Footpocket weight and sizing

• 1. H Dessault 42-44 (actual size 11) 750g
    2. OMER Millenium 42-44 (actual size 11) 764g
    3. Nemo / Waterway 44-45 (actual size 11) 708g
    4. Sproasub 42-44 (actual size 11)
    5. Pathos 44-46 (actual size 11.5) 432g
    6. Beuchat 45-46 (actual size length 12 width 10) 684g (1lb 8oz)

My foot size is 11.25 and I normally wear size 11 shoes. I wouldn't say that I have a wide foot. I use at most thin Lycra socks when not diving barefoot. The above five brands fit me well at those sizes, but in order the most comfortable are:

1. H Dessault - Good fit, soft pocket.
    2. OMER Millenium - Good fit, soft pocket
    3. Waterway - Good fit, a little stiffer pocket
    4. Old Sporasub - Good fit, a little stiffer pocket
    5. Pathos - Top part of the pocket too low, puts a little pressure on the foot arch.
    6. Beuchat - Even at the size that's too long for me the pocket was already too narrow, squeezes the sides of my foot.
    6. Picasso (old model) - Uncomfortable, chafes my feet in places no other f/p does, no size fits me well.

• Feel free to delete this post - just wanted to mention that it might be a good idea to include pocket size if we're taking survey results. Sizing can cause considerable variation in weight between a 40-42 & a 46-48. ;)

I have a bunch of pockets to contribute weights of,... when I have time to dismantle them.
    (omer, sporasub, picasso, mustang, beuchat, spetton, etc)

• Thanks fuzz. How about also including actual foot size since the manufacturer's sizes are not exactly the same. I edited my post accordingly.

Ya, shoesize/pocketsize/bootiesthickness is a good idea, along with any other notes. I use between barefoot and a 5mm sock, so in addition to manufacturing sizing discrepancy, personal fit also varies widely from region to region.

• core sub 42-44, size 9/11 should fit.

omer 42-44 is what i use. i like the omer they are a little wide but the rubber is very soft

Thanks. i have used the old footpockets of OMER. But they were very hard back then. I want to try the Omer once more. or i will go with the C4 fins with their new footpockets or Pargos new fin with the Omer new foot pockets.. So right now i'm in the wait to make a decision. I will like to take a better look at what pargo will bring in. I just use very thin socks. So i beleive you right. 42-44 might work. Though Omer footpockets beign wide is good. because i got wide feet.

• I'm 101/2". In your footpockets what size will that be. Because for me that is usually a nightmare to select from brand to brand?

42-44 is what I use in omer pockets and they fits me well. However in our pockets I take a 44-46 and it fits me even better. I couldn't find a size that fits me in Picasso pockets. This just goes to show that sizing is arbitrary as far as how it's labeled by the manufacturer. You have to get input from others who have your foot size on every brand or try before buying.

• 42-44 is what I use in omer pockets and they fits me well. However in our pockets I take a 44-46 and it fits me even better. I couldn't find a size that fits me in Picasso pockets. This just goes to show that sizing is arbitrary as far as how it's labeled by the manufacturer. You have to have input from others who have your foot size on every brand or try before buying.

Exactly right
    . That is why from brand to brand is always a nightmare for me to get something very comfortable. Speacially when my feet is flat and is wide. So i know a few footpockets that after a while will give me ankle problems. So i always compare them to the Omer or Sporasub footpockets because they dont mess me up that bad

• Here's what I got for my pockets:

Sporasub 44-46
    795g

Omer 44-46
    805g

Spetton 43-45
    705g

Omer Mustang 44-46
    720g

Picasso 44-46
    755g

Beuchat 43-44
    635g

Beuchat 45-46
    710g

Hope this sampling helps. Unfortunately, most of my smaller sized pockets are back in Hawaii.

I did notice differences between newer and old pockets. ( i.e. the Omer & Sporasub pockets I weighed were older and a different rubber composition than the newer ones). I'm beat from work, so didn't have the energy to keep disassembling fins. :(

Dan - I weighed my Beuchat Carbone blades for reference. 370g.

Any questions, just ask. :)

• Thanks fuzz.

I'm assuming since your sizes are larger than mine that you're using them with a fairly thick booties. What is your foot size and what thickness booties do you wear with the above f/p? To get an idea of how the manufacturer size correlates to actual foot size..

I've come to the conclusion that the weight of a f/p is not a reflection of how it affects the stiffness of the blade nor how comfortable it is to wear. I was surprised to find out that the permanent f/p used with the carbon blades were heavier than the waterway. I sort of assumed that since the tendons were so supple and the footpocket so comfortable that it will also weigh less. This is not the case, it seems that soft rubber weighs more. I don't think that 100g more or less right at the foot will have a significant effect on comfort. I think I'm free of using the weight of the footpocket as any kind of guideline, I'll concentrate on the shape of the f/p and the quality of the rubber.

• Up here, most of these pockets are for my sz10.5 foot and 5mm booties. 44-46 works fine.

Hawaii or any warm waters like Baja, 42-44 or 43-44 is perfect.

Can't seem to comfortably get my 5mm booties into the Spetton 43-45's, but work well with 3mm omer booties.

The Spetton pockets are a bit tighter in the heel and narrower. Some of my friends with wider feet don't like it, but I like my pockets to be as tight as comfortably possible. As I mentioned earlier, my favorite exchangeable pockets are definitely the beuchats, but their tendons just don't accept normal blades.

• My omer pockets fared well for 3 years while I had them, I think monster has them now in Mexico. How are my old omer pockets doing monster?

Marco, everyone knows you hate everything omer..

Sweetest f.p. ever, seriously, smooth and great fitting. Nemo foot pockets are instep killers Imo.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver