Bands in my shooting line $%%%$@@@#

• Line tangling with your bands happens when you load your bands and the line that's crimped to the shaft running to the muzzle gets pinched under the band. To remedy this all you have to do is remember to pul the line from under the band so its running along side it every time you load. This applies to any open muzzle speargun.

When I started spearfishing I was using railguns and this would happen to me a lot. Then I read an article written by Rob Allen himself addressing this problem. I guess I wasn't the only one having the issue of line tangling with bands. Anyways, ever since applying this technique I've never had a line tangle again, ever.

Now I'm using an enclosed track gun where the mono is crimped to the first shark fin tab and don't have to worry about this issue and loading is so much faster and simplified.

Later,

Chase

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• Chase i shoot enclosed track and it still happens, not sure why, like Red tide was saying, i could shoot fifty times and no issues and then, i fire and shaft goes a few feet and stops. I am 2 lazy to work it out myself, or 2 dumb :laughing: so i like to hear how the experienced guys solved their issues.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Man thats weird. Where is you line crimped to your shaft? On my gun gun its crimped to the closet fin to the muzzle, which puts it in front of the bands so I dont see how my setup could have a line wrap.

But especially true with open muzzle guns, if you pull the line away from the bands after loading so that it's not pinched under the band you should never have a line wrap. From the first time I applied this technique I have never had a line wrap again. Honest.

Chase

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• Chase i shoot enclosed track and it still happens, not sure why, like Red tide was saying, i could shoot fifty times and no issues and then, i fire and shaft goes a few feet and stops. I am 2 lazy to work it out myself, or 2 dumb :laughing: so i like to hear how the experienced guys solved their issues.

It happens when you use long wishbones which I see 90% of people doing still till this day. From constrictor knot to constrictor knot on bands, it should measure no more than 3 inches. Thicker wishbone line along with shorter wishbone line also helps prevent the half hitch knot that occurs after shot is fired.

• It happens when you use long wishbones which I see 90% of people doing still till this day. From constrictor knot to constrictor knot on bands, it should measure no more than 3 inches. Thicker wishbone line along with shorter wishbone line also helps prevent the half hitch knot that occurs after shot is fired.

I guess I am a bit long, I always wondered why Dan and others advocate short wishbones, I thought it was just a power thing... good info.

George Steele

• Sir Dude george--IMO the best way to prove the cause of your band / line wraps is to attach your GoPro to the rear of your gun. Next time you are shooting and you get a band wrap just down load your Gopro and play it back slow.
    Hope this helps

• Sir Dude george--IMO the best way to prove the cause of your band / line wraps is to attach your GoPro to the rear of your gun. Next time you are shooting and you get a band wrap just down load your Gopro and play it back slow.
    Hope this helps

Sir Hau, I will try that if I shorten my wishbones and it occurs again. Has your Ulusub got bloody yet? Always expecting at any second for a pelagic report from you. If you want a sure thing come visit me and I will have you on a wahoo for sure.

George Steele

• Abellan wishbone inserts. The new model inserts are slightly different. There is a slightly bigger loop to allow thicker line and the ball is metal not plastic. I never had any problems with plastic but Abellan is always changing their stuff. I got the 2.5mm line from Mori when I ordered something from him a long time ago. The bands are speardivers small id 16mm.

The wishbone line is thick, stiff and short. This prevents band tangles.

• Dude george,

Since you use dyneema wishbones inserts, you can make that half hitch knot in your hands and you don't want that.

• I honestly do not believe that the length of your wishbones has much to do with it, if at all. My wishbones are double the length of Greekdiver's and I never have the line tangle with the bands. It really boils down to where your shooting line is in relation to the bands prior to the shot. In a rush to load your bands with fish present most will not pay attention to this factor.

When you load your bands your shooting line needs to be running parallel with the bands, not under them. If your shooting line is attached to the back of the spear like euro style then you need to pull the shooting line to the outside of the bands so that it's running along side of the bands.

If your shooting line is attached to the shark fin tabs then it should be the first tab closest to the muzzle. If its on the very first tab that places it ahead of the bands wishbones and out of the way. So I do not see how this issue could happen with that setup.

I watched a video the other featuring Terry Mass on ITZTV (YouTube channel) about hunting white sea bass. I was looking at the gun he was using and the wishbones were very long. I think many old school guys do it this way. Anyways, I don't think he has this issue nor blames it on his wish bones and he's hunting in the thick kelp forests of California and worldwide for that matter.

Greekdiver,

Do those metal inserts scratch your gun? :confused1:

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• They do not scratch the gun at all.

I will try to explain as best as possible how the bands get caught in the line. Sometimes if you shoot a big fish very close, there is a lot of line near the muzzle. The bands will try to create a half hitch knot after the shot. If you have long wishbones, it will clearly wrap around your line. Will it do it every time? No. It happens when you shoot close more often than far and usually on a big fish stopping the spear close to muzzle.

Also, there isn't one benefit to having long wishbones. You lose band stretch, increase tangles and use more wishbone material.