with a 3mm. Pantoja was diving in neoprene shorts and rash guard top. I don't know how Rolo wasn't cooking in his 3mm suit with the hood on. That suit must be compressed down to 1.5mm by now :D

• Awesome catch guys!
    I would hate to hit that spot any time soon...there's no more fish!:D
    Beautiful cobe Rolo!...PB?

Deja la jama que estas gordo cabrón!

• otto . believe it or not i asked about you yesterday. rolo told me how tight with time you were.
    toledo , the fubiest thing happened. i saw a school mof like 5 or 6 big jacks swimm around a little too far , i go up and breath up , then go down slowwly not mving , making some sounds to attract them , then they show up , I stay still and as I'm almost reaching the bottom two come to me , I shot one , and it goes straight down to hole up , i pull hard , but it was to strong , so i hold the line just enough to keep it straight , when i got to the surface , I look down once more and see the jack come out of the hole and head straight to me. i said to myself , is it fucking crazy helping me out like this. but the thig was that there was a goliath chasing after it to swallo it , it was a bout 300 pounds that bitch , I had to pull hard and fast not to loose the fish , when that beast saw me close it headed back as fast as it could to hole up and not see it again.

• Well on the drive to the boat and once we cleared the inlet, we realized that the day would not be pristine. It was a solid 2-4', with more 4's than anything else. Water was green too and on our first spot in about 50-60 feet we had about 20' viz. The wind calmed down as the day progressed and as fish started to trickle in and later flood the coolers. We added a few YJ with some bruisers; my biggest weighed 15 pounds gutted. Dan added his duo of spotted wahoo on his favorite spot and although I am usually not too excited on this place, it did produce a pudgy "Tiburon"...err Cobia.

An assortment of hogs, muttons, porgy, macks, and triggers took their place in the cooler along with a squid I was able to get for the wife. Sandwiches and Smiles on the ride back to the dock.:thumbsup2:

• The day did turn around. The viz wasn't very good but the quality of the water was pleasant later in the day. A sort of warm turquoise blue. The fish colors were really accentuated by this water. I do love diving that spot even when it's just a little fishy. Such a nice variety of pelagics coming through mixed with some bottom fish. I get tired of seeing the same hogs and borderline legal groupers on the murky reef. In that place you have a good chance of a monster swimming through like that Cobia. It had to be at least 50lb.

What happened with the Cobia is I shot a cuda and as soon as I did this Cobia appeared and started circling the wounded cuda. At first I thought it was a shark the way it was moving and yelled to Rolo who was taking his time on the boat for help with keeping it away. What I would've liked to do is just pull the fish to me or dive down and poke at the shark but the cuda is dangerous in itself so I was at a loss on what to do. I was also thinking it's strage because I've never seen anything but nurse sharks at that spot, but then I've never seen a cobia there either. Then the Cobia started nibbling on the cuda and by the way it was opening it's mouth I realized it wasn't a shark. Keep in mind this is all happening way below me. Once I realize it's a huge cobia I yell to Rolo to get over there even harder. I kept the cuda down there for 5 minutes with the cobia around it the whole time. Just as Rolo got to me it decided to start taking off. I pointed desparately at the departing shadow but until now I'm not sure if he saw it at that momement. Anyways I understand he ran into it again 20 minutes later because it was in the cooler when I was forced back on the boat.

I saw Pantoja's jewfish, I agree it was around 300lb. I shot a YJ right in front of it and was afraid it will try and swallow it but the jewfish went the other direction after the shot.

The yellow jacks were no slouches either.

• WOW:0 That is some very nice fish. Great stories. Looks like you guys had a great day.
    It got ruff out there for us yakers so we quit at aprox noon.
    Nice days catch, congratulations of the cobia, beautiful shot:thumbsup2:

• Holy crap, awesome catch guys.

We went north and had that nice water all day. Didn't catch barely anything though.

Davie Peguero

• it's funny I left my cooler down there by the boat and when i got down somebody had stolen the second in size yellow jack i had . they'd better had the bigger I guess. anyways you never know . it's worth mentioning that in all we had five muttons , so they are around already guys.

• Muttons are really around. We were diving sand off the tenneco towers and we see more than 10 each dive. They were all small though , barely 16 inches.

Davie Peguero

• Awesome catch guys!
    I would hate to hit that spot any time soon...there's no more fish!:D
    Beautiful cobe Rolo!...PB?

Deja la jama que estas gordo cabrón!

Daddy syndrome.:) After my first son was born I was close to 255lbs. Yep.:thumbsup2: getting any sleep yet??

Sergio,
    cuidado con los chernones que ya es suficiente con las que tienes en el barco.:laughing3:

Awesome catch guys thanx for the stories.

• it's funny I left my cooler down there by the boat and when i got down somebody had stolen the second in size yellow jack i had.

Sergio, I had a YJ that was a little smaller than yours. I knew it was mine because of the kill hole in the head. I separated it and put it in my cooler along with the lesser AJ I got and the two cudas, waited for Rolo to put in his fish and then put the cooler in the car. When I got home however I could see that the YJ looked bigger and had your gill butchering job on it. It was too late at that point but that means that you should have my YJ and not be short a fish.