Rollerguns

• To differentiate between the types the terms "rollergun" and "cable rollergun" should be used, or "cable gun" for the latter. Cable guns have been used in the distant past, but they were unreliable and probably not well enough made.

• How much extra range would a 90cm rollergun have over a standard banded 90cm? Would the range be comparable to maybe a 120cm standard pipe gun? 90 is my favorite size for the reef so far but would nice to be able to take longer shots for those spooky fish.

Thanks,

Chase

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• I estimate the extra power is about 50%. I got to this conclusion measuring the penetration.A good double 80 roller with 8 mm spear penetrates same like standart heavy double banded 120 sm gun

• Chase, in terms of power all a roller speargun is, is a conventional band gun turned on its side, try to visualize it if you can't get your hands on both spearguns. What roller speargun enthusiasts consider single band in a roller, is really a 2 band conventional speargun. A double band roller is a 4 band conventional speargun. The increase in power is pure myth, you can't get more power than the bands you have. As a matter of fact you're getting less band stretch with a roller depending on where the bands are anchored on the bottom.

Still Seal's is a well designed beautiful gun, with obviously a lot of work and thought put into it.

• Ok thanks guys. The concept sounds cool, but Im going to stick to the conventional setup for now. Maybe in the future I will come across someone who uses one and be able to try it myself. What allured me was the idea of a smaller more maneuverable gun with the power & range of a much bigger gun. Sounds appealing doesn't it?

Chase

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• It does. But there are no freebies in physics. What you gain in one area you will lose in another. In the case of a roller perhaps a little more recoil control for approximately the same size gun. It's offset by relatively complicated and slower loading, and the overall bulkiness of the gun to carry. If you consider the size stock necessary for a well designed roller, you'll see there's plenty of mass to control recoil in a conventional speargun set up with the same power.

• Dan just to be clear. You are saying that a roller gun offsets recoil marginally, reason I want clarification is everyone who has used a GOOD one says significant reduction and significantly smoother shot. Having never used or even seen one I take what you guys say very serious, I would hate to spend money on a new gun to find out it is crap. So have you much experience with shooting roller guns?

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Dan just to be clear. You are saying that a roller gun offsets recoil marginally, reason I want clarification is everyone who has used a GOOD one says significant reduction and significantly smoother shot. Having never used or even seen one I take what you guys say very serious, I would hate to spend money on a new gun to find out it is crap. So have you much experience with shooting roller guns?

I do. And the recoil is almost nil.
    And 2 of my 3 rollerguns weigh a few ounces more than a normal gun of the same length. The only added weight is the Neptonics rollers and 2 additional line anchors. And no more bulky than a double banded counterpart.

Furthermore, my reloading time is no longer than loading a double banded gun of the same length. And during a routine 1-2 minute surface interval, I don't see any issues with loading time.

Some people are set in their ways. But rollerguns are the future for breathhold Spearfishing. Mark my words. I won't be going back to a conventional gun. I use a Wong MGS if I'm shooting on scuba and I miss my rollerguns immediately when free shafting that gun.

C

• Chase, in terms of power all a roller speargun is, is a conventional band gun turned on its side, try to visualize it if you can't get your hands on both spearguns. What roller speargun enthusiasts consider single band in a roller, is really a 2 band conventional speargun. A double band roller is a 4 band conventional speargun. The increase in power is pure myth, you can't get more power than the bands you have. As a matter of fact you're getting less band stretch with a roller depending on where the bands are anchored on the bottom.

Still Seal's is a well designed beautiful gun, with obviously a lot of work and thought put into it.

Hi,Dan,
    thank you for the good words.I respect your knowlege and reputation,but the conclusion about rollers is not completely right.I understand that, becouse this is new and not veryy explored matter.
    First of all,in equal conditions the roller has double more band volume than standart gun,and yes-a single roller has the total band volume of a double band standart gun same lenght.But,the secret here is the SPEED.
    Normal band contraction has a limited speed,this is a peak value wich cant be emprooved,even if you put hundred bands.The roller system is breaking this peak alowing the band to moove with a higher speed than its normal contraction.
    I will give you a siple exemple to be understood-the spear of australian aboriginals that they hunt animals with.They use a simple stick as a lever and atach the end to the spear butt.With this device they throw the spear twice the distance than normal by the same hand,usig only one aditional moove of the virst.They are throwing and pushing with the wirts at the same time.
    Similar is the roller concept-the upper part of the band is pushing the the shaft and the down part is pulling throught the rolls at the same time,givving more speed than the normal contraction speed of the bands.The speed that can be achieved this way cant be beaten even if you put 100 bands to a normal gun.
    For me is much much easyer to build and advertise classic guns,but I always stick to the obvious facts.
    And the complication of the roller is a myth-they are easy to use and reliable as any other gun,just are difficult to build.
    The lack of recoil and good accuracy are bonus;)