hands free equalizing

• Wouldn't it be great? I practiced it at one point and managed to do it a few times. But it takes me too long and I have to focus on it too much so it's not applicable to real diving for me. I believe it's natural for some people and others.. forget about it.

• I've done it by cheating. If you let the mask squeeze you a bit as you descend just right it blocks your nose up to a certain amount of pressure. After that air will just start coming out of your nose. If the "leaking" pressure is greater than the equalization pressure it will equalize you as you let air into your mask.

As for truly hands free I have read stuff and still have no idea where to begin.

I don't know if it is coincidence or not but all 2 hands free equalizers I know can dive really deep/ have long breath holds.

Davie Peguero

• I post this some where in the past but cannnt find. I've been doing this for like 15 years plus. and i really cant use my hands to Compensate no more. It became a habit. The only time i might use my handsis when im a little congested and might need a little extra pressure to reset. It really feels like you are trying to Swallow your own spit. when you are doing it. Then you learn how to manage the muscles in the neck. When you do the motion even under water you can feel it. in your ears. Is the same feeling when you go driving in a mountain and your ears feel blocked. and you do like a yawn (Spelling) to help you clear your ears. Same principle. If you are a person that suffers from congestion in the morning,. Is going to be harder for you to accomplish this right away. but as the days goes the passages clear. and becomes natural. I used it speacially at the beginning to collect bugs at nigh while freediving. Small speargun in one hand and Spot light in the other. So it was the only comfortable option. :)

• Back in 2003, I was reading something on DeeperBlue about clearing and how when you swallow some spit... that clicking sound in your ears is actually the clearing function. Thought it was interesting and within a couple minutes, found I could isolate that movement. Never imagined it was that easy...

Next time I went diving, I clicked my ears internally a few times & have never needed to pinch my nose since. :)

• Back in 2003, I was reading something on DeeperBlue about clearing and how when you swallow some spit... that clicking sound in your ears is actually the clearing function. Thought it was interesting and within a couple minutes, found I could isolate that movement. Never imagined it was that easy...

Next time I went diving, I clicked my ears internally a few times & have never needed to pinch my nose since. :)

:agree1:

Exactly my point...same feeling same result. It helps becasue you also avoid any movements while going down.

+1

Once you get it figured out you're like.."That's it?" I've found that most explanations of it are waay too over complicated.

• i can do it, but like Dan said, it requires a lot of focus for me, cos I have shitty sinuses and am generally congested..it is cool though, when it is happeneing well

i like to spear fish

• This is how I do it. I put my tongue flat against the roof of my mouth and constrict the throat muscles while pushing the tongue against the roof of the mouth. You get a clicking sound in your ear. Like fuzz said you isolate that sensation. Still doing it in the water is a whole other game.

• i just started doing it . never thought about it. but it is very useful when diving for rocklobster, one hand lobstergun, one hand the light. also find it makes the much better videos of shooting fish with cam in one hand and gun in the other, then mounting the cam on the gun.

• I've tried to figure out how to do this for the past couple of years. After reading this thread for some reason I tried a few times and can simply do it. I've yet to try it in the water, but I'm pretty confident that I can do it. Thanks guys!:D Stoked!