Second Ling of the year

• Our visibility is starting to open up. Went to a favorite Lingcod spot and was able to get one nice one. Vis was almost ten feet! Should only get better from here.

• The little Riffe is a Competitor OO. It is 27" long. It is nice to swim around with but a little under gunned for a big Lingcod. I normally use a Riffe Os or Speardiver 90 for bigger fish.

Yesterday the vis opened up quite a bit and was closer to 20 for the first hour until the tide change. Got a mixed bag yesterday.

• Thanks guys. I try not to shoot unless I can hit the head. Hate filleting and seeing the big hole.

The 90 is great. My problem is most of the dives I do during the season the vis is just not good enough to wield a big gun. I do use it out on the coast now and I do like how much reach I have. Very fast and nice gun. It has been my first railgun as they are rare up here.

• A 40 would seem about right as an equivalent. You would probably be laughing to yourself the whole time you were assembling the gun because it would be so small. :)

Now that the vis is here I will break out the Speardiver 90 as this spot does not have much kelp.

• 40cm gun haha taking me back! first speargun I got when I was 15 was a JBL mini carbine, I think it would be close to 40cm. I loved that piece of crap! Was a great size for rockfish and its small size and single band would let me make multiple shots on one dive. was a good size for leaning how to hunt.

• I started with a JBL carbine back in '88 and "graduated" to a JBL 38 Special NW when I got out of college. I still have both of them and used to think they were the cats meow. They are retired now.

With the little one band carbine I actually bounced the spear off of rockfish and Cabezons at close range. Zero penetration.

I am glad I have nicer gear now!

• Nice fish!
    I'm getting hungry now! :)

The vis we get here (in the UAE) is around 10-15 feet as well. But on some days, it opens up to nearly 40 feet!
    Very unpredictable! Hence, most people here dive with either a 100, 110 or 120. A short gun is very desirable in low vis though!
    I know a guy here who regularly (in the winter) lands king mackerel, barracuda and large trevallies with a 75cm cressi comanche!

• The 90 is great. My problem is most of the dives I do during the season the vis is just not good enough to wield a big gun. I do use it out on the coast now and I do like how much reach I have. Very fast and nice gun. It has been my first railgun as they are rare up here.

What range in distance do you have with the 90 ? (Point of spear tip to target )

• Even though it has more reach I still am not taking long shots. I would say it may open me up to six to eight foot shots on a Ling or Rockfish. Bear in mind that eight feet from the spear tip is a long shot for me. I will try and reach out a little bit more on the upcoming Neah Bay trips where vis is much better.

SR1

• Six to eight foot shots is pretty much the max range we want to shoot fish at, for most of us anyway with every gun ;)

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele