Antigua spearfishing reports

• You almost got the heat treating oxide layer worn off. almost broken in now. That's the only tip I made with the extra grooving to cut a tad off the weight. Still looks good.

You smacked any Lionfish yet with that Trama Cap?

Might be more like a protective cover. Got speciality parts in yesterday for the speargun slip tip. I'll keep you posted.

• Yeah John, shattered a big one a few days ago while getting some snook. It's brilliant! Once I got the tip tuned it has been a champion, those Crevali don't play around, much less a frightened twenty pounder... that was the real test for me.
    Can't wait to see the slip tips you are making! Feels like Christmas [emoji1] but hurry wahoo season starts soon ;)

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Those jack crevalle fights are awesome, I personally don't eat them but my partner does.

What is that tip? I'm looking for something like that to blast the sharks without hurting/puncturing them.

• Those jack crevalle fights are awesome, I personally don't eat them but my partner does.

What is that tip? I'm looking for something like that to blast the sharks without hurting/puncturing them.

Linghunt, the dude that posted above makes um, PM him... John makes some amazing gear.

George Steele

It's a 1/2" Cap that snaps on and off with a c-clip spring. Had requests for a tip that could be used to knockout the lion-fish with a hard hit. Think of a Smoking Joe Frazier knockout hit.

I added round knurl to the front so it would have a little grip and not slide off as easy. Not had much feedback from others with same concept in the field.

I guess it could be made out of 5/8",3/4" or maybe 1" stock for more surface area on the hit on a shark.

• Thanks George!

HAHAHAHA John, that looks great!! Could you make something that work with tricut tips (Rob Allens shafts)? I had to pull the plug on a reef shark a couple of months ago after he tried to bit me :nono:. If I had something like this he would still be swimming.

Edit: sorry for the derail George

• Great derail, please derail with some more details of the shark encounter! Are you allowed to keep and eat it?

George Steele

• HAHAHAHA John, that looks great!! Could you make something that work with tricut tips (Rob Allens shafts)? I had to pull the plug on a reef shark a couple of months ago after he tried to bit me :nono:. If I had something like this he would still be swimming.

Maybe... This picture of a different thumper. You will have to file a groove around the shaft so the clip can "snap" in place. if you get it too deep, you will not be able to get the head off.

This is the same concept around the typical swivels we all use. Those just have a deep groove so when assembled it will not come apart.

For this one, just a light radius.

The TriCut can't hit the bottom of the drilled hole without damaging sharpness, you can see the mark on the pencil point. Might have to stuff a softer material in the hole so the tricut can bottom out without damage. hummm, maybe some Aluminum or a softer Delrin. Delrin will wear at a faster rate and cause the head to be more sloppy on the shaft. Probably not an issue for this application. I could form the aluminum with a tricut tip by hammering it in there to provide grooves. Need to think about it.

Note: I had a nice fit on this cap, (oxide wear from taking it on and off playing with it. better shaft diameter better fit you will have.

I could make something up. I'm about a solid week behind on orders right now. Drop me a line.

• Great derail, please derail with some more details of the shark encounter! Are you allowed to keep and eat it?

George,

As far as I know, we are allowed to shoot it, keep it and eat it. I just prefer to watch them. A friend likes to harvest them since he eats them; pinchos de tiburon. The only shark species not allowed is the Nurse Shark.

We were in the 10ft. of water looking for lobster when I heard my dive partner screaming. I had the fish stringer right next to me and there was a very curious reef shark taking a close look at it. As soon as the shark saw my aggressive behavior towards him, he started to swim away and I fired a "warning shot" putting the shaft a couple of inches away from his body; thinking it would scare him.
    We kept swimming and I was protecting the stringer since I knew it could come back. A couple of minutes later and the a-hole was right next to me. Fins down, and ready to bite. He took 4/5 of the fish in the stringer, and spit them as soon as he bit them. Usually they take one and leave. All this time I was trying to push the shark away with my gun while he was very aggressive. It reminded me of a dog fight. When he was going for the last fish in the stringer, I got very close (mistake) and pushed him with the gun as hard as I could. The tip punctured his skin. He didn't like it and came at me opening and closing the jaws. In those split seconds I thought he was going to bit a piece of me and spit it right back. I fired the gun shot gun style when he was 2-3 feet away from me.

Right after that my partner was by my side asking if I was ok and why I took so long to shoot it/defend myself. I didn't want to kill it.

I put too much pressure on the line during the fight and the crimp failed, so we were not able to get him. The stringer looked very funny, only fish heads. After that day, if I see a shark and I already have fish with me, I swim back to shore.

This was a couple of days later.

That friend calls me the shark magnet :D

• That sounds great! I think the Delrin would be destroyed on the first shot. I will try to use a socket from a tool kit and see if it works. My main concern would be if it gets stuck, re-sharpening the shaft wouldn't be a problem. Thanks John!

Luis

• When I lived in Puerto Rico, I shot (and ate) several sharks. It's allowed over there. The only thing that restrained me to do so was that it was almost 100% sure your shaft would end bent as crap.

If I have to be honest, for me the sea would be better without sharks. Now shoot me! :rolleyes1::D

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• When I lived in Puerto Rico, I shot (and ate) several sharks. It's allowed over there. The only thing that restrained me to do so was that it was almost 100% sure your shaft would end bent as crap.

If I have to be honest, for me the sea would be better without sharks. Now shoot me! :rolleyes1::D

:laughing: I was thinking...I mean, sharks are....whatever....yes, they're here, have been, "they're part of the ecosystem.."...blah blah blah....

But what if....let's say, T Rexes were still around. Not many. But every now and then a dozen or so would come in and wipe out....Chicago or Rio. Would we kill them? or say....."they've been around for millions of years and we need to protect them...."....:laughing:

• Consider yourself shot [emoji4]

Hahahaha! You won't shoot your "salt brother". :D

Now, seriously, I dive much more relaxed in Venezuela where I know there are no sharks than I used to dive in Puerto Rico. And even in pr, I tried to avoid the most "sharky" areas. I was a constant fight to prevent them from stealing your catch.

I know that they belong to the sea and we don't and blah blah blah, but that's my opinion.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Hahahahahahaha I won't shoot my salt brother because I think with your pipe gun you would be a tad quicker on the draw [emoji1] and I know you are a crack shot! [emoji4] still I feel strongly that sharks are important part of our world and fisheries health and should not be targeted by us... BUT I won't hesitate to shot an aggressive shark that won't F@#$ off, no hesitation at all.

George Steele

• Now, seriously, I dive much more relaxed in Venezuela where I know there are no sharks than I used to dive in Puerto Rico. And even in pr, I tried to avoid the most "sharky" areas. I was a constant fight to prevent them from stealing your catch.

I know that they belong to the sea and we don't and blah blah blah, but that's my opinion.

I don't mind if you are going to eat them and don't abuse the resource in terms of amount. I actually helped a commercial fisherman to load a large tiger in his boat. He caught it less than 100ft from were I was diving. I tried to convince him to release it and get another species since tigers are not that common, but he told me he needed the income.

Its their home, I'm just a visitor.

• Got into the blue today, my camera broke so no underwater video.
    The water was teaming with hundreds upon hundreds of small mahi mahi, couldn't bring myself to shoot the peanuts. Lots of small very shy wahoo as well, shot one small one only to have a small shark take its tail off [emoji20] As always I was in the water alone while my buddies trolled, tied the 3/4 wahoo to the FAD and continued to hunt, managed to dive deep following some huge rainbow runners and managed to secure two, 11.7 and 10.2 respectively. The hook and line boys loaded up with small wahoo and a couple of decent mahi mahi.

George Steele