Frickin' Jake.. spearfishing Belize

• sdiesen, I don't know if you own a Wong or not, but if you know Daryl, he's the Ulua King. He's got a lot of spots off Kaneohe Bay where he knows are the "houses", where the uluas hang out during the day. Some BIG ones. It's pretty awesome to watch him disappear into those holes...60-70 feet down. Overhead environment free diving? Whoooaaaa. Pretty intense especially when he's going back down to untangle one.

Judah, thanks buddy. This fish was actually in only about 8 feet of water. There was a bit of surge, which makes it hard on your wetsuit banging against the rocks. The snappers were moving around in the low vis trying to keep away from us. Jake and I were just laying down.....and waiting......and waiting. haha. You could see the groups of bigger ones in the distance ....like ghosts. It was just a waiting game and .....I believe anyway, but still learning about this elusive fish.....never show any aggressive move towards them. Not even a hard look.

• Hahaha but your come hither glances seem to be working.

I actually find it hard to hold my breath in shallow water. I think pressure helps me relax or something but I can aspetto a solid 30-40 seconds on a normal dive in 30-40 fsw. In ten feet i am a lot less able to hang out.

i like to spear fish

• And this is because the compressed air in your lungs increases the PP 02, which FEELs like you have more air.
    Jake always tells me he feels the need to breath as he's going down at about 65 feet. But when he reachs 85, it goes away. Which is what tricks us and makes us more prone to black out.

Which is why we ALL should take a PFI or FII course. haha. HI DAN !!

Later my brothers.

• Fricken Jake isn't here in Hawaii....he's minding the shrimp hatchery...bummer. Went out all day yesterday and covered a lot of ground.
    Diver Joe, head of the UWA, or Ulua Wrestling Federation and Daryl's regular dive buddy shot this 68 lb ulua in a "house".
    A long wrestling match followed with me and Joe stabbing the beast in the head to subdue it.
    We hit about 7 different spots and found some fish. Nice uhu (parrot fish) and Hawaiian hogfish.

• Does Daryl allow people to dive with other guns hahahaha nice quiver and nice fish

All those guns except one are Daryl's. The lady in the pic had a brand new one there. And that was only half the ones on the boat. The blue water guns were down in the hold.

We looked for wahoo at three spots but had no luck. It's been a slow year there so far.

Dan, it wasn't that rough on that side. Just a bit choppy. But as we headed back to town side a southeast wind picked up and were bouncing waves off the cliffs from Makapu'u to Coco Head. We drifted along that side for ono but...nothing. The good news is my buddy in Belize is catching them on hook and line so when I get back.....we'll see.

• Nice! I will be chasing some fish and maybe axis deer in Hawaii (Molokai and Hawaii) end of this year. If your on the Big Island we should go for a dive.

• I have a strong intuition you will get your wahoo cheery broken next year Hank...

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Got a few nice fish yesterday despite the semi shitty weather. We went to Glovers last Sunday to Wed for wahoo but had no luck. We did get some reef fish there but no pics.
    These are from yesterday. Went out to one of the cuts. Lot of current and wind. We were dropping outside and coming in and got a few. The grouper are always there. I was hoping maybe a cobia or two would show up but not to be.
    So, I went all the way out to the drop and found the resident school of dogs. There were a couple of the commercial spearos on their canoes just north of us so I think they had been there earlier when the dogs were still inside the cut. They must have charged them and spooked them. When Jake and I saw them, they were on the bottom and scattered a bit.
    We hung on the surface and waited. Soon they started schooling and moving up in the water column. I did a few dives down to 60 and hid but they wouldn't come in. They would just move off into the blue.
    From where I was the wall slopes down a bit and there's another rock/coral formation that's about 85-100 feet. Jake was in a groove and he went to the bottom. Three dives, three fish. Two were over 100 feet.
    It was weird. At 60-65 feet, the fish didn't want anything to do with me. But when Jake got to 90-100 feet, they would come right into him. I could see it all from the surface. I was amazed and really feel old today. I can't keep up with him but I can safety dive him. I was meeting him at about 25 feet and swimming up with him....and his fish. Pretty unreal.
    Over and over I tell him, "Jake, this ain't no contest. You don't have to impress me". But he's just pretty gifted so .....who am I to hold him back? He's going to do it so better with me because I'll be his best safety diver. Shit, I have two more stepsons diving and Willy is 3. I guess I'm going to be a life long safety diver? Could be worse I guess. :)

Edited 3 times, last by hank ().

• Great report, beautiful pictures, awesome diving. The snappers you catch are the ones in my dreams.

Whenever you feel old just remember the majority of us much younger mere mortals you dive circles around.

Thanks for posting Hank.

• Thanks.

One question. Jake is using an D4 Suunto computer. On his third dive (103 feet it started beeping at depth and scaring the fish.. I can't find the manual. ?? What is that?