Best spearfishing Video I have ever seen

• SICK SICK footage! Fish seemed friendly and not super skidish. Loved the shaft penetrating footage. What depths was your West Indian going for those doggies?

It was painful to see that big ulua (GT) and no shot taken!

He is very very comfortable chilling on the bottom at 100ft so who knows, but my dog hunting buddies say they get um shallow. He is from the island of Tobago so you could call him a Trinidadian or a Trini [emoji4]

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• SICK SICK footage! Fish seemed friendly and not super skidish. Loved the shaft penetrating footage. What depths was your West Indian going for those doggies?

It was painful to see that big ulua (GT) and no shot taken!

Those big Ulua are popular in Hawaii but here in Belize, I don't shoot them. (we have the Horse eye jack...similar) If I don't eat it, and it's not my favorite, I can't give it away. Don't know about Trinidad but I would guess the tastes are similar? George?

• Those big Ulua are popular in Hawaii but here in Belize, I don't shoot them. (we have the Horse eye jack...similar) If I don't eat it, and it's not my favorite, I can't give it away. Don't know about Trinidad but I would guess the tastes are similar? George?

Varies from island to Island Hank, southern Caribbean islands they are sold, not a top fish but definitely on the menu. Up North you could not give them away, mid Islands like here in Antigua, a few like it.

George Steele

• Yeah, big ulua not the best meat, so it goes great in the smoker! Omilu, the smaller blue fin trevally is the best meat of all the trevally and even makes good poke. Uhu, parrot fish, not valued as food in many parts of world, but highly prized in pacific, Hawaii, for its juicy, white flaky flesh. in Bahamas the local Bahamians thought we were nuts to target uhu. But in Mexico they welcomed our spearing of uhu because the meat stays so juicy and tender and make great fish tacos.

Would be interesting to have a thread describing all the fish local populations consider valuable that others would consider junk.

Great vid though. Water so clean, fish plentiful, and some good depth. :thumbsup2:

• Dude, that was an amazing video! I love footage of fish doing their thing!
    And good videos of hunting as well. My hunch is that this video was filmed in Madagascar. Water looks cleaner than the other African videos I've seen.

You're all horribly misguided. Brod whittackers videos are the best. And that one from New Zealand of the giant tuna behind the fishing boat. Those actually make you feel something .

I agree!
    I LOVE his videos! He truly makes you feel like you're there. Also, I kind of like the fact that most of his epic footage is from shore dives.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld0NOX_V3lk

• We were talking about this the other day regarding trigger fish. In the Carribean they are hunted and taste great. Out here in a Hawaii nobody I know shoots them. I got one and tried it out here. It was alright but didn't seem to be any where near as good as the ones I ate in the Carribean. Anybody else have similar expierences?

• Yeah, big ulua not the best meat, so it goes great in the smoker! Omilu, the smaller blue fin trevally is the best meat of all the trevally and even makes good poke. Uhu, parrot fish, not valued as food in many parts of world, but highly prized in pacific, Hawaii, for its juicy, white flaky flesh. in Bahamas the local Bahamians thought we were nuts to target uhu. But in Mexico they welcomed our spearing of uhu because the meat stays so juicy and tender and make great fish tacos.

Would be interesting to have a thread describing all the fish local populations consider valuable that others would consider junk.

Great vid though. Water so clean, fish plentiful, and some good depth. :thumbsup2:

George is 100% against the shooting of parrot fish. They are the key to sand production on the islands and are banned on our sister island of Barbuda. But...my wife loves them :thumbsup2:

• George is 100% against the shooting of parrot fish. They are the key to sand production on the islands and are banned on our sister island of Barbuda. But...my wife loves them :thumbsup2:

Please keep it in context, I am 100% against it in the Atlantic tropics because it has been proven that the fish that clean the reef, Dr Fish, Parrot fish ect are the MAIN factor in keeping our fragile Caribbean and tropical Atlantic reefs healthy, and almost solely responsible for the recovery of the less than 10% of the reefs that made a recovery. Our reefs are at a almost irreversible stage in the islands, and in Antigua, having only seen a reef 7 years ago i would excuse your ignorance on what they are supposed to look like. If divers/fishermen took the time to educate themselves they would know you cannot compare the Pacific eco systems in any way to the Atlantic tropical systems... We have a fraction of Bio diversity in terms of coral and fish species. WHAT this means Diesel is their reefs are far more resilient, as are their fish, making it very sustainable to target their wrasses and parrots species. We on the other hand are in a crisis state, having never recovered from reef whitening and a few other natural disasters that took place in the 80s and 90's. I find no amusement as you well know in your joking that your wife loves parrot fish making it okay for you to target them.

George Steele

• George I hear you loud and clear, but for a guy that does 90% of his diving in the Deep Blue, you cannot compare to what I have seen in my "7 years" of pure reef fishing in Antigua. I have dove nearly 80% of Antigua's reef structures in my "7 years" of spearfishing and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the parrot fish is in ridiculous abundance in Antigua. If their numbers are in a decline now then back in the 80s and 90s there must have been 1 parrot fish for every grain of sand on our beaches :rolleyes1:.

• George I hear you loud and clear, but for a guy that does 90% of his diving in the Deep Blue, you cannot compare to what I have seen in my "7 years" of pure reef fishing in Antigua. I have dove nearly 80% of Antigua's reef structures in my "7 years" of spearfishing and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the parrot fish is in ridiculous abundance in Antigua. If their numbers are in a decline now then back in the 80s and 90s there must have been 1 parrot fish for every grain of sand on our beaches :rolleyes1:.

What! Dude I have been in Antigua diving reefs with charter companies since 1988, 1986 in many other islands, so stop making a ass of yourself chatting about things you know nothing about breads. As for your observation AGAIN there is a study going on since the 70's here in Antigua that has shown the massive decline in reefs and algae reef browsers....stupppssss. I am not saying these are my observations, these are scientific documented FACTS! I got nuttin to say again on this topic with you anymore, can't beat ignorance.

George Steele

• What! Dude I have been in Antigua diving reefs with charter companies since 1988, 1986 in many other islands, so stop making a ass of yourself chatting about things you know nothing about breads. As for your observation AGAIN there is a study going on since the 70's here in Antigua that has shown the massive decline in reefs and algae reef browsers....stupppssss. I am not saying these are my observations, these are scientific documented FACTS! I got nuttin to say again on this topic with you anymore, can't beat ignorance.

As to the reef health, don't discount the disappearance of the black sea urchins, Diadema species, in the mid 1980s. They're algae grazers too and it's thought that they clean the reef creating "landing zones" for the pelagic larvae of corals and other urchins that need to "settle out".
    It all ties together. No single species controls the big picture.

I'm working with some folks who want us to set up an urchin hatchery project to try and repopulate the reefs here in Belize. We'll see.

man, you Antigua boys are hard on each other….:laughing::laughing:

• Correction Hank, George is not an Antiguan by birth :D. And I dont give a hoots ass about what studies has been going on since 70's. These studies are usually biased towards the conservationists anyway. I TALK FACTS, and the fact of the matter is that "parrot fish" are still in massive numbers out there. I dont give a cocks ass how much was there in the 70's and 80's. All I know is that NOW they are all around the island in massive numbers (more than triple any other species).

• I got a some great footage of some black urchins. I'll try and get it up. :laughing::laughing:

I also have some great video of paint drying to share [emoji1]

George Steele