Antigua spearfishing reports

• I like the lucky shorts, lucky shirt and hat in the tuna pic and the avatar. Don't mess with success.

Damn straight about the lucky fishing wear, wife thinks the hat and shirt needs to see the inside of the garbage but I say hell NO Hank! My buddy got in with his camera and took some shots of me with the fish in the water, as soon as I get it from him I will post.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Sadly today a large(over 300LB) shark charged me and despite my extensive experience dealing with aggressive sharks I was forced to shoot it to defend myself, and killed it after a long fight. All of the shark was sold, given away, and part kept for smoking. I strongly disagree with killing sharks as they are under pressure of extinction from shark fin hunters world wide, and are a vital part as apex hunters to the ocean ecosystem.
    On a good note I shot my largest Wahoo to date weighing in at 52 LB and another almost as large

Got decent video as well.

George Steele

• Looks like a silky/reef shark. In Puerto Rico were very abundant as well as a pain in the ass. We used to kill them when became too aggressive.. I don't think they are endangered, at least in the Caribbean.

Nice wahoos. :)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Sdeisen we think its a silky like Marco said, man those hoos were fun Marco! I am getting better as they were both head shots, I had plenty more opportunities but I am being more patient and selective to ensure a landed fish... Its hard though when a 50 lb fish offers you a broad side and you have to rationalize a lifetime of habits and say NO wait...lol..

George Steele

• Sharks meat is really good. I like it in nuggets and barbequed kebabs as well. Some species are better tasting than others. Best I tried was mako, worst was nurse. Reef were good.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Wow George. Nice wahoo.

Cool under pressure…I've watched sharks coming in but so far, only like they're curious, other than the ones that grab fish on my spear but at least 20 feet away.

I've often wondered about this…how do you know it's time to shoot?

Aw….Dude…I just checked your pic again. NO WONDER you had a problem with the shark. You didn't have your lucky shirt on. dude….haha

• [quote='hank','http://spearfishing.world/forums/index.php?thread/&postID=87549#post87549']Wow George. Nice wahoo.

Cool under pressure…I've watched sharks coming in but so far, only like they're curious, other than the ones that grab fish on my spear but at least 20 feet away.

I've often wondered about this…how do you know it's time to shoot?

Hank I keep replaying the scenario: he was a bit to curious ... he went for the parachute we use as a sea anchor first , mouthed it and then came towards me mouth open , i was still in my loading sequence and had only two of my 4 four rubber's loaded on my Koah 65... I charged him which has always turned a shark but not him, he was so close when i fired we had to cut his head off to get my breakaway back. I keep wondering if I should have tried shoving him away with my spear tip.

George Steele

• Aw….Dude…I just checked your pic again. NO WONDER you had a problem with the shark. You didn't have your lucky shirt on. dude….haha

:laughing: but I broke my personal best at wahoo!

George Steele

• Don't lose sleep over it George. If the shark was given a chance he'd take your life and not feel a thing other than a full stomach. You're not a god to take responsibility for this animal's well being. The shark is just competing with you for the same resources. Now if the sea is a more pleasant place for you to be knowing this creature is in it (as long it doesn't hurt you) that's fine, until it does try to hurt you.

• Havent dove in weeks!! Water is very very rough, but today we went on the south side to a reef miles offshore and had a great time. I did manage to embarrass myself a few times as I am diving with super young divers who shrug at 100+ ft dives and dont seem to miss with some pretty crap guns :confused1: :D.
    Anyway I was proud of myself hunting in the 50ft water and taking care of a few fish..yay me...even when the guys filmed me dropping in on a few Grey Angels and filming while a prize hog just swam in front of my face without me noticing, I hate the youth of today :( :laughing: Or when I decided to not shoot a pair of big permits because they looked like a couple :crazy:

George Steele