Spearfisher living in Costa Rica

• Hey everyone Im originally from Southern California, but I am now living in Costa Rica. I have been spearing here with my 2 friends over the last couple of years. We have amazing fishing down here and so far all our catches have been off shore dives. There is a lot of rock reef in the northern part of Costa Rica perfect for all kinds of fish, lobster, and octopus. Im currently using a 90cm dual band Mako railgun. Its a great gun and has landed me some nice fish. We are slowly working our way to deeper depths and longer dives. Im pretty new to the sport but have been a surfer my whole life so my passion for the ocean runs deep. I joined the forum to exchange ideas and info with other divers. And also to tell people how awesome diving in Costa Rica is! Thanks Trever

• Hey everyone Im originally from Southern California, but I am now living in Costa Rica. I have been spearing here with my 2 friends over the last couple of years. We have amazing fishing down here and so far all our catches have been off shore dives. There is a lot of rock reef in the northern part of Costa Rica perfect for all kinds of fish, lobster, and octopus. Im currently using a 90cm dual band Mako railgun. Its a great gun and has landed me some nice fish. We are slowly working our way to deeper depths and longer dives. Im pretty new to the sport but have been a surfer my whole life so my passion for the ocean runs deep. I joined the forum to exchange ideas and info with other divers. And also to tell people how awesome diving in Costa Rica is! Thanks Trever

Welcome Trever - I think you will like this forum. Fun group with some solid experience and always will Ing to help. I spent most of my life diving just south of you in Panama and know very well your waters, reefs, and fish.

I can absolutely tell you that you will need a bigger gun! Costa Rica, like Panama, has some nice reef fish - Broomtail grouper, black grouper, Jewfish (Goliath Grouper), Mutton Snapper, Red Snapper and Big Dog Tooth Snappers. Outside Big Dorados, Tuna, Wahoo, and Billfish (I don't advocate spearing billfish), Kigfish and Sierra to name a few.
    Then the most sought after fish in Central America - the elusive and beautiful Corbina (small relative to the California Sea Bass).

That's just for the Pacific side - the Atlantic has similar but different mix of fish. I assume you are on the Pacific side?

Like others have said - attach photos of fish, beaches, coastline and some pictures of the beautiful Ticas in bikinis is always welcomed here - Dan the owner, manager, moderator is always helpful and check out his store for great stuff and better service . Bienvenido!

• Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Oscar your right! I have an ample supply of Guanacaste Teak Wood here so we may be building our own guns for next dry season. I posted some pics in the Photos section of my profile. Ill keep everyone posted. Thanks Trever