shaft overhang

• hi,

Im just wondering what shaft over hang everyone uses?

I use 40cm of overhang.

For a 100 gun I would use a 150 shaft.

For a 110 I would use a 160 shaft.

As 10cms is lost in the muzzle and mech.

Would be interesting to hear others opinions and what they use.

do you find 1 or 2" difference makes much difference?

Most of our shafts go up by 10cm some by 5cm.

• In the 110 -125 range, I'm talking true band stretch, I religiously use 13" (33cm) overhang. If necessary I will buy a longer shaft and cut it down to get my 13". I arrived at this number because it's used by a few gun makers and I got accustomed to shooting it. One time I built a gun and used a shaft with minimum overhang. I couldn't hit anything with it. I changed the shaft to one that had 13" overhang and my accuracy went back to normal.

EDIT - I forgot to mention that my experience is with relatively light rear