07/18/09-Mangos and salchichones

• Headed out of Ft. Lauderdale on saturday and Misael landed this nice Mango swimming amongst a school of 100 30-50 lb snooks. I'm guessing it went about 7-8 lbs.

Also we landed 2 of these salchichons. They pulled pretty hard for their size and went crazy when shot them, mines tangled my fin, at the clip, and my Misaels almost ran straight into me.

Davie Peguero

• We headed to the south and since current was ripping we did what we usually do and drifted the 3rd reef. Vis was green/brown and you could just tell where the ledge and sand met at 60' if you had the sun to your back.

We landed some muttons as well from the sand, most were borderline but Kris shot a nice 3-4 lber.

Also there was a dive where on my descent a tarpon crossed under me, he was at about 45' and about 4-5ft long. He had a small mack hanging with him, as I pass beside him on my way down I notice there was something funny about him. I level off and look at its head and realized it was a HUGE King, after overcoming my awe I act. I only had a 7mm shaft with one 3/4 rubber and a single wrap. Since he was curious I haul ass towards him and give chase until I close the gap at the end of my comfort zone border and fire, he was too far.

Drifted the second reef for some miniseason recon but didnt see any lobster.

Davie Peguero

Edited once, last by seaweed ().

• It's a rainbow runner,a pelagic, meat looks like dolphin and a spearo at the ramp said it tastes like dolphin. I haven't ate it yet.

Davie Peguero

• Nice catch.
    Salchichones? Never heard of this name before. What other names do these things go by in Cuba/Puerto Rico

• So my spanish lesson of the day

salchichons= rainbow runners ?

Once shoot a 7 lb that was about 37' long rainbow runner that pulled me thru the water, my partner from the boat came by and asked what I had I said a rainbow runner he said "What"?

• Salchichon = salami .

We didn't know the name of it in spanish so since it looks like a salami we called it that.Just like we call black margates bembones. Lots of meat on it, fillets will make a meal for 3 people today.

Davie Peguero

• Just ate the rainbow runner and it was better than I expected and up there in the list now. It was like a combination of all the fish I like but not too much of any one fish.

The meat was light tan grayish and flaky but the flakes were very firm like a red grouper and stringy like a scallop only smaller strings. Taste was like a mutton/mackeral and the meat had it's own salt. The breader I used made it a bit saltier than I like. It had just enough light salty fishy taste but not the lingering aftertaste like a mackeral.

I had a piece with skin on it and it was a very very fishy taste like old frozen mackeral.

Davie Peguero

• They were congregated on a floating object in 120-150 ft. I think that's the only place you can find them.

Davie Peguero

• they are also on the red whistle buoy out of govt cut that is like in 90-100 ft.

that buoy is also loaded with bonitos and goggle eyes good place to find sailfish sharks and big kings.