A few from Belize

• Hi Hank,

I spearfish out of hopkins/sittee point in the stann creek district. Im always looking for a buddy. I also know jorge from the cobia farm. although we haent speared together yet. where do you spear out of in belize... the nearest village to me is hopkins village.

Best

Jonathan

• Jonathan, didn't we meet at Emma's near Haney Shrimp Farm one day? Your dad has a charter fishing boat. Filipino? Jorge and I were having a taste test with Cubera snapper and black grouper. About two years ago?

I go from Rendezvous Caye, east of Manatee and Gales Point down to Gran Channel. Also do Turneffe.

Jorge has gone to Viet Nam and has a new baby girl. My son Jake is in Manila but coming back in June. Ya man, I'm always looking for a good buddy. I go with Doc Usher and Andre DuQuesnay a lot.

• Thanks Dan and Marco.

I have talked to Belizespearo's dad. He's a Filipino and BSpearo was born there too. So was my son. The lady I referred to, Ms Emma, is from Bacolod, Negros, which is where I sold a lot of tiger prawn fry back in the 80s and 90s.
    His dad has a very nice boat. We talked about doing some blue water hunting a couple years ago because he knows where some wahoo are.
    The brotherhood of Speardiver lives on. ya man.

• Went out with the boys yesterday. Mo and Tino are getting into it. Tino shot a small jack and Mo had a few shots on hogfish but missed. He was using one of Doc's older guns.
    We were hunting some shallow spots that have small cuts going in through the reef. Dog snappers seem to like to hide in the holes in these places. I still can't figure this out. I see schools of dogs out on the drop offs in the bigger cuts. Very different behavior. I guess they all must go in and hide at night though otherwise they would be easy pickings for sharks?
    It's fun though laying on the bottom in only 20 feet of water in between the spurs of coral.
    There was a huge school of horse eye jacks that came in. 8-15 lbs or so. Must have been 500 of them. I dove to the bottom and moved real slow up to them and then surfaced from behind a spur. They were all around me and I could almost touch them Mo got all excited and came sprinting up behind me and spooked them .haha. But I didn't shoot any. I told Mo not to. He would have lost his gun.
    Doc cleaned up as usual with snapper, trunk fish, trigger fish....Good eating.

I was thinking how I haven't been out hunting the deeper snappers since last December. It got to where that's all Jake and I wanted to do. But yesterday I realized why I really started getting into this. Watching the boys and playing in the shallows and still getting some nice fish. It's all about just being out there with good people and kids and having fun. ya man.

• First decent cubera of the year. We hit this spot late afternoon after "cut hopping" north to south. The current was ripping with the outgoing tide all day. Since everyone was hunting and no designated boat driver, we were a bit limited. We did find a few nice fish outside the cuts and to the side where the current was weaker.
    At this last spot there were about 5 of these cuberas hanging out near a big hole where some big fish hide. We've seen monster jewfish in this hole before and maybe there was one in there keeping these guys from entering for shelter for the night..
    I dove down about 6 times hiding behind rocks trying to get close. I almost had a shot on the biggest one but just as I looked at him....."whup" !! all of them bolted to just out of range. But finally this one came in close enough. Also got a nice black. But, the sun was dropping so we had to head home,.....where the tide was so low, it took us 45 minutes to push the boat through the shallow in the canal.

• Congratulations, good cubera
    The sound made by under water snapper is awesome when to Fleeing.

Felicitaciones, buen cubera.
    El sonido del cubera bajo el agua cuando escapa es impresionante.

:toast:

José

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!

• Yep, it's a very distinct "WHUP" sound as they whip their tails.

• A few from yesterday. We hit two cuts. Got a few other smaller snappers and a couple nice yellow jacks....and one hog.
    A big bull shark came right up to me and the boys twice. Mo was crawling up on my back. haha. He's a man today.
    I finally got into one of the schools on the wall. Shot two and missed the third one. That's when the shark showed up. I'd seen one earlier in the shallows too.

• hank, buenos pargos, felicitaciones, ese tipo de pargo, que tiene la lagrima abajo del ojo (linea blanca abajo del ojo), le decimos aguadera.

hank, good snapper, congratulations, that kind of snapper, whith white line below the eye, we say aguadera

Buen apetito!
    :toast:

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!