Broward Beach Conditions

• Weather on the beach cams looks good guys!!!!!!

I'm so fucking excited to get back to Miami. . .

Edit: not looking so good anymore.

Edited 2 times, last by LOMartin ().

• Sunny Isles today
    begin at 830am-------------end at noon
    wind from SW at 5mph------NE at 15mph
    current from N at 1/2mph----same
    viz 40f in 25fsw -------------30f in 25fsw
    seas almost flat--------------seas less than 2f
    water temp 71F
    air temp. 63F, 10% clouds ---74F 10% clouds

solo today
    I was lazy today an just went out to the Fish Barrel and "shot fish in a barrel" :)
    shot a whole family of hogs in 1 hour. Boar, sow and 2 little ones :D
    todays conditions were great. The air temp is up and it feels good just chillin in the sun on the yak :)
    Saw 2 reefies that were not happy to see me in their territory

LOMartin--welcome home brother :toast:
    ____

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

• Meade St. Solo today. Very rough out 5-6 ft. Vis was less than 10 ft when I got out there but cleared up to 25-30 ft by the time I left. I got sea sick:barf:, but got one hog and had a good time. Besides the rough seas the weather was awesome.

• Sunny Isles today
    begin at 830am-------------end at 330
    wind from E at 15mph------SE at 16mph
    current from S at 1/2mph----same
    viz 35f in 25fsw -------------30f in 25fsw
    seas 2f-3f------------------seas 4-5 with 6f swells
    water temp 71F
    air temp. 70F, 20% clouds ---78F with high scattered clouds

solo today
    Today was too rough to go out any deeper than 25fsw :(
    drank a lot of sea water down the snorkel today :(
    seas just kept getting higher and viz just kept getting lower so I just gave up and came in at 330. I wasn't getting any fish anyway :(
    swam for 7 hours an got 8 small fish. 2 hogs (18 and 17in), the rest small dogs and porgies.
    had a grouper at least 34in long follow me around the reef for 30min waiting for a free meal :)
    let go of my anchor one time and when it hit the reef what looked like a flounder with blue dots swam away :confused1:
    caught a surprise big wave and yak surfed at least 50yds in to the beach :thumbsup2:
    (the key to successful scupper pro yak surfing is to get all the weight as far rearward as possible or you'll see the scupper nose bury in the bottom of the wave :@ )
    _________

Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

• That was a peacock flounder. I never see them over here, used to see them often in Cuba. They're not good for consumption, they're full of these fine flexible bones that cuda also have in a couple of places in the body.

You looked pretty refreshed today, for having done all that swimming and carrying of the yak. hau's found the solution to staying fit; dive every day :)

• Meade St today
    begin at 8am-------------end at 1pm
    wind from SE at 8mph------S at 26mph :@
    current from S at 2 1/2mph---S at 1 1/2mph
    viz 35f in 35fsw -------------30f in 30fsw
    seas 2f------------------seas 4f with 5f swells in the storm
    water temp 71F
    air temp. 74F, overcast ---84F storming

solo at Meade today
    went out for half a day and got caught in a local storm shower with 26mph wind and couldn't see shore. :@
    all for 4 lousy fish. 2 hogs an 2 small jacks :(
    I'm getting pretty experienced at this yak surfing thing :thumbsup2:

• LunkerBuster--Ya mon. My idea of glueing the compass to my yak works great.:thumbsup2:
    I wouldn't dare pull my GPS out in a storm like that for fear of loosing it.
    I was very happy when I got close enough that I could see the shore through the rain :thumbsup2:

The storm pasted about an hour ago and right now looking out the back door the sea is almost flat with 1f beach surf :thumbsup2:

spearos--how do you like my new signature line?
    Thanks Dan

Spearfishing Store

Edited 3 times, last by hau ().

• Meade St today
    begin at 830am-------------end at noon
    wind from SW at 5mph------SE at 14mph
    current zero----------------from S at 1mph
    viz 40f in 25fsw -------------30f in 25fsw
    seas almost flat------------2f or less
    water temp 71F
    air temp. 65F cloudless ---80F cloudless

Rhodyhunter an me at Meade st today
    we both got a small mac each and that is all
    today was a beautiful yak freedivingspearfishing day, (except for the rapidly declining viz)
    lots of speed boats on the water where we were
    saw bait fish jumping and running on the surface just as we were stowing our gear into the yaks to come in
    Hope others did much better than us

Thanks Kyle c

attan--the way many of us see it, gun ownership and gun hunting would be outlawed here in the U.S. if it were not for the NRA.
    The NRA has lots of money and a huge lobby in Washington with hundreds of NRA employees working everyday to protect the rights of Americans to keep guns and to hunt.
    Recreational fishing and spearfishing does NOT have a big lobby or money or a united voice like the NRA to protect us from the fish huggers. The way I look at it is that I am a hunter on land AND in the water. Spearfishing and recreational fishing NEEDS the NRA to protect us from the fish huggers as well as to protect us from the animal huggers.
    I could go on and on about this but I think I answered your question about the NRA
    Thanks for taking the time to read this :toast:

Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• I too was at meade yesterday with my buddy Jordan. My goals were modest and humble...to re-learn how to dive (it has been too long), to test some of my new flashers, to test the new GoPro, and to get a few small fish to break in the new deep fryer..in that order :)

I felt pretty decent with my diving for someone who is out of shape and out of practice, I was doing 30-60 sec dives in 15-30 fsw and really not pushing it at all.

as hau said, the vis was challenging so I can figure that against the camera, but I was hugely disappointed by the goproHD underwater...it is so frustrating cos above water I feel like steven speilberg, but underwater...shameful.

the flashers did very well, I was please with the "dredge" flasher I made and attached to the anchor line...it looks like a small school of bait fish from 40ft away so that was good(see poor quality screen capture below). The spinner flasher i made was awesome..I threw it twice from the yak and pulled it back(like working a spoon on the flats) and saw a pretty good sized cuda follow it in the second throw...I was clearly unable to capitalize on this from in the yak, but I could see the flasher spinning through the water and think there is a lot of possibility in this design.

I failed in shooting any fish despite taking two shots at the same 16" hog and pulling the trigger a shameful 7 times with no fish to show for it...i realized that this was more to do with faling out of synch with my gear...I usually dont "aim" I just instinctively point and shoot, because of my absence I lacked the confidence in myself and was trying to sight fish for each shot, unfortunately the bands on my RA are easier to see than the spear and i was aiming down them and thus shooting low on all the shots, @#$%!!! at least it wasnt noodle arm.

so my fryer sits cold for another day, and I'm bummed about the GoPro, but a great day on the water (weather was AMAZING) and good times with a good friend.

I wsa diving in a 3/2 shorty that I have from my body-boarding days...I was actually shivering at the end of the dive....Pursuit suit here I come :)