A few from Belize

• sweet, that muttons no joke either.
    what did you shoot the cubera with that managed to get clear through the head?

I hit it with a 7 mm single flopper shaft. Wong 55 with two 24 inch 5/8 bands. That's strong for me. I have a small turd coming out of my butt every time I cock it. It went in just behind the gills near the lateral line and came out under the gill plate on the other side.
    DuQuesnay shot it with a 5/16 shaft, small double flopper from his home made gun with 2 5/8 bands. His bands are long and the gun isn't that strong but he was point blank. The tip of his gun was about 3-4 feet from the head of the fish. But still, the tip only came out about 2 inches on the other side and it was stuck. It took us about 15 minutes to get his shaft out of the fish.

Edited once, last by hank ().

• Jealous jealous jealous :captngrin: Man that snapper is a dream fish for me confrigginggrats!!! :yaydance::clap2::excited1:

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Hell yes, Hank!

You had that one coming for a while now. Congrats!

• It was a great day. Jake and I are trying to come up with a ceremonial "thank you" chant or dance when we pull away from that place.
    The other fish were really nice. The mutton was one of the larger ones I've shot but they all look tiny next to "big Bertha".

• We went exploring new areas up north yesterday. We were within sight of Belize City near the channel where big ships come in to port. It was pretty calm and little current. The coral doesn't look healthy in that area but there were a lot of fish. We hunted the edge of the channels in a couple cuts and found red grouper, which we don't see much down south. Jake tore the flopper of his shaft and he also forgot to bring the extra ones I had sitting out....."Yeah Dad, I'll get em'...."....riiiiight....
    Anyway, he shot this 30 lb cubera with no flopper. But he got close enough to blow the shaft all the way through the fish, which held. Jon, (Belize Spearo on here) went down and shot it again. Then a red came swimming by and I went and got it.
    Jon spears a lot. He's good. He also learned why we use reels. Maybe he'll post here...haha. He shot a nice mutton with his new gun, and no reel. It got wrapped around a fan coral and he couldn't get it up at 65-70 feet or so and not so good vis. We did about 5 dives trying to see the gun floating up but couldn't see it. Lucky the boat was anchored near and we had a vector.....and scuba gear. The fish had gotten off the shaft and was laying there next to the coral where the line tangled. Lucky him. What's the best reel for a Riffe c3? haha.
    Sorry the pictures kind of suck. I had the camera on the boat and forgot....it seemed a forgetful day. Shafts, camera...anyway, we got about 8 grouper, a couple muttons, a dog, and the big cubera, among other schoolmasters, ceros....nice day.

Edited 2 times, last by hank ().

• For a Riffe C3 I would go with a floatline. It's weird shape makes difficult to attach any standard reel unless you flat the surface where it will be screwed a bit.

Well done! :)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.