06/10/2009 La Santa Fe - Muttons

• Pantoja, his bro, Alan, Roberto and myself encountered close to ideal conditions today. Flat seas and top to bottom viz everywhere, from 80ft to 30ft although there was particulate in the water. Temp was perfect for rash guards even on the bottom deep. The muttons were around but they made us work. A mutton is a dangerous fish, I got 3 and had to push myself for each one. Here's a pic of the tally. I'm starting to have misgivings about posting pics of our killing sprees for non members to see. Do you guys think it can be bad for us in the long run?

Anyways a great day, I wish they could all be like this. I'll come back and post a couple of stories from today at a later time cause I'm tired now.

• thanks for the UW pics Dan,

Thanks to pantoja for being a great dive buddy, and for recovering my fish and fin:rolleyes1:

My fin became entangled with my shooting mono at the bottom, it turned into a bad situation since I was already out of my air and I had to take my fin off and leave it under water. (Ill post on this in another thread).

Pantoja goes down 70 feet gets my fin, grabs my injured mutton, spears another fish and comes up:thumbsup2:

• I think we are ok with the amount of fish , we were 5 people on the boat. and there's 15 hog fish , 11 mutton 1 porgy and one dog. apart from the cudas , jacks and mackarel . so it's all good with three people in the pic. it was a good day for diving , viz was good flat seas all day and just a bit of current. and everybody happy.

• The Miami section is private after the first post.

My concern is not about surpassing legal fish limits in the pic. It's more about demonstrating to people what's available out there. If everyone started to take fish like that I don't know if there'd be many left. During my time on spearbored I felt the need to show off the catches to be taken seriously and always had qualms about it, I don't like to have to prove anything to anybody. I don't have that feeling here so the balance shifted. Now like I said I'm concerned about how pics like this affect things in the long run.

• Nice mess of fish guys! The mutton spawn should be coming up shortly, seems like these fish are the early arrivals...

Dive safe,

G

• I envy that clear water! Looks like a standout day.

Dan - I have the same concerns about posting fish pics and reports. It's not that I worry about people finding our best spots. It's more that most people don't event know there are decent fish in the area, so it's typically not crowded. Because my haunts are so easily accessible to small boats, I worry some about letting too much out.

• Yes Jeff, I think you nailed it there. Well, our membership is not so big that it's a serious concern especially for your area. Since the Miami section is private I think as a rule I'll post the telling pics in subsequent posts where they are not accessible by the public. For the first post I'll put the best fish and pics that don't show fish.

Let me know if I should make the Pensacola section follow the same format.

• Let me know if I should make the Pensacola section follow the same format.

I think you should. i know Jeff got some awesome Pics. That way when they go out they can post all the stories and pics for the members to enjoy. :thumbsup2:

And by the way Pargo. that is an awesome catch. love to see Snappers getting F****Up. Is my favorite fish to shoot.