Broward Beach Conditions

• went out yesterday from Meade st hahahaha...should have stayed in bed

I went to my buddy Jordan's house to load up the yaks at around 8. we were planning to take the tandem and a single to bring out my buddy Rob on his first dive..rob is a big boy(295lbs) and a total newb to diving but has been fishing since he could walk and loves the ocean, so we figured it would be a good way for Jordan and I to take it slow since we hadn't dove in like 5 wks.

to skip the stupid derails, we made it to meade at around 12 !!!! and were greeted with a stiff southerly wind and 1-2 ft...seemed do-able, so we geared up...Rob and I in the tanden and Jordan solo...I clip everything to the yak and launch...rob reaches out to splash some water on his face...flip
    we right the yak, get hiim in, I get in...gear all still here..paddle on...we get over the first reef and jordan jumps in to check the viz..pea soup..he estimates 8 ft. while we are discussing if we should go out further or just try to explore here, rob tries t oturn around and get to his water...flip. this time the righting goes a little slower but we finally do get it up and one of the gear bags is missing....the clip is there, but the bag is gone.

I quickly realize that we are drifting fast and don't want to lose any more gear so I grab a mask and dive to find the gear bag minus a few small items that had slipped out of the hole in the side (the clip had torn out the bag's anchor strap and thus the bag was not attached to the yak).
    we finally made it back to the the beach about 1/2 mile south of meade (did i mention the current and wind) and dragged the yaks what felt like 100 miles to the car...all I lost was an anchor, a bag of replacement wishbones (just old shooting line, so no biggie) and two cheapo spear tips for Jordan's gun..not too bad but.... I should have stayed in bed :)

good to get wet though...

oh, funny story too. While I was trying to find the gear bag that fell, I thought we were still over the first reef, but we had drifted over some sand...I dove looking in all directions for the red bag and expected to see the bottom once i got close...slam.... head first into the sand :) never saw it at all. ..looked just like the water .....once i righted myself i did see the bag and made it to it on the same breath..prolly would have had no chance if not

good luck weekday spearos :)

i like to spear fish

• meade 830-1200
    scott and i went out to middle grounds and worked way back into first
    viz was idk prbably 20-25 in 30deep. overcast and choppy but patches of sun here and there. nice day ocean was lively lots of reef fish out and about, i saw a very very nice spani mack and got two hogs, scott shot a nicer hog but it got off, i saw him creep up on it and was good shot but somehow it worked loose. anyway nice day conditions pretty good coonsidereing what a shit storm yesterday was.
    no hau today he must of had a rough shift last night.
    -untiil next time-

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• meade 830-1200
    scott and i went out to middle grounds and worked way back into first
    viz was idk prbably 20-25 in 30deep. overcast and choppy but patches of sun here and there. nice day ocean was lively lots of reef fish out and about, i saw a very very nice spani mack and got two hogs, scott shot a nicer hog but it got off, i saw him creep up on it and was good shot but somehow it worked loose. anyway nice day conditions pretty good coonsidereing what a shit storm yesterday was.
    no hau today he must of had a rough shift last night.
    -untiil next time-

does middle ground = second reef?

I thought for a second you guys were superheros yakking out the THE middle grounds in the gulf :crazy:

sounds like a nice day..glad the viz was opening up a bit

i like to spear fish

• ha, no ive always heard middle grounds as the gulf also but im referiing to the space between the first and second reef. maybe from now on ill just call it the "big long nothing", but hey its where fish are a lot of times.didnt see any of your stuff on the bottom but did see a perfect imprint of your face in the sand

• 2-04-10

hella choppy day, felt llike a rollercoaster getting out past the first,
    scott hau and i at meade working from 2nd reef area back into ledge
    viz was pretty good further east but got worse and worse as we swam in.
    pretty fun day very little current other than the sway brought on with the waves. saw many 12-14 inch hogs, then came across this guy. pretty enjoyable day for a little 3 hour trip , but time for escuela.

• At Meade St
    begin at 9am------------------end at 3pm
    wind from NE at 22mph------same
    current from N at 1/2mph---same
    viz 25f in 25fsw--------------18f in 18fsw
    seas aprox 3f----------------same
    water temp 70F
    air 68F 90%clouds----------74F 25% clouds

Today was exactly as sdeisen said.
    Scott, sdeisen and me did good today considering the marine forecast said "Small craft should exercise caution:D" Today was NOT the day for beginning yak spearos because of the 3f beach surf, high winds and low viz. I'm glad to have had experienced yak spearos with me today. We lost no gear and no one got hurt. We FILLED my scupper with gear (my scupper will hold ALL the gear for 2 spearos inside the hatches) in case someone flipped. My whole cockpit was completely flooded by braking waves for the first 5 min going out through the surf. I love my scupper pro :thumbsup2:
    Right now as I write this the beach wind dial is reading 32mph from the East :(

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• At Meade St today
    begin at 830----------------------end at noon
    wind from W at 28mph----------same
    current from N at 1/2mph------same
    viz 25f in 25fsw 2nd reef------same
    seas 3-4f in 25fsw 2nd reef---same
    water temp 71F
    air temp 68F 75% clouds------78F 15% clouds

Was glad to get back to shore today :( The normal 20min paddle back to shore in from the second reef took 55min today against the 28mph West wind :@
    I was VERY glad to have my scupper pro and high tech CF paddle to get me back in, otherwise I might have landed in the Bahamas :@
    The first 200yds out from the beach looks flat, but on the 2nd reef the seas build to 3-4f rolling East :@
    Viz is improving. I saw 1 hog, 1 dog and 1 schoolmaster that met my new ET RA:D
    If the wind continues from the West tomorrow I would caution anyone from yaking / swimming beyond the 1st reef.
    Also exercise caution as there are LOTS of boats. And LOTS of Man-O-Wars in the water and on the beach

LOTS of Man-O-Wars in the water and on the beach

Boy do i really hate those guerreros portugueses. (Man O War) Really nasty buggers. I hd a one on one encounter with them. Got saved by the hoodon my wetsuit. One reason more why having a hoodie is very important. Other than the sun.

• At Meade St
    begin at 830am-----------end at noon
    wind from SW at 5mph----from NE at 15mph
    current from N at 2 mph---same
    viz 25f in 30fsw-----------25f in 25fsw
    seas 2f-------------------seas 2-3f
    water temp 70F
    air temp. 60F, 15% clouds--72F cloudless

scott, sdeisen and friend of sdeisen and me at Meade St for half a day
    viz is improving. Seas are improving. Still having a hard time finding the fish.
    I lucked out an got 1 nice hog, another hog, and several other reef fish.
    ___

• I really wanna go tomorrow, but i'm seeing predictions of 27mph winds at 12pm, and 30mph winds after, which kinda scares me. Plus I don't know if the viz is any good...
    What do you guys think

• scott hau and i this morning 830
    seas pretty flat minus some shore pound and a few sets. (very surfable)
    went out good ways past the first but not quite to the second. scott got a nice male hog around 20"
    we started out in 38' water and worked shallower to about 25'. i saw the biggest queen trigger of my life. very pretty green and yellow.. also came across some cool little half caves and trenches that ran deep and big enough to fit into,, most of them were holding big margates but i didnt want to shatter dans record. ;) haus still out there, good viz i bet hes doing well im sure he'll post up later.. im at school so gotta go