Public heaings, fishing laws,Nuevas leyes de pesca.

• This are the dates for the new fishing laws public hearings,
    I have been fighting so spearfishing is not banned in Puerto Rico
    like it almost happened in 2004, the fact that some of the best divers
    dont respect the laws or endangered species does not help, some of
    the marine biologist, the ones who really make the law, are really pissed
    at spearfishing.
    Some comercial fishermen were asking that recreationals were only allowed to
    30 pounds of mahi in the boat, and also trying to harvest tarpons to be taken as a
    comercial fish to sell.

Date (fecha)
    Time Place

July 9, 2010
    10:00 AM

“Museo de Los Próceres Don Luis

Ferré Aguayo”, Road 312 Km. 0.4

interior, behind Rebekah Colberg

Sports Complex, Cabo Rojo

July 13, 2010
    La Guancha Hall,

Santiago Caballero Ave.,

(end of the Ave.), Ponce

July 15, 2010
    Center for Multiple Uses, upper

level Municipal Parking lot, corner

between Doctor López Street,

Celis Aguilera Street, Fajardo

July 23, 2010
    “Centro Comunal Los Bravos de

Boston”, Road 200, Parcel 703,

Bravos de Boston Community,

Vieques

http://www.drna.gobierno.pr/av…egulation-of-puerto-rico/

• I don't know about the laws in PR but I know some of the ones here are misdirected, though with good intentions. I am studying now for a coastal zone management degree and I really hope to be able to make some difference and help to bring a balance as someone who wears the hats of both a fisherman and a conversationalist or scientist. I think that both sides fail to fully see the reasons for the other and both have valid concerns. Some people though do ruin it for all of us by not respecting the laws, protected or endangered species and harvest seasons and thus forcing closures and restrictions that wouldn't otherwise exist. I heard someone the other day say they think spearing should be outlawed and fishing all but.

• Yo voy pa Ponce a esas vistas... Las d hoy e las perdi pq me acabo d enterar... pero si hay q meter mano a eso, pq como estan las cosas aki en PR y el gobierno a lo mejor nos tumban el spearfishing si no nos imponemos...

:puertorico:Shakrak Spearfishing Team... We hunt togheter down the abyss... nothing more, nothing less.

[[===#####===============================-------->
    ........####----------------------------------------------.^^OOO
    .........### \ .|
    .........## | \ |
    .........## ___/
    ........##

Aim FAST... Strike HARD

• im in for the ponce meetin....im going with bolo prix....roberto if you can pm me i would apreciate it..just tell me how to behave with those people...and how to react with them...

• Rodolfo, its well known around the world, that tarpon are to be protected, they are worth more alive than dead, there should not be a comercial take on them, many many people live and feed their families on tarpon.

And do you really think that is fair to the recreational fishermen (us) to go out and only be able to take 30 pounds of mahi per boat?
    I was there on the meetings of the advisory cometee when the desicion was taken that only 10 fish per day in the boat, 10 in the boat for everyone to share,was going to be allowed, this desicion was taken not because a lack on the mahi mahi population, they are extremely plentiful, but we did not wanted to hamper the ability of the comercial fishermen to sell their fish.

• Is there a distinction in PR between commercial hook and line fishermen and commercial spearfishermen? Are they subject to the same laws?

Is there a distinction in PR between recreational hook and line fishermen and recreational spearfishermen? Are they subject to the same laws?

• Hummm, 30+ lbs of fish will disappear at my house of 6 in 2 evenings, I have caught 60 lbs of fish and it have last less than a week, all been eaten at my house.

Dan, there is no distinction in PR between basic commercial hook and line fishermen and commercial spearfishermen.

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• Dan,

The difference between a commercial fishermen with a spear gun and a recreational is that the commercial is permitted to use scuba tanks and don’t have bag limit in his captures, otherwise the recreational only can fish free dive and the DRNA is trying to put on a bag limit in some species. For that reason a lot of people are complaining and all of us that spear fish have the same restrictions that are in the article 8 section 5, that forbid us from spear fishing in decks, lakes, rivers, estuaries, reserved areas for bathers, marine reserves and at night, in section 6 forbid us to fish less than 100 ft from the shore.

Those are the only two things that affect the recreational fishers or commercials that spear fish. Now you tell me why they don’t agree?

• Jajaja, Asesino, Asesino, Like you I am the only one that put money on the table, and with Ley 7have cut all my raises for the next few years,wife 3 years without job and is getting harder every day, is there is 30 lbs of fish will eat it all week, so there is less money I have to spend at the supermarket that week, my BIG MOUTH scare lot of people because it tells the truth of what I see, mooost of the time I keep it close because it can a double edge knife where I can be without this sport very quickly and mostly this weeks to come with the public hearings, you try to sound like Saint Asesino with your posts, it makes me laugh, but this is going to be my last post on this tread so you can be the King of it, later have to fried some fish nuggets for breakfast for my daughters.

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• My dear Rodolfo

Looks like you dont know Pucho,he is not a liar.

I sell gear, spearguns and everything, who told you I would not sell you?
    I dont talk about you to anyone, why do you have this perception, I have always
    welcome you to my house, you are so mistaken on so many things, but time past fast
    my friend, we should all listen from past mistakes and learn, learning as you go by is not enough.

For decades we did not had fishing laws.

And if you think I break article 8, stop thinking and ask the guys, since you know them so well, just ask
    them if I break any of those laws. The things you say on article 8, are the ones am fighting on the public hearings right now.

