Southeast Alaska video

• I finally broke down and got a video editing program and this is my first fully edited attempt. its a bit of a learning curve but I think after doing this I'm getting the basics figured out. The weather has been nice for most of the week and I got out several days after work to one of my favorite spots not to far from the dock. I didn't take many fish but with the water being awesome fish were just a bonus :thumbsup2: This should give every one an idea of how nice the visibility can be here and while its not the norm its not uncommon
    most of the fish in the video were around 40' except the small wolf eel at the beginning being really shallow and the lingcod at the end being a little over 60'.

• Thanks everyone! I have a new respect for other videos I've seen posted here.

Nice vis, good diving, awesome scenery, great vid thanks for sharing.

Why did you wait so long to take the shot on the 2nd fish?

The one that got away? It was only dive 2or3 of the day and for a brief sec I thought I might pass and find a bigger one as we are only allowed one a day. By the time I realized it was bigger then I first thought the option was taken away :rolleyes1:

• No, the one that was sitting on the step. You waited a long while to shoot, looked over to the left down from the step before finally taking the shot. It looked like you were really close to begin with and not really looking to get closer, so I couldn't figure out why you waited. The first fish that I think was the same species took off in a hurry, I figured you couldn't be so sure of him just staying there.

How do you like the Gopro on the mask?

• No, the one that was sitting on the step. You waited a long while to shoot, looked over to the left down from the step before finally taking the shot. It looked like you were really close to begin with and not really looking to get closer, so I couldn't figure out why you waited. The first fish that I think was the same species took off in a hurry, I figured you couldn't be so sure of him just staying there.

How do you like the Gopro on the mask?

Ah ok, he was right at the size that I pass on. So I was playing with him, like the even smaller one I poked twice later in the vid and figured if he took off it wasn't a big deal. When you see me looking around like that( I did it before taking the first rockfish too) I'm making sure there's nothing bigger sitting a few feet away. It never fails that I shoot a rockfish and a big lingcod slowly swims away just below me.

It's growing on me. I still need to slow my head movements down but other than that I have no complaints. I think finding the right angle helps and you can see that I'm working threw that in this video. Diving your stealth mask I forget the gopro is there many times and end up recording endless videos.... Very comfy mask and a big difference from my home made mask/mount setup :thumbsup2:

• Your doing good with videos and angles, I'm sure you will get better.

Not shooting them, I knew you were looking for a big one near by.

When they swim away, typically they will circle and come back and be watching you. Looking to the side helps on getting the bigger one's. Looks like my water but no bulb kelp, surf and you can see. I like hunting those type formations.

• Great video TB3...

Water must be warm if you are using atlas gloves. I wish we could shoot Coppers and Tiger Rockfish but they are off limits. Very enjoyable video. Thanks!

• Great video TB3...

Water must be warm if you are using atlas gloves. I wish we could shoot Coppers and Tiger Rockfish but they are off limits. Very enjoyable video. Thanks!

My hands don't usually get cold so I leave the 5mm to winter and early spring. I forget about the rockfish closers down there, that sucks. I don't shoot many tigers because they're usually small ones that shallow But this one just made the cut.

• Looks like Tiger Rockfish go all the way down to central California. Never seen one here in Northern CA.

Looking at Cal DFG regulations, looks like I could shoot them.

---------------------------

The tiger rockfish Sebastes nigrocinctus (also tiger seaperch, banded rockfish, and black-banded rockfish) is a fish found in rocky reefs and boulder fields. It is found in the northeast Pacific Ocean off Kodiak Island, and from Prince William Sound, Alaska, south to Point Buchon, central California. This species of fish is territorial,[1] and somewhat aggressive in certain cases. The fish lurks between crevices in rocks, and coral reefs.

• Looked at the video a second time, really impressive your deep diving hunting skills! Loved the last clip, what a great drop, great shot and beautiful capture. Thanks for the video!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I only see them in bolder areas and usually deeper than 40' never seen a real big one diving. If I was going to call any rockfish timid/shy these would be it, they're the first fish to take off when I show up. The first one in the video shows up at about 48seconds in and you'll see him dart in to its hole a few seconds later. They like to play peekaboo from those spots. Many times I've laid on a rock and see one poke its head out under me to see what I'm doing up there.