Best Freediving Mask

• Ok guys, what dive masks are you using, and why do you prefer them? I have an Omer Bandit Exclusive with the mirror tint, and it sucks :(. When I dive I can barely distinguish shapes in front of me lol. From the first use it drips in water no matter how you adjust it, so I threw it in a corner and now use a cheap $10 mask i bought on amazon (which works perfectly :)).

• I'm using a ScubaPro I found in a shop. Very low profile and low volume. Clear lens.

I have a mirrored lens mask too, that I don't use.I gave it to my buddy. It's just too dark for the type of hunting I do. I think it would be ok for either hunting in shallow water on the reef with a lot of sunlight, or, blue water hunting in very clear water with big fish.
    I'm usually in about 40-80 feet of water and want to be able to see the fish on, or near the bottom. It's hard with that mask.

• I use the Speardiver Stealth mask.

I also like the OMER Alien, and Cressi Nano if you want an ultra low volume mask.

Just because a mask doesn't seal on your face doesn't mean it sucks, it may fit someone else fine, as long as the mask is well made. Mirrored lenses have a darkening effect and reduce visibility, they're used in clear water only.

• Dan, I bought this mask in Diver's Direct in Orlando and the guy took it out and did a seal test to see if it was the right fit for my face...he said it passed :(. That wasn't the case when I went diving with it. It fogged up terrible, even with defogger.

• Fogging is a separate issue. All new masks may fog and new omer masks fog consistently. This is easily fixed by giving the mask the lighter treatment. Use a lighter on the lenses, being careful not to put the flame on the frame or skirt, don't allow the glass to get too hot. Wash off soot and repeat. I don't even need spit with my masks after doing this.

• DIESEL

The masks are neither better nor worse, only to be adapted to the physiognomy of the face of each person, ie they are a very personal choice is something extremely difficult
    try on a dry gum is one thing, another is when you're in the water is another world
    so it is always better if someone has a mask that we like to let try it on the water.

<º)))))><

Las mascaras no son ni mejores ni peores, solo deben adaptarse a la fisonomía de la cara de cada persona, es decir son algo muy personal, la elección es algo sumamente difícil
    probarse una mascar en seco es una cosa, otra es cuando estas en el agua es otro mundo
    por eso es mejor siempre si alguien tiene una mascara que nos guste dejar que la probemos en el agua.

• yep, Ramon nailed it...borrow afew and dive with them

the fogging is a result of the silicon on the inside of the lenses. a lighter or a good toothpaste scrubbing should get you set

i like to spear fish

• I've used Omer Abyss, Bandit, Alien, Riffe frameless, Cressi Matrix and Big Eye, and Aqualung Micromask. My two favorites are the Omer Abyss, and the Cressi masks. All exept the Omer Abyss, Riffe, and Cressi masks give me uncomfortable squeeze between my eyes. Also, I usually have a beard and mustache and the Cressis seem to leak the least on me. If I slap some Belly Jelly or Vaseline on the whiskers they all work though. I prefer the Big Eye mask for its gigantic windows. Matrix coming in a close second.

• :D;)lunker jajajjejajejejej

I clean them with kitchen gel dishwasher and a few drops of ammonia with hot water leaving a couple of days, then rubbed with gauze, then rinse thoroughly with water
    Burning with the burner, you can keep the black smoke stained glass and is not removed

<º)))><

Yo las limpio con gel de cocina friegaplatos y unas gotas de amoniaco con el agua calientes dejar un par de días, después se frota con una gasa y luego aclarar bien con agua
    Quemando con el mechero, puede quedarse el cristal manchado del humo negro y no se quita

• So the lighter and toothpaste tricks are a one time fixes it all or a regular before dive thing? Here in Antigua, we have a special bush that divers look for before dives, and dip the leaves in water and scrub the lenses. It sots up quite well and works perfectly as a defogger.

• Lighter is a one time fix. Burn the whole lens area not leaving the flame for more than an instant in any one spot. Don't let the glass get too hot. You only do this on the inside of the mask. Be careful not to burn the skirt. The soot will wash right off.

• Dan, I bought this mask in Diver's Direct in Orlando and the guy took it out and did a seal test to see if it was the right fit for my face...he said it passed :(. That wasn't the case when I went diving with it. It fogged up terrible, even with defogger.

use toothpaste

Que viva la pesca :cuba:

• Fogging is a separate issue. All new masks may fog and new omer masks fog consistently. This is easily fixed by giving the mask the lighter treatment. Use a lighter on the lenses, being careful not to put the flame on the frame or skirt, don't allow the glass to get too hot. Wash off soot and repeat. I don't even need spit with my masks after doing this.

Waite, what? put flame to the glass? I just bought a Mares mask and I was astonished at how fast it fogs and how badly it fogs..I tried anti-fog and i think it made it worse.

any other secrets to anti fogging that do not contain flame? I heard that toothpaste works..

I searched the forums for Fogging, hope this is a appropriate thread to post my question

any help is appreciated..sucks to deal with fogging..oddly enough I have never had this bad of an issue..

• Short version: Just flame it. End of story. Youtube it, lots of tutorials.

Longer version: Yeah, you can try the less aggressive ones first like toothpaste and dish washing soap but some masks really only clear up with burning. So, I don't even bother with anything else than a flame to new masks.