"Despingue" de Pargos!

• It's cheaper and better to make your own gun. Or to have one guy out of a group of divers that likes to make them. For some stupid reason I thought they'd be cheaper in Europe. It makes sense that Europeans would take care to put an ergonomically correct handle on a wood gun. That's worth some extra $$ Thanks for the gun pics, it has nice lines. Do all of you use reels?

Marco, I like the vids. What depth is that where you recover the grouper? Is that average viz for PR?

• You have been asking too many questions about PR lately....:rolleyes1:

None of us use reels. Just me and not so oftenly anymore. I used them when living in Venezuela. But I can assure you that the fishes come closer if you don't have a floatline hanging around...

That gouper was in 70' of water. The vis in PR depends, but you can always find a good spot where to dive; it's an island and not too big. La Parguera is the opposite pole from my home and is 2 1/2 hours away.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Don't worry, I'm not so good that if I go to live there I leave no fish for you :D I want to live in Cuba but it's not possible for me and many others because of the regime. PR is maybe next best thing and I think about it sometimes. I like simple lifestyle as long as there's a tourist industry.

I understand what you mean about the float line. I was asking questions before on which color for float line is least visible in the water. Maybe you can tell me? I always dive with float line and I consider it a toss up between these two factors; not having to worry about losing my gun to a fish versus being able to get closer due to no float line.

• Don't worry, I'm not so good that if I go to live there I leave no fish for you :D I want to live in Cuba but it's not possible for me and many others because of the regime. PR is maybe next best thing and I think about it sometimes. I like simple lifestyle as long as there's a tourist industry.

I understand what you mean about the float line. I was asking questions before on which color for float line is least visible in the water. Maybe you can tell me? I always dive with float line and I consider it a toss up between these two factors; not having to worry about losing my gun to a fish versus being able to get closer due to no float line.

I lived in PR when i was a Kid, My family had a pottery workshop in El Viejo SAN JUAN, my mom was a montessori guide there and i recall that it was indeed La Isla del encanto ... Love PR and its sourroundings ...

Marco. Those guns amazes me, but i had spent too much in SG, almost done with the arsenal :D

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I have made 2 guns from kits from TIKI and right now Iam making a 62" Bluewater gun (dont know why) and a small 30" gun for my daughter (use only under supervision by me) is tiem consuming but you can make lots of details and custom made for you.

Also on float lines I use one that I made that was clear without problem, now I am a using a blue one without any problem.

Pucho

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• I used a regular black tubing 100' floatline from Omer for years and now I'm using a green 100' floatline from Rob Allen (cheaper) and according to my personal experience, fishes come closer when you don't have a floatline attached to your gun.
    When I first arrived to PR I used to fish the "European way": Small euro gun with a reel. I remember my folks making jokes about my gear (until we had spent a day out :)). I managed to cach everything with that gun (Omer T20 110 cm single 3/4" band), from wahoos to 45 pounder cuberas and a King Mackerel that was (unegistered) world record for one month.... and have pictures of everything :;

Now I got older and shoot fishes from longer distances, so I need more powerful guns... :(

Still now, when I know I'm going to a spot where I don't have to swim too far away from the boat and the water visibility is not excelent, my first choice is my old Omer with a reel :;

Marco Melis

• En Cuba:
    Pez de Perro - Don't have a clue as to the origin of the name.
    Pico de Pato - Duck's beak, obvious reasoning.

In US:
    Hogfish
    Hog Snapper - Which is why some people erroneously think it's in the snapper family.

Speaking of names I've come to the conclusion that a few fish names, in the US, where originated for marketing purposes. For example in the case of calling a hogfish hog snapper. It makes selling the fish easier. If a person is thinking of buying a fish but doesn't recognize it and asks what it is if you say hogfish they'll raise their eyebrows. If they hear the word snapper they're all good. I haven't seen barracuda sold anywhere but I heard that it's marketed somewhere as saltwater Pike.

• Hey Marco... Just saw your post. I amd the one who was with Robert and Pucho near you guys on monday. I stayed on the boat cause I am yet to go 50+. Robert and Pucho managed to bring up a couple of hogfish an some nice pargos. Later we moved to the kiddie pool, 30 feet, so I could get wet and spear something. There we got some more pargos, a spanish mackerel and some more. I will post when we go again.

• Hey Marco... Just saw your post. I amd the one who was with Robert and Pucho near you guys on monday. I stayed on the boat cause I am yet to go 50+. Robert and Pucho managed to bring up a couple of hogfish an some nice pargos. Later we moved to the kiddie pool, 30 feet, so I could get wet and spear something. There we got some more pargos, a spanish mackerel and some more. I will post when we go again.

Well, you can always invite me... So the gasoline "serrucho" will be lower... :):; You are Fernando, right?

BTW: This was not on Monday but the week before.

Marco Melis

• Yes I am Fernando. Yeah... next time I will let you know. Hope you don't mind spending some time in the kids pool 30 to 40 feet.
    I know that those photos are not from that day, if they were I will be exteremely green with envy.