• When I lived in Venezuela, I used to spearfish the “European style” (small pipe gun and reel). With that setup I managed to catch many nice fish. But the spearfishing was different. We just went with the boat to very precisely located spots and dove very deep in small areas. Never more than 300 feet away from the boat. There are very good reels in the Market (and very bad too). Good ones release the line at the first pull, but keep some tension to avoid tangles. Also come with guides and have strong stainless steel hardware.

These are good ones:

They're Seatec Techno 90 and Merou Tuna, both Italian made.

Stay away from Jomers. I haven´t tried RA’s though.

Since I moved to Puerto Rico, I found out that my partners were always complaining because they didn´t know where I was. Additionally, I always thought twice before shooting a fish because I had no place to put it while I was away from the boat. The fishing here was different (as it is in SF). You go to a spot by boat, but you have to swim around because the area is larger. So I had to adapt to using a float line and a float.

The best floatline is the one made with PVC tubing (I own a 100’ Riffe). Normally when I am breathing up between dives, I retrieve it until I reach the float. Doing this you will have much less drag when you descend and it won't tangle with other’s floats.

If you dive alone and stay close to your Kayak, a reel is a good option. When you go out with several friends and the area is larger, I would say a float + floatline is your best bet.

I have a reel attached to the gun I use most, but I have it set up to be used with floatline and breakaway. I can switch from one system to the other in minutes. If I have a localized fish and I have to do a particular single descent, I use the reel alone. If not, float.

At the end, It’s up to you, but as everyone said here, a float is safer and probably simpler.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• How difficult would it be to make a reel?

Now we're talking!

I can't really speak intelligently on the merits of float line vs. reel for general applications, but a reel seems like it might be handy when I dive around the bridge piers and jettys where the wind and waves can wrap a surface line around the structure.

So if we wanted to build a reel, what would it look like? New thread Dan?

• Rob Allen or Sporasub, used both of them and never had a single problem although Rob Allen is the better one. I am a fan of reels like some of you already know, I hate dragging a float behind me even without fish on it. I do have to say that in two different occasions I really wished I had a float. One was when I speared a large cuda in West Palm Beach. Even though it was a good solid shot she just took off quickly pulling all the line I had in the reel and dragging me on the surface. It was pulling very hard and I was afraid of it tearing off but I couldn't let go of the gun because I didn't have a float. It didn't get away but between the current and the fish pulling down the opposite way it made it quite challenging. The other time was when I speared a mutton in the same area. It swam around some type of plant and I couldn't brake it off. I had to let go of the gun. This area is known for having strong current so the gun quickly sank down. I had to get on the boat and have them drop me like 100ft in front of the gun in order to get it back. I was very lucky we had top to bottom viz that day and that I am very familiar with that spot otherwise.......So TinMan are you gonna try to make a reel? It would be very interesting to see the final product.

Edited once, last by Adrian ().

• sdeisn87---I have an extra RA WITH a RA reel [same length as the gun you are now using] if you want to see if you like using a reel before you decide / buy.
    Just let me know an I'll throw it in the truck the next time we spear together

Butttt, IF you wanna go up to FF let me know and I'll pay for the gas. Just sayin:D

• Wood gun or pipe gun?

I can say for sure a reel saved my gun from being lost or broken.

To me it is not one or the other, I either use just a reel or use both. It all depends on the situation, and of course you must make the best decision in each situation because it will only serve to your advantage.

For kayak dives I will only use a floatline tied directly to the kayak. This eliminates anchors and all that other stuff and possibly losing the kayak due to slipping anchor or current sweeping you away.

I use to dive off a 16' kayak and it had less drag than a riffe float.

Davie Peguero

Edited once, last by seaweed ().

• I love reels. The best reel i have used is the maorisub dentex. It holds about 50m of line, never jammed, and reels nice and smooth. I was planning on putting it on my wooden gun, but i don't think it has enough line for me. It is made out of plastics that float so it doesn't add very much weight to your gun.

I recently purchased a hammerhead remora 90m to test out.