Frickin' Jake.. spearfishing Belize

• NO Joke on that roe, it is not like any other.
    have you ever thought of canning that C. Mackerel ?
    you can really get allot this time of year.

Good Going !!

• NO Joke on that roe, it is not like any other.
    have you ever thought of canning that C. Mackerel ?
    you can really get allot this time of year.

Good Going !!

Thanks Cookie. I don't always eat sashimi, but when I do I prefer cero mackerel. :D My wife calls Jake and me, "John Crow". That's the name for buzzard down here.

Edited once, last by hank ().

• Heh heh heh. I love cero sashimi

Also grilled with the skin on is outrageous. Rub it in garlic and sesame oil and cook until the skin gets a little crispy. Amazing!

As long as a cero is fresh it is a delicious fish.

i like to spear fish

• Finally. Got out into some fish. The last two weeks we tried to install a FAD. We got it in but my GPS quit so we didn't have a mark. But we had a vector. 'm pretty sure someone stole the floater, which was 8 feet under the surface and was a nice 6 gallon gas can. Oh well. Try again.

So Sunday we headed to find fish. Dirty water but we found them. Out of practice. I did some nice dives. Came down, chin tucked, got to the bottom, looked up to see about 4 nice dog snapper....15 lbs or so, swimming away. If I'd been looking I would have had a shot. I was just trying to get back in the diving groove. Jake was tearing it up as usual. He got 4 nice cuberas. I got one, a nice grouper, and a few other fish. Saw a couple nice kings but couldn't get close.
    There was a big school or permit and another of 15 plus lb horse eye jacks passing by periodically. We don't shoot those but really beautiful to see.

Saw a nice midnight parrot. He was spooky. Every time I looked at him, "whup" he'd move off, turn and look again. I swear, I heard him laughing at me.
    We made another pass for the FAD but no luck. I'm going to get a new rope and go deep. Jon (Belizespearo) caught wahoo on hook and line and won a tournament this weekend. They're here already.

[/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]

• Apparently thats where all fish are at...we're lucky to see snappers over 20" here and they're spooky as hell. Nice fish guys. Do you eat those midnight parrots? I see them all the time here and fairly decent size. We don't shoot parrots over here though.

• Very nice fish, as usual.

Wahoos are not here yet...

Use soda bottles as floaters. Work well and nobody steals them. But you have to inflate them after you throw them. Otherwise, the bottles collapse and eventually sink. ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Apparently thats where all fish are at...we're lucky to see snappers over 20" here and they're spooky as hell. Nice fish guys. Do you eat those midnight parrots? I see them all the time here and fairly decent size. We don't shoot parrots over here though.

I haven't shot one in a while because the green parrots are protected here now. I'm not sure about the midnight.
    However, it is one of the best eating fish I ever had. Really nice white, soft meat. My wife loves it.

We are lucky to have the snappers we have here. I have about 8 or 10 spots where we know schools of dogs hang out. And if there's a big school of dogs, there are usually a few cuberas around. Muttons too. For us, it's the cuts. Where there's a Venturi of current, there's fish. And of course, possessing incredible diving skills is a plus. :laughing::crazy:

• I guess you know how fortunate you are to live where great diving is close by with an abundance of fish. Reminds me of Panama in the 50's-70's with the abundance and types of fish. Regarding the Parrot Fish - we had lots of big Blue Hump headed Parrotfish that were huge as well as numerous smaller ones - we didn't eat them, in fact, not sure how or why, but we considered them unedible and even poisonous. Now I've learned they are eaten all over the world.

Keep the photos and stories coming.

By the way, how are the giant shrimp you were trying to raise work out?

• Yep - no Grey hair and my Rolex was working - early 70's. Don is always posting some of his from the 30's and 40's :laughing3: so I did some digging but can't find many old photos.