South Florida visibility factors

• Ewwww, funny thing is you can usually shoot some really nice yellow jacks and other pelagics in that area. Cool video, I had never seen it like that.

• Dan--I don't know.
    I was researching ideas on how to better forecast what the water viz in my area might be and came across this video of the "Hollywood Florida Outflow Pipe".
    The Hollywood Pipe is just 1 of 4 pipes that I know of in my area. :(
    These sewer pipes and the near shore current and the tides waters in and out of the inlets are contributing factors to the viz in my area.
    I would like to learn the EXACT locations of these sewer pipes exit ends if anyone has the numbers please.

• Apparently it makes for good chum, did you see the amount of fish waiting for the ''tasty'' morsels?:D
    A friend of mine dove such a place here in P.R and he said he could not belive the amount and size of muttons and groupers around the place. Did not shoot a single one of them.

• I dove once in a place like that in Venezuela. Was FULL of fish. I got out from the water when I saw a condom floating besides me. :@

I got hepatytis two week later... :(

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Dan--I don't know.
    I was researching ideas on how to better forecast what the water viz in my area might be and came across this video of the "Hollywood Florida Outflow Pipe".
    The Hollywood Pipe is just 1 of 4 pipes that I know of in my area. :(
    These sewer pipes and the near shore current and the tides waters in and out of the inlets are contributing factors to the viz in my area.
    I would like to learn the EXACT locations of these sewer pipes exit ends if anyone has the numbers please.

Hau after I saw this I begin looking diligently for information on these types of outfall sites. The EPA has a plethora of information on there site but it is impossible to navigate and find anything. Then I stumbled on this while looking for information on deep injection wells for school which is one method used to deal with waste water.

The water they inject into wells is actually treated to a high level to avoid contamination of the ground water supply. But the outfall from that pipe does not seem to be well treated at all, but I might be wrong. I did not get to read through it but I hope it helps a little if you have not found anything. As far as I am concerned these sort of things are the closest thing to rape on the environment and I have to admit I was very ignorant to the fact that this level of pollution existed in this area.

• Quote:
    Originally Posted by hau
    Dan--I don't know.
    The Hollywood Pipe is just 1 of 4 pipes that I know of in my area.

Kyle c- quote
    Hau after I saw this I begin looking diligently for information on these types of outfall sites. The EPA has a plethora of information on there site but it is impossible to navigate and find anything. Then I stumbled on this while looking for information on deep injection wells for school which is one method used to deal with waste water.
    The water they inject into wells is actually treated to a high level to avoid contamination of the ground water supply. But the outfall from that pipe does not seem to be well treated at all, but I might be wrong. I did not get to read through it but I hope it helps a little if you have not found anything. As far as I am concerned these sort of things are the closest thing to rape on the environment and I have to admit I was very ignorant to the fact that this level of pollution existed in this area.

Kyle c---the information from your post above is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you :thumbsup2:
    I have one pipe numbers now and as soon as the weather clears I'll be working on finding the other three pipes in my area.
    The "boil" from these outflow pipes is what affects our viz the most I believe.
    From what I read, this "boil" is on the surface, can be 800yds wide in a stream that generally flows South to North.
    Thanks for the research Kyle c. :thumbsup2:

btw--the sea is NOT green, it is BROWN with suspended sand after 5 days of 30mph wind :(
    The sea is a very depressing sight out my back door right now :(

• Bummer, thanks for doing this research Hau, those pipes are disgusting and I dont want to be anywhere near them :@

LunkerBuster---
    1. "disgusting"==I agree 100% :(
    2. "I don"t want to be anywhere near them" ==I agree 100%, but a pollution "boil" 800yds wide starting at Miami and flowing South to North is impossible for a shore/yak spearo NOT to be swimming in North of the South most pipe. :(

I'll post back here about these pipes as I gain intel.
    Thanks to all who contribute to this information

• Ahh don't be so dainty :) People actually dive those, I've tried diving it too but couldn't find the pipe because the vis was bad both times. I did find the ledge it comes out of though. There's some big fish to be had there sometimes according to some of the local divers.

I don't believe the pipes are what's controlling the vis. I'm with you on trying to find what is. The reason I don't think it's the pipes is because of some conditions that I've witnessed. You guys never go out of the inlets so you don't see it. I think vis has more to do with currents that either bring clean water in from further out, or don't. My guess is that as a rule the vis here is mediocre. It can become worse by winds creating waves and churning up the bottom, and/or outflow from the inlets. It can become better if currents bring in clean water from offshore.

• Some of these pipes are not even active anymore. If you look for them using Googleearth with the google ocean feature activated you can see where some of them are. I think that the ports/inlet and the currents have a bigger impact on the viz of the area. Specially during low tide where everything get dragged out from the different inlets and spread across by the different currents. In my experience having winds blowing from the east or Southeast, high tide and lack of rain for a few days is what yields the best viz. This is just my personal opinion, I could be wrong.

• The things that affect clarity is the turbidity of the water.Turbidity is increased or decreased by the amount of suspended particulate in the water either in the form of sand or algae, most cases I think it is ocean currents coming over the ledges and churning up sand.

• I had a friend that loved diving these holes. You can see them on the approach, it looks like boiling water with no bubbles. We have dove the ones in Miami/Haulover and Hollywood.

I hate diving the things with a passion.

Davie Peguero

• The things that affect clarity is the turbidity of the water.Turbidity is increased or decreased by the amount of suspended particulate in the water either in the form of sand or algae, most cases I think it is ocean currents coming over the ledges and churning up sand.

i agree, whered u go to school kyle?

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• FAU Boca Raton Campus.

I have no idea why you would want to dive at one of these sites I would avoid them like the plague. The effluent coming out of those pipes is primary treated wastewater, that means filtering for large debris and about 50% removal of total dissolved solids (bacteria, metals, etc.) and disinfection with chlorine that is it. At the point of dumping you will have the highest concentration of bad shit.... literally.

• I had a friend that loved diving these holes. You can see them on the approach, it looks like boiling water with no bubbles. We have dove the ones in Miami/Haulover and Hollywood.

I hate diving the things with a passion.

X2....dunno,something about diving the "Stinkhole" wasn't very appealing to me either.

I remember those days....Me and Davie would always volunteer to drive when we got there:D

• x3 on the not diving the shit hole.

If any of you guys want to dive it. Ill be happy to drive while you shoot shit eating chubs and jacks. Ill make sure to keep the boat close by as I have seen big HH's around these places :thumbsup2: