Making lemonade ....

• Don't know what it is, but all my honey holes are absent of fish. Had been doing well, bringing decent sized fish with signs of bigger boys lurking. Just wasn't able to connect.

Go back on Saturday, and nothing was holding fish. Not the rock dams, not the mussel beds, not even the standing timber.

Was determined not to go home empty handed , though.:)

Pole spears are kryptonite for these suckers.Took a big ass turtle out of one of my traps on the way home, as well. Butchered him last night.

• Aaron--those are some nice lookin frog legs. That is some very good eatin:thumbsup2:

When I was growing up my family would fly fish out of an aluminum row boat all day, row back to camp at dusk, switch out our gear and gig half the night. :)
    Later on we stopped using gigs and started using our fly rods with treble hooks. Man was that fun as a kid reeling in a kicking and fighting bullfrog:thumbsup2:

• that sounds awesome hau...so you were snag-hooking them?

Aaron do you just fry em or have you tried them grilled? i have only eaten them fried but i have a bayou friend who swears they are the best grill fare around

i like to spear fish

• LunkerBuster---nope, not snagging them. The bullfrogs would jump up out of the water to bite the hooks:0
    Me and Dad didn't believe it either when we read how to do it in a Field n Stream [probably 50yrs ago]. But Dad let me try it and we never went back to gigin cause the hook did not destroy any meat and it was so much fun:D
    The secret is to use a piece of RED CLOTH on the treble hook.
    I do not know why red, but it worked. But remember to brain the frogs as the hook does not hurt them and they get pretty jumping and thrashing around in the cooler without ice.:laughing3:

Aaron--how is the dogs eye?

• The secret is to use a piece of RED CLOTH on the treble hook.
    I do not know why red, but it worked. But remember to brain the frogs as the hook does not hurt them and they get pretty jumping and thrashing around in the cooler without ice.:laughing3:

Aaron--how is the dogs eye?

I have always heard about the red cloth thing.... never tried that, I've used bass plastic worms before though. That was fun.

Tut's eye is well and thanks for asking. I covered his good eye not long ago with one of those surgical masks and messed with him out in the yard. He still retrieved and played and climbedinto his trough to cool off, so I am calling his eye 'good'.:thumbsup2:

• when i was a kid I used to catch them and used any insect , or a piece of weed on the hook. it's been alooooong time since I tried those for the last time, and it was always fried. I don't even remember what they taste like.

• when i was a kid I used to catch them and used any insect , or a piece of weed on the hook. it's been alooooong time since I tried those for the last time, and it was always fried. I don't even remember what they taste like.

They taste kinda like rattlesnake without all the bones.:D

Not so much like fish,not so much like chicken . Somewhere in between .

• Good to know, I'd like to try the frogs. I hope it's not an acquired taste. I tried lamb the other day for the first time and didn't like the taste as compared to beef. Of course hunger takes care of most taste issues :)

Are all frogs edible? We get a bunch here when it rains. But they're the ones with the poisonous glands behind the head. Is it just a matter of yield? I've been eying those fat iguanas too.

• Dan - Are you thinking of toads? I'd be careful with those. They do have poison glands in the skin, and I can see where it would be tough to make sure that you didn't transmit that posion to the meat while cleaning. Although the ones we have around here are just a few inches long, and nowhere near big enough to get any meat from.

I'm certainly no expert, but as far as I know, any frog in North America that's big enough to bother with is safe to eat.

I've never had iguana, but I bet it tastes like most other reptiles. I have had rattlesnake, alligator, and a couple different kinds of turtle, and find them all very similar in taste and texture.

• I've never had iguana, but I bet it tastes like most other reptiles. I have had rattlesnake, alligator, and a couple different kinds of turtle, and find them all very similar in taste and texture.

I have tried iguana before. Is close to the taste of chicken. Well at least the ones in PR are. They call it (Wood Chickens)-gallina de palo. translation might be a little off :D. They were not bad at all. Pretty tasty in my books. Hope you guys can try it one day.

• I was watching an episode of bizarre foods one time , and he went out with hunting club to shoot iguanas . It reminded me of squirrel hunting... very slow squirrels .

Dan, here as in most places , frogs are considered a game animal with season and limits and all . And of those, only bullfrogs and leopard frogs are considered fair game. Plus, both do yield the most meat so it only makes sense.

I guess just check your local laws and see what's what.

• An iguana is going to die.. What do you recommend to catch it? I have a long bow but many times they sit on the asphalt or pavement and I don't want to break any arrows.

A broomstick...

When I used to fish the everglades right as I would leave at dusk the frog catching crowd would come in. They use airboats to get them. There are no regulations here on frogs.

I hate those toads and would never touch them. The frogs I have no problem with.

Davie Peguero

• An iguana is going to die.. What do you recommend to catch it? I have a long bow but many times they sit on the asphalt or pavement and I don't want to break any arrows.

Just grab it with your hands, make sure they don't wack you with their tail. You have to be fast and try to grab it by the tail first by the thickest part possible and then quickly behind the head if not it will release it's tail and escape. If it is high up in a tree we hit them with a pellet gun in the head and get them when they fall. Still watch that tail. They taste pretty good in fricase(stew?) the meat is really white , looks like rabbit or turkey meat when cooked and has delicate flavor (kind like chicken/reptile) not strong like other reptiles I have tasted before.And yeah skin it before you cook it.:thumbsup2:

• I don't think they are the same Iguanas, these are beefy. I've seen some here easily pushing 6ft.

Davie Peguero