By the way, spearfishing right now is prohibited in Marine Reserves, and basically a big part of PR will become a Marine Reserve
    in the long time, and the ones who abide by the law, wont be able to spearfish.

But I can't believe you are still even here fighting against the recreational fishermen, everyone in this list
    is recreational, my charter permit is recreational, and I have all the papers for it,Tourism department aval,
    insurance and everything, I am the only charter business dedicated to take spearos out, you take guys out spearfishing without permits, even charging gas is considered a charter.

Dan, we have the same laws, but I have on some ocacions tried to get away from the recreational line fishermen
    to be able to spear on certain places that they were going to close, they understood, ultimately both parties were
    allowed to go for only for the fish that they were not trying to protect.

I as Pucho will leave this post thread to you. This thread was intended to defend our beloved sport, and truly when spearfishing is for profit,it simply kill as much as you can, and I wish we were not seen that way.

• I hope all parties understand that there are those who hate spearfishing. They do not care whether or not we do it for sport or to pay our bills. Name calling, dragging each other through the mud, showing our asses, etc. only serves to further their desire to shut down what we do.

The resources of the ocean are not endless, and must be managed. We can either be a constructive part of that management showing that we can be selective and responsible in our take, or we can fight among ourselves and let those who hate our fishing method make the rules.

• It is sad how this thread turned out. I must say that I consider myself friend of everyone involved here and have nothing bad to say about anyone.

I only hope that we all can still spearfish either for fun (and eat of course) or for living in the case of commercials.

3 dorados per day per person seems reasonable to me. Even if there are thousands, if recreational sell their catch, prices will go down.

Roberto: Your post came out too late. I would like to be able to go the the hearings here in SJ. As a foreigner am I allowed to talk?

Cójanlo suave mis panas!... ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Robert, I know that fishing in the marine reserves is forbidden, there are still many places to fish and I understand your point that we need to get strong or they (DRNA) will continue to create more reserves and every time we’ll have less fishing areas for ALL of us.

I’m not fighting against recreational fishers, because I enjoy what I do, regardless if I’m leaving from this now, it’s not about that….“commercial or recreational”, I do go out and fish with recreational fishers, and as friends we share expenses, like gas, food, ice, etc…I don’t think this is chartering, I don’t need permits to go out with friends and split expenses in equal parts FOR ALL, you can ask the people that fish with me from this an other forums from different place in the world, if I’ve charge them for something or we share everything like a group of friends. I DON’T make any monetary profits out of this. For me it will be the same as if I go my self, but we rather do it in groups….good company of friends.

• Asesino, your point of view is an attack on recreational spearfishing. If this is your agenda you should reconsider participating in the forum, because we are all recreational spearfishers here with the exception of one or two members. I will not allow this forum to be used to promote the idea of restricting recreational spearfishing for the benefit of commercial spearfishing.

Cease personal attacks against Roberto Reyes and Pucho. Your accusations will never be proven here, as such I'm asking you to edit your posts and remove the accusations. Speaking "your truths" fucks all spearfishers as it puts spearfishing in a bad light, and gives ammunition to those who would like to see spearfishing shut down. I think you know this but still choose to speak out to make yourself look righteous by contrast. It is a childish and transparent strategy. Unlike you I and others have the self control, in the interest of maintaining a clean image of spearfishing, to not use the very same against you.

If someone chooses to sell their recreational catch, or fish in a no take area, or take illegal fish species, be they hook & line fishermen, spearfishermen, or any other method, they are taking a chance with the penalties that would be imposed on them if they are caught. This I believe is enough protection for you as a commercial spearfisher.

EDIT - Due to lack of cooperation I had to edit and remove posts that required it, including responses to Asesino's posts. I don't have the time to wait and see if Asesino will come to his senses, or rather just stop being stubborn because I'm sure he understands why the posts were unacceptable. Asesino, I do not want to see this line taken by you again in this forum.

• not good at all how things turned out on this thread. thought it could become a controversial but intresting and creative discussion. anyway, wish all you P.R divers good luck for your fishingrights in future.
    commercials and recreationals.

• Like you said Marcos,you hit the nail ansd a note from my part I consider that I only have friends here in PR and in this forum, I don’t hold any Grudge against anyone, that is not my style, if anyone needs help I will help them, I hope that in the next public hearings we can fight only as one and not individually, so everyone have their part and not lost anything of what we like, Marcos in the next hearings you can participate, anyone that lives here can, the one held at Cabo Rojo was a Spanish and Americans that they have their time to speak, I bet you will be more than welcome to speak out, sad how this tread turn out and would like in my heart that it would turn out other way, but it was interesting with some very good points and others not so good, but all of them will help for the last 3 public hearings.

And like Marcos said.......Suave mis panas!

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• I went out diving with Rodolfo and Marco recently in PR, and I can tell you that Rodolfo is a straight up guy. he makes a living from spearfishing and noone outshoots him in the water, he is a diving machine, and he is very selective with his catches, most of the fish he shot the day I went out with him were quality fishes, big, at least by our standards in the US, big hogs, big muttons, big dogs, no small fish. I think that right there speaks loudly of how serioulsy he takes the sport/job and how selective he is.

it is a shame that this thread took a bad turn, but it sounded to me like Rodolfo makes some good points.

by the way, while I was on his boat, I contributed a share of gas and "Carmelo style" sandwhiches, there was no premium for diving with him :thumbsup2:

peace guys, PR is too smal to be divided.

China V.I.P