Murky Water Lucky Shot

• Went out of my favorite spot around noon today and found the water to be very silty due to the relentless downpours two weeks ago. Unfortunately there's a river that leads to the ocean just east of my spot with the current usually heading west, hence the turbidity. 8 foot vis at it's best. I had only managed two parrotfish in about an hour's worth of effort when I decided to try my "money spot" before the clouds rained on my parade.

I took a few deep breaths and laid in the bottom some 30ft below and scratched the bottom in the low vis water. Some small schoolmasters appeared and a nice-sized mutton also made a cameo. I held fast due to that sixth sense. I inched forward and probably kicked twice when all of a sudden a huge head with big fangs materialized from the haze. We were both startled at first and the big cubera turned once with a thump of its tail and bolted almost instantly into "nowhere". At that instant I took a shot in the "dark" and my gun was almost ripped out of my hand!:0

I started for the surface kicking hard as the snapper tried just the opposite. I instantly thought the snapper was in the 40lb range judging by its fight but as I reached the surface and used my buoyancy to my advantage, I soon had a clear view of its size. Although impressive, I instantly saw why it fought so hard. I had speared it just forward of its tail fin! A fight ensued as I tried to subdue the fish and after what seemed like an eternity, I had my left hand in its gills and my right hand was braining it with my knife. Anyways, a PB Cubera.;)

• Beautiful fish! That's a hell of a story. I jumped up from my chair when you said you made a blind shot and got him. I first saw the pic of course and was expecting you to say that the fish came back, as improbable as that is. The booboom sound of the fish taking off must have startled you into squeezing the trigger :D In seriousness tremendous presence of mind and staying cool :thumbsup5: That moment would stay with me my whole life.

• Nice story and even nicer fish. I can imagine how it must have felt squezing the trigger into the dark hoping for the best and then feeling the pull of the fish. AWESOME!!

• Nice story and even nicer fish. I can imagine how it must have felt squezing the trigger into the dark hoping for the best and then feeling the pull of the fish. AWESOME!!

A Pulmon,

Words cannot describe that feeling!!!! I have only done it once before and I swore to myself I would never do it again as I came up empty handed but being that I was diving solo and there was not the danger of shafting a fellow diver, I didn't think twice this time and it paid off heftily!:thumbsup2:

• A Pulmon,

Words cannot describe that feeling!!!! I have only done it once before and I swore to myself I would never do it again as I came up empty handed but being that I was diving solo and there was not the danger of shafting a fellow diver, I didn't think twice this time and it paid off heftily!:thumbsup2:

That fish knew what a speargun can do and they are not stupid. That was the only way to get him.
    It's like playing the slots, you know what you can get, but you don't know if you will get it.
    Congratulations and Buen Provecho.

• I'm waiting on some venison from my brother in Kingsport,Tenn. to see if we can have some "Surf & Turf" for my father's B-Day this Sunday.

• Did you put the camera on timer? Looks like you were a little tired holding that pose :D What did it end up weighing? Looks like 20-25lb.

Yeah Dan, I had it on timer. I found a piece of wood, stuck it in the ground, propped the camera and ran back to hold it for about 20 seconds or so....yeah I was a bit tired.

Thanks Rolo! Hecha pa' aca coñooooo! Si no te voy a dejar sin pescados!:D

• Lindo, lindo el pargote ese:thumbsup2:, mira que se joda por donde le diste el tiro, lo importante es que lo tienes en la mano para comertelo:D a mi me paso hace 2 años con un pampano que peso 25 libras un tiro igual al que le diste al pargo.

Buen provecho

Pucho

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

Edited once, last by Pucho ().

• gozalo broder. It's really a nice fish to see. I have noticed that where fish are spooky it's kind of better to have not so good viz. I remember in cuba the guys used to go to the ponds and hunt tilapia, carp and tenca. there viz at best is like 5 ft, but mostly 2 . Most of the time the shot is taken in the dark. I suck at that kind of fishing but i saw guys who wold do very good . They even look for the tilapia by the sound , it's really unbeliebable.

• Yeah Dan, I had it on timer. I found a piece of wood, stuck it in the ground, propped the camera and ran back to hold it for about 20 seconds or so....yeah I was a bit tired.

That's exactly what I would've done except beach diving here in Ft Lauderdale you're not going to find a piece of wood, a broken beach chair or umbrella in the evening if you're lucky :rolleyes1: Thanks for the pic!