Almost PB permit, having a streak of bad luck! :(

• Some cheap generic shaft, yes it was my speardiver reel but it came down to my thread-locker failing, and leaving me with a shaft and no screw-in tip on the end of it, and it was my linghunt custom tip..I liked that tip!! :angry5:

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Dan if i had on a slip tip that beast of a permit would be in meh belly and not on my mind :( It really was a lovely fish :weeping:

George Steele

• Hahahahhaha Greek true that, but if I had on a screw on sliptip I would be laughing

George Steele

• Thread locker? I used threaded Riffe, double flopper tips and used to vice grips to tighten them down.

How did it come unscrewed? The fish started rotating, laying on its side as you pulled it up? And the floppers were sunk enough into the skin of flesh that it just unscrewed the tip as it rotated?

Bummer George. The good news is, with the bad luck you've had recently, you're in for something good soon. :)

• You must be lucky in love... :rolleyes1:

C'mon George! Be serious! Get a good old SA shaft and forget about loosing more fish!

And IF, I repeat, IF you really want to use a screw-in tip, please use teflon tape and tighten it with vise grips as if your life relays on it.

That applies also to slip tips adapters.

;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• The good news (gotta look for silver lining) is that your bad luck are getting Smaller :laughing:

Dude - recognize that you and others (Hank for example) are living the dream many of us can only fantize about - I expect to see you post a photo and maybe a video in the future with a HUGE smile holding a nice YFT :thumbsup2:

PS: assuming you use newer lock- tight

Edited once, last by Oscar ().

• Hahahhahha come on guys you are killing me here [emoji1]
    I don't put on my screw on tips like a pansy...lol. I use industrial strength thread locker, same stuff we use on marine diesel engines! usually it needs heat to remove! I had everything broken down from my Trinidad trip and had some old questionable drops left in an ancient tube I was throwing away, sadly my hoarding side won when putting my reef guns back together, and I used the old stuff rather than the fresher stuff which I have.
    There are three, well actually 4... regular, medium, strong and penetrating that I know off. The strong(red) had ruined spear tips trying to get it off in the past[emoji6] that's what goes on my Bluewater rigs.

George Steele

• Got to keep them tight or you have to replace. If you really want it on there, Get both Male and Female sides really clean, sure some alcohol or a good cleaner. Then use one of the stonger Loctite compounds. If you want to take it off, Better care a couple pairs of Vice grips and a torch to heat it up to break the chemical bonds. Teflon tape is great, but as stated you got to get it tight.

Even the tips that rotate, got to get them tight.

Old WW2 Saying, "Loose Lips Sink Ships" How about "Loose Threads Lose Tips" Can't get it to rhyme....

• Hahahhahha come on guys you are killing me here [emoji1]
    I don't put on my screw on tips like a pansy...lol. I use industrial strength thread locker, same stuff we use on marine diesel engines! usually it needs heat to remove! I had everything broken down from my Trinidad trip and had some old questionable drops left in an ancient tube I was throwing away, sadly my hoarding side won when putting my reef guns back together, and I used the old stuff rather than the fresher stuff which I have.

Well, there you have it. Jake was right.

"Dad, George f**ked up and didn't prepare....". :laughing:

I said, "dude, this is George...you see the fish he gets"?

"shrug....."...

Just kidding badehh. Thanks for posting this. Big fish pics are great but learning from mistakes is the most valuable thing on this site. I promise to post it the next time I do something similar. :thumbsup2:....hopefully in the distant future....