Double tube snorkel

• I saw mention of a snorkel that has two separate tubes, one for intake and one for exhaust. I thought it was probably a gimmick, but decided to look for more info. Here's a good discussion about it on deeperblue Kapitol Reef Snorkel If anyone has more info about it, perhaps a double tube snorkel from a different manufacturer, feel free to add to this thread.

For information on what makes a good snorkel see this thread What makes a good spearfishing freediving snorkel

• I saw mention of a snorkel that has two separate tubes, one for intake and one for exhaust. I immediately thought it was probably a gimmick, but decided to look for more info. Here's a good discussion about it on deeperblue Kapitol Reef Snorkel If anyone has more info about it, perhaps a double tube snorkel from a different manufacturer, feel free to add to this thread.

https://spearfishing.world/image/DoubleTubeSnorkel.jpg

For information on what makes a good snorkel see this thread http://spearfishing.world/mask…t-makes-good-snorkel.html

After reading that thread, to me it sounds like most other dry/valve snorkels. A whole bunch of over engineering, drawbacks, and complications to solve a problem divers shouldn't have in the first place. If you cant blow a bit of water out of your snorkel every once in a while you should probably not be in the ocean. Being one mouthful away from disaster is not the position to be in.

I also think its funny that its combined with that terrible camera/mask combo in that photo you posted. I received one from a non diving savvy relative quite a while back. Not only are the pictures/video worthless. But the mask has plus signs baked right into the center of the lens'. Totally obstructing your view. Its also only waterproof to 15 feet.

• I know there are different models with different quality cameras in them and the one I received was very near the bottom. so that may be a factor. The mask was very comfortable and fit well. With a better camera I can see it being decent... except for those + signs. I just cant imagine what would make someone think two large blurry plus signs in the center of your vision would help. Simply putting it on for one second makes you realize how bad the idea is.

• the thing that i dont understand about these is what problem are they trying to solve/fix..the snorkel is fine as it is or maybe get crazy and add a purge valve.

this is just gimmicky shit

i like to spear fish

• By eliminating the 50ml of dead air in the snorkel on average a diver can increase his bottom time by 1.48s.

Davie Peguero

• the thing that i dont understand about these is what problem are they trying to solve/fix..the snorkel is fine as it is or maybe get crazy and add a purge valve.

this is just gimmicky shit

They are trying to solve the same thing that weight loss supplements and workout machine's are. How to extract a bunch of money from someone for a process that seems elusive but actually just comes down to a few simple rules (that dont cost much) and hard work. The average persons reluctance to work hard makes this marketing strategy highly effective.

• ~~~ Also, if I may suggest, I clear my snorkel when I'm several feet below the surface, I continue to exhale a small steady stream of air which completely purge all water from the tube,and I break the surface with a clear snorkel.
    Bye the way does any one know where I can buy a snorkel that is elliptical in shape? I saw an advertisement some where, and now I can't remember.
    Thanks, Kerry.

• ~~~ Also, if I may suggest, I clear my snorkel when I'm several feet below the surface, I continue to exhale a small steady stream of air which completely purge all water from the tube,and I break the surface with a clear snorkel.
    Bye the way does any one know where I can buy a snorkel that is elliptical in shape? I saw an advertisement some where, and now I can't remember.
    Thanks, Kerry.

For better performance (equalizing being one aspect) and safety the snorkel should be out of the mouth during the dive! One should exhale very near the surface and the first thing that one does when the mounth is out of the water is breath :)

Also , for some species, the bubbles that come out of the snorkel (when diving with it in the mouth) make the fish skittish

• For better performance (equalizing being one aspect) and safety the snorkel should be out of the mouth during the dive! One should exhale very near the surface and the first thing that one does when the mounth is out of the water is breath :)

Also , for some species, the bubbles that come out of the snorkel (when diving with it in the mouth) make the fish skittish

I just read, and it seems to make sense, that its smart to return the snorkel to the mouth and clear it when about to break the surface so you can breath should u begin to sooommmbbaa.

A good diver I know from Hawaii just posted that the technique apparently saved his life a few days ago

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• I just read, and it seems to make sense, that its smart to return the snorkel to the mouth and clear it when about to break the surface so you can breath should u begin to sooommmbbaa.

A good diver I know from Hawaii just posted that the technique apparently saved his life a few days ago

In my opinion, the snorkel should only return to the mouth after some breaths at surface.
    if you samba or black out with a snorkel you'll have a (very) open way to inhale water.