Good Techniques and Practices

• I've read a few posts on the importance of proper practices and techniques for an overall better and safer dive. The purpose of this thread is not to bash/argue (I will ask Dan to erase such post because it's my thread) it is to truly help one another with what might be mistakes we are making and to help each other possibly avoid a catastrophe.
    I read a post Rolo made of a write up that Ricardo Hernandez had sent him. Many good points here. I think everyone should read it and ask questions or add to what is already there. This thread is for the experienced divers here to give pointers and for the "Newbee's to ask questions without being ridiculed. Any stories of past dangerous situations would also be great. Who knows even the most experienced divers might learn something.
    If possible, I would like to make a list of topics that you all feel are important, and put them in " Order of Importance". Gracias to all.:)

Edited once, last by Toledo ().

• Lets keep it to spearing. I think the freediving aspect is allot more borderline dangerous and the purpose of this thread is to make it as safe as possible.

• Some issues that I'm aware of:

1. Using only a reel with a speargun is dangerous. I use a float line.
    2. Breathing up to the point of hyperventilation is dangerous. I try not to overdo it.
    3. Pushing oneself past safe limits because other divers are doing better than you is a real psychological issue that everyone should be aware of.
    4. Swimming behind Rolo can put one in a shitty viz situation which may lead to severe disorientation :D

• 5. Holding in body waste products can lead to discomfort and consequently affect breath hold negatively, leading to a dangerous situation. I try to evacuate as often and as comfortably as possible. We all know the old adage "laughter is good for the soul". If you can combine laughter with evacuating by making your friends see it or even touch it the benefits increase exponentially :D

• the most important issues I can see are
    1) respecting those around you
    awarness
    buddy system
    Dive flag
    2) respecting one's own limits
    don't push yourself to match your dive partners
    no fish is worth losing your gear and no gear is worth losing your life
    3) respecting the ocean
    don't over harvest
    dont shoot fish you can't kill or land safely
    dont shoot fish that will hurt you or in a situation you cannot be safe in dispatching them

i like to spear fish

• 1. Give yourself enough time on the surface to recover
    2. Floatlines are safer then reels, for noobs.
    3. If you don't see fish and it's not a good area, cut the dive short.
    4. A dive flag is never big enough
    5. Always dive with a partner
    6. Never put a loaded gun on a boat
    7. Never stick your hand in a lobster hole where the lobster has only 1 antenna sticking out.
    8. Always assist the captain in every way!
    9. Never dive with your snorkel in your mouth
    10. Always under weight yourself.

Gee I could go on and on....

• Please do.

Also,
    I have a thumb and index finger to attest to the lobster antenna sticking out thing.

• rolo es un cagon! I personally like to take a nice shit in an actual toilet before I begin a day of diving :thumbsup2:

John, you've always had great advice to offer, good to see you in here. when I got started 3 years ago, I used your breathup technique writeup from SB, still have it, still use it!

Thanks!

China V.I.P

• 1. Relax, relax then relax some more.
    2. Make the fish chase you not the other way around.
    3. Unless your stalking a prey, don't look down. It will slow you down. The same on the way up.
    4. Practice long breath holds at home in a chair or in bed. This way you won't drown
    5. Never dive till your sure your partner is O.K.
    6. Don't use an enclosed track gun to get a octopus out of a hole.
    7. Always investigate rays
    8. Never leave an area with fish to find fish in another area.
    9. Shoot what you eat nothing more.
    10. Use titanium knifes, they don't rust.

• 5. Holding in body waste products can lead to discomfort and consequently affect breath hold negatively leading to a dangerous situation. I try to evacuate as often and as comfortably as possible. We all know the old adage "laughter is good for the soul". If you can combine laughter with evacuating by making your friends see it or even touch it the benefits increase exponentially :D

I agree completely...

• 1. Put booties under pants legs
    2. make hole in bottom of booties
    3. don't over tighten your mask
    4. Only dive when you feel good
    5. Drink, Drink and Drink water as often as possible (not saltwater)
    6. While you glide down the last 10 ft try not to move especially your arms. After landing check your 6 for a mutton.
    7. If you can't find the grouper you saw or chased, start back at the beginning
    8. Black Margate usually hang out with their buddy (Mr. Grouper)
    9. When decending and ascending keep your gun tucked close to your body
    10. Gather your floatline before the boat comes to pick you up.

• Always gather your floatline and keep it coiled. This will eliminate dragging a long line behind you that is more likely to get entangled with other diver's float lines. And more importantly make your descent easier if you let it go just before.

• Actually keep a 6-10 ft loop in your shooting hand, so the rest of the floatline doesn't pull your shot off at the last second.

Also- before you drop your gun and floatline in the water, make sure it is attached to the floatline. (actually happened to me at Tenneco Towers, 105 ft to the bottom! I do have my gun.