Small ID Speardiver band material

• I just received some of the 9/16 band material from Dan so I tied up a couple sets last night.
    I used waxed line on one set for Mo's Riffe with one wishbone from D Wong. Not sure where he gets that line,
    the other is dyneema. I think. And I used the stronger nylon line on mine for my Wong.
    Quite a bit different from tying the larger bore 5/8 and 9/16 I'm used to. The hole really is smaller. The dyneema was easier to install, being a little more stiff. I think I need a smaller set of needle nose pliers too. After a bit of spit and twisting and turning, I got them in....and only one gouge in my hand.....and a few choice words that I didn't want Willy to hear...:D
    I normally tie a double wrapped half hitch for the size and it doesn't untie. The only bands I've had pull apart were two that I used a single half hitch. The knot actually slipped and untied behind the wishbone. But I had to use that on these because it's the small knot. I did a stress test on both sets though......Jake did a full on gorilla pull on both.....and they held. I'm really stoked to try them. I like a little less power on my 55 hybrid.

Dan gave me some good advice and says he might post a vid on how to tie these. The insert T that I got from Mako was way too big. Forget it. I had to use needle nose. And the bands are a lot stiffer than normal 9/16. Lucky I made them 26 and 28. Jake was trying to tell me "dude....they're going to be weak....24 is good".....kids.....:D

Edited once, last by hank ().

• I wrap my band holding hand in a few layers of a folded up towel so when the needle nose slips I dont put a hole in my hand. It also really helps to have a dowel to keep the needle nose spread apart when pulling them out.

Dans small ID rubber is the best.

• I second the towel idea, plus a little dish soap... Nice finish on the ends, I just leave mine cut off straight and have had no problems with misfires or tangles. Is it cosmetic or is there a good reason for finishing the rubber?

• Good to know Hank, I could not get Dan's bands in time for my trip but when I get back home I will do the dirty and see what it is like for myself ;)
    When you use them let us know what the difference in load strain is like so I can have a idea of lengths to cut for my guns

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I use silicon spray and my Swiss army pocket knife pliers...
    having a cone shaped end on the band reduces drag... Does it make a huge difference? maybe not but why not having it the best way?
    Dyneema isn't stiff... it you're mentioning that yellow line, it's usualy a dyneema core with a nylon/other jacket...

Why the wishbones so long?

• I try to make the wishbones 3 1/2 inches knot to knot. The one came more like 4 as I was having to adjust to make a different knot.

I clip the ends off the rubber so it's easier to slip into the band slots on the Wongs. Actually with the 9/16 it's not a tight fit. Just habit from doing the 5/8 which I have to spit on to get them into the slots. Do they tangle if you don't clip or taper them. I never noticed that.

The yellow line...not sure what it is....is a bit stiffer than the purple line.

George, I loaded them onto my Wong and pulled them, then switched to a new set of 5/8 I made but still haven't used. There wasn't a lot of difference and they're the same length. Not sure what it'll be like after a few times in the water.

Good idea on the wrapping of the hand. At least there was no blood. hah.

• I also use needle nose to insert wishbones, because I also use the Dyneema. I got an idea to insert the wish bones from shooting old-timey black-powder muzzle loaders. It will save you from gouging yourself so much.

Put the knot on the side of the pliers and just get it started or set into the rubber. I use a dab of dishsoap for lube. Then use the end of the pliers to push down on the knot.:toast:

• When I tighten the bands I wrap each end of the line around the handle of a screw driver with a rubber grip. It doesnt slip and gives you excellent control over the line and you dont need as long of a tag line.

• I tie one end of the tying line to a bedpost or something solid. When I pull it tight I use a needle nose and wrap the line a couple times. That way I can pull with both hands from the bedpost...but I'm an old fart. Maybe a few years back I could have done it with a screwdriver in each hand. :D
    But I do waste quite a bit of line in doing it that way. Maybe 1/4 of the line is wasted.

• With dowels all you need is enough line to wrap the line around the dowel 2-3 times over itself and that will hold strong enough you can apply as much force as you want. A bedpost is probably much easier but I can imagine it wasting a lot of line. Screwdriver handles probably a bit more waste then dowels but less then a bedpost.

• Mo and I used the bands on Sunday and for whatever reason :D we both did really well. I only missed one shot. I was coming down on a nice black and just as I pulled the trigger, he bolted. The shot hit right where he was though. :)

I made Mo's bands 25 for his Riffe C3X. Riffe sets it up with 24 inch 9/16 from the factory but with a 5/16 shaft and the monster double flopper head. Mo is using a 9/32 with a single flopper. He had no trouble cocking them and he got about 6 fish. He shot the hog in the picture and 1 mangrove and 3 dogs and another smaller hog...I think.

I really like the smoother feel with less recoil. I think when I use 5/8 that I actually tense up a bit just as I pull the trigger, which isn't good. With these bands I can use a more relaxed grip.

This pic fricken amazes me. It's hard to believe that Doc is 71 years old. He looks 50.

Edited once, last by hank ().

• Nice picture Hank. Man that guy looks about 45, I need to change my diet. ;)

Cheers, Don

And, he was in a car wreck 10 years ago. He hit a horse and severed his spine from his pelvic bone. Amazing recovery. He eats well and exercises.
    We're going to collect some sea weed that he swears really helped his healing process. They make shakes out of it here.
    71, looks 45 and acts like he's 25. Great guy. Gives free dental care to patients he knows don't have any money. Comes in anytime of the day to help someone with a toothache. Willy loves him. Sunday after diving he's saying, "Mr Doc, come inside my house....come on". I went in and Willy was giving him fried chicken, nuts....haha.
    Really a special person.

• He looks younger than me! And I'm "only" 47....

BTW, I mounted those bands on a wooden gun (3 of them) and love them. Lots of power with not much recoil.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I just recently got for the first time speardiver 16mm small ID bands and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised, amazing difference between the regular rubber and this stuff... big increase in power and smooth smooth smooth when shot. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a edge when hunting.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele