PWC or kayak for spearfishing?

• Do they still make the scupper pro? I'm looking for a kayak where I can spearfish off of easily and fish with rods as well. My Royak is great for spearfishing because of the giant hatch but she feels heavy lately and I don't have room for rod holders. Any suggestions? A 55lb yak sounds awesome! What's the weight capacity?

• 350-400 lbs it says but most reviews online don't recommend it for anyone over 220 lbs (I guess as it is kind of narrow but that is part of what makes it paddle so well)

Ocean kayak no longer makes the scupper pro but they are not rare on craigslist

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Ok, if you or anyone on the forum finds one on Craigslist or would like to sell one please let me know.

350-400 lbs it says but most reviews online don't recommend it for anyone over 220 lbs (I guess as it is kind of narrow but that is part of what makes it paddle so well)

Ocean kayak no longer makes the scupper pro but they are not rare on craigslist

• What about one of the other ocean kayaks like the prowler 13 angler? it's in that weight range, comes with rod holders and it's still being made. I don't own one but I too have been looking at the ocean kayaks.

• I really like the Ocean Kayak Trident 13 because it has a very useful hatch in front of the seat. But they're still pretty expensive on CL ($700+) Treebilly3, now that I look at it, the Prowler and the Trident look very similar...

What about one of the other ocean kayaks like the prowler 13 angler? it's in that weight range, comes with rod holders and it's still being made. I don't own one but I too have been looking at the ocean kayaks.

• I really like the Ocean Kayak Trident 13 because it has a very useful hatch in front of the seat. But they're still pretty expensive on CL ($700+) Treebilly3, now that I look at it, the Prowler and the Trident look very similar...

My dive buddy used that kayak. It is very nice but I find it a bit wide. For larger body types it is probably ideal

• The scupper pro is still manufactured and called Tempo[emoji41] Ocean Kayak sold that mold to a company on Fl west coast if I am not mistaken.

• The scupper pro is still manufactured and called Tempo[emoji41] Ocean Kayak sold that mold to a company on Fl west coast if I am not mistaken.

Hey look at that. I had seen internet stuff suggesting that happened but assumed they meant something comparable, not the same mold. Awesome

• The Tempo looks good. I see them going for $850 on ebay which is still kinda steep though. I love the fact that it only weighs 56lbs. Anyone know why they stopped making the Scupper Pro?

• Ok I have to make a confession. .... I didn't know what an RIB was. I looked it up and it definitely looks promising. I'll look into it some more.
    Hey shallow, how far out would you consider taking yours?

Sorry for my late reply, work, holidays and and Dengue fever has seen me time poor ATM.

My RIB is only 4.2m with a 40Hp 2 stroke. With the custom 45lt tank including the internal 15lt reserve I cover 20Km each way if conditions allow. I head to the FAD as often as I can.

It is good for only 3 divers plus gear and eski. Easy to launch and retrieve solo.

Because it is so easy to live with, I often take it out only 10 minutes from shore for those quick splash and dash dives.

Is it the best boat for all conditions? No.
    Is it one of the best bang for your buck spearing platforms I have been in? Without doubt.

• That's what I was getting at, for me even a small boat is better than a pwc. That's why I went with a RIB.

Teaspoon, I love that rack it's great use of space, and considered it for my RIB but figured it makes entry from the transom more difficult. What's it like?

Even before I installed my rack I never entered over the transom. I have a grab rail in the console that some divers use to get in. RIBs are one of the easiest boats to enter and exist the water I have been in.

• Rigid Inflatable Boat. I believe.

I used them in Malaysia and we went 20 miles out. They're really stable as long as you don't get a hole in them. :D

The previous owner of this boat went hooning around without the pods attached! Water covered the deck when he stopped but it would get on the plane in seconds.

I have foam filled the hull for a little additional security.

Hypalon is a more durable material for the pods. PVC pods (like this current one) is a little easier to damage but are easy to repair on the fly.

• Thanks for the input teaspoon. Someone gave me a 12' ab inflatables. It is old as the hills and it would need extensive refurbishing to be sea worthy. So needless to say..... the search continues.

• Hey guys, it's been a while since my last post, been busy wasting my life on work. Ever since I moved from Ft Lauderdale to Tampa area, spearfishing became so inconvenient mostly because of the distances and visibility. I recently sold my skiff as it was only an option for skinny water fishing on a flat day. Now I'm stuck between a big boat and a jet ski. And it seems to me that the ski would be the easiest, cheapest, fastest, and absolutely most convenient option for a quick, solo (I know we should never) spearfishing run. Can cover miles and miles of area, easy to tow, cheap to store.
    I love the comfort of a big boat but, one kayak salesman once told me, -If it's not convenient, you will not be doing it often. It is a very valid point to me, based on my personal experience.
    I really hope we could resurrect this thread, and discuss it once more with all the updates in the past few years. Thanks.

I am looking for a dive buddy and spearfishing friends in Tampa Bay area. I have all my own gear. Text me to the number on my avatar picture.

• one kayak salesman once told me, -If it's not convenient, you will not be doing it often. It is a very valid point to me, based on my personal experience.

Kinda spoiled out here in California with epic shore diving. Can walk down the hill and shoot 70-80lb fish and be back at the car before my coffee gets cold. Water craft takes more time and your limited by launch sites but you may luck into some exotics offshore.

• The funny thing is that your everyday catch is exotic to us here and our everyday catch is exotic on your end ;)

I am looking for a dive buddy and spearfishing friends in Tampa Bay area. I have all my own gear. Text me to the number on my avatar picture.