spearfishing beginner

• Hello
    I´m from germany and want to start spearfishing. But no one does spearfishing in germany so it is hard to get information here.
    At first can you advice a speargun to me please.
    Here is a page of a german shop that sales spearguns.

http://www.garpun.de/shop/imersion_harpune.php?id=e31522d7790ef9a1e0defd9c36b9644f9&PHPSESSID=84cb4c617279582b67f3b4789fa0872b

Is there a good speargun thereby? And do every speargun need a spool? Or are ther othere ways to affix the line? What elese do I need for going spearfishing?

Thank you for your answeres and I´m sorry for my bad english.
    kind regards David

• where from Germany are you, David? I lived 3 years in Mannheim, really nice place. You will get lots of information in this forum. Enjoy your spearfishing life. because once you start you cant stop. is a addiction :coke:

• :D

ok, back to my questions. can you recomment a speargun to me. I need it for fishes that are max. 60 - 70 cm long (ca. 27 inch).

• It's hard to recommend a gun for conditions we're not familiar with, and not knowing the size and behavior of the fish you'll be going after. The link you posted, I'm sure none of us have seen those guns in person. Some of the guns there are imersion, I realized that when I noticed this silly gun. There's an imersion dealer in Florida but the guns are not popular.

Do you want to know what guns we use here? Or are you only looking at what's available in your area?

What you call a spool we call a reel. No, a reel is not absolutely necessary. I don't like reels, other people do. I use a float line and float. On the above speargun the float line would be attached to the hole at the bottom of the handle.

• From all those spearguns, I would pick a Picasso Century 90 cm. If you are a begginner and will dive in the Mediterranean, that's the best way to go.
    But be carefull! In many places of Europe you need a licence, there are many protected areas and so on, I recommend you to ask in a mediterranean forum.

Try at medfish.com

Good luck!

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Thank you for you answers.
    Of course I have to look what´s available in my area. And I can not find spearguns made from AB Biller for example in German stores.
    Ok, so I take a closer look at the picasso century.
    What brands that made spearguns do you have in your area? And which are the most populars?

david

• America is a whole different world to Europe when it comes to spearfishing. My parents are from Italy and I know a little bit about it. Here we use more powerfull/heavier spearguns. There you need a lighter, more maneuvrable speargun. A 90 cm good European speargun (Picasso) will do the job.
    I like to use them with 6.5 mm shafts and 20 mm bands, but that make them more difficult to load. If you are a begginer, as you said, just get the Century and leave it the way it comes from the Factory and have fun!

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Beuchat makes good guns.

my friend robert has a couple of them, and i have shot them and they shoot well.

the only bad thing about those euro guns is that they use a thin shaft 6.5 that a good sized fish will turn into a pretzel.

this is beucaht's new gun looks pretty sweet

i think eric salado shoots this gun in the 125cm size

• davidpil---If you are not in a big hurry to buy a gun, then I would wait till the new Pargo gun becomes available. It should be a real bargain priced gun for the money. That's what I'm going to do before I buy another gun:D
    If you ever get to Miami you are invited to go out yak spearin with us:)
    Hope this helps

• Thank you for your tips. You really helped me. If I speared my first fish I will tell you ;) but that can take a bit more time.
    hau: I will tell you if I am in miami ;) thank you for the inviting.