Rollerguns

• Hi,guys
    I see there are not much discussions about the rollers here.They deserve some atention becouse I believe in their superiority.I dont say big words like "they are the future".There will always be guys using the simple slingshot and even polespears with great pleasure.But talking about evolution and advanced ideas we come to the rollerguns.
    I was the one who was sceptic about them in the past...until I started to make and use them.Now I can say that I will never come back to the old guns.
    A proper made roller with hidden in the body chanels bands is verry easy to handle and turn in the water.
    All specifications like power,accuracy,recoil,bad effects(flips,whips) are superior in equal conditions compared with classic guns.There are allready a lot of videos and facts prooving that.And I plan to develop and keep prooving the idea.
    This is the biggest I have made-130 carbon double full roller.It shoots great with spears from 8 to 10 mm 160-180 sm long

• I have never tried them but I was diving on a boat last year in the Sea of Cortez with an Italian who swore by his Rollers. He liked the power of a smaller gun and I guess that is the appeal of the roller.

Great job on yours. Beautiful lines.

• Really cool looking, like Oscar I have never shot one. Would love to one day though, I like progress.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Beautiful gun Seal. Rollers may perform great, cause the physics supporting it´s design maximizes the potential of the gun. They look a bit complicated though in terms of simplicity of design. I imagine needing a spare band in the middle of nowhere. Just a thought. But the gun looks impressive and really beautiful.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Thank you guys!
    I see your points about hydrodynamic and complicated design.Thats why I told you I was skeptic about them in the past...BUT,that was before I start to explore and using them.
    A proper made roller has bands hidden in the body.When you load them they disappear in the body.Especially inverted rollers-they are really amasing about that.This makes them much more easyer to moove than most classic multi-band guns.Becouse when you load a big 3-4 band gund,the bands change the shape of the profile,the head- and create some extra water drag.The power equivalent of such big classic gun is a much smaller rollergun,wich is a great benefit for me.
    Roller's system is verry simple and I never had trouble with it.Changin the bands in the water is as easy as any other gun,if you have them tied from home,just one knot.
    I dont like pipe rollers,becouse of the hanging bands-they really create extra drag and feeling is completely diferent.
    In the moment I can say I use 100 % rollerguns.Recently I took a nice classic carbon gun to remind the clasics-the feeling was like driving a Ferrari with 1 liter engine:laughing:.I was feeling so underpowered.
    So before you start talking about rollers,just try them.There are good ones on the market nowerdays.I just dont like pipe rollers as I said-due to the bad hydrodynamics,but they also have the other benefits of the system.

Here is a shot with a 110 inverted polispast roller from about 5 meters.The mono is 6 meters long,and this is a single band gun.The target is 10 sm thick XPS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEayCaQ74Ao

Edited once, last by seal ().

• I can see the benefits that a roller gun offers. However, at one of my local dive shops there's a spearo who works there and made a custom roller gun with carbon barrel. He liked it a lot especially the first few outings. The last few times he took it out the current was ripping and it was wavy. Also, he said that the reload time is significantly increased so if you find yourself in a school of fish..... His assessment was that roller guns are great tools for your toolkit, but not the best for every situation.

Have you had a chance to use them in rough conditions and really put it to the test? Hows your reload time in regards to follow up shots? I hunt on the reef so it's not all about range & power. For me it's more about efficiency, ease of use, and accuracy. Would you use a roller gun to do a beach dive for 4-6hrs hunting on the reef with constant swimming in not so ideal conditions?

Chase

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• I can see the benefits that a roller gun offers. However, at one of my local dive shops there's a spearo who works there and made a custom roller gun with carbon barrel. He liked it a lot especially the first few outings. The last few times he took it out the current was ripping and it was wavy. Also, he said that the reload time is significantly increased so if you find yourself in a school of fish..... His assessment was that roller guns are great tools for your toolkit, but not the best for every situation.

Have you had a chance to use them in rough conditions and really put it to the test? Hows your reload time in regards to follow up shots? I hunt on the reef so it's not all about range & power. For me it's more about efficiency, ease of use, and accuracy. Would you use a roller gun to do a beach dive for 4-6hrs hunting on the reef with constant swimming in not so ideal conditions?

Chase

As I told you pipe rollers become heavy difficult to moove in water and i dont like them.This is becouse bands hang up and down free in the water.Of cource this is the cheapest option-just install a pair of rolls on a simple pipe.
    For me,rollergun is even better for bad conditions becouse can be shorter and easier to handle. Before,I was hunting with a double band classic gun,now I use single band 10 sm shorter gun wich has even more power than the previous-and i load only one band and manage the gun faster.I dont comment the lack of recoil and unbeatable accuracy
    You will never understand me before you try it.I was skeptic like you in the begining

This is the gun I was talking about
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn6LVvOqMjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IggIqPVi8dQ

• I like the roller concept and yours look really nice, but I would love to see real hunting action videos. At the end of the day is what they are for.

Youtube is full of quaity action with rollers.Of cource people dont belive everything they see exept with their own eyes.
    So my advice is-buy a good roller( Allemani and Seawolf are quality brands if you like wood) and make your own action videos.I see you have the conditions and oppotunities for that.Im sure you will never look back:surfing:

• Youtube is full of quaity action with rollers.Of cource people dont belive everything they see exept with their own eyes.
    So my advice is-buy a good roller( Allemani and Seawolf are quality brands if you like wood) and make your own action videos.I see you have the conditions and oppotunities for that.Im sure you will never look back:surfing:

Those two you mention are ridiculous expensive. And I think I should try one first to fall in love with it before spending that much money.

I will still watch YouTube videos from other spearos then. ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• About how much does a 120 gun of either of those brands run?

Yes they are not cheap,arrownd 2000 $.I also think its too much. But could be a good replacement of a bunch of ordinary guns,most of wich we never use.
    Now I use everywhere an 80,as replacement of all my old guns in the 90-120 range.I like getting used to one gun,then the results are better.

• I have 3 roller guns, and I'm very impressed. They are the most accurate guns I've ever shot. The minimal recoil is the key.

The reload times are no longer than a double banded gun.

I just dove the SPO all day last Saturday using a 57" wood custom rollergun. We started on a few wrecks in 70-80fsw and worked out way in to 30fsw. I made 86 drops. I shot a cobia, Cuda, permit, gags, mangrove snapper, hogfish. And I stoned the Cobia/permit/gag/Cuda with my first 4 shots.

Try one for a day if you get a chance.

If anyone wants to come shoot mine, Dan??, let me know. I'm in the Clearwater FL area. Hit me up.
    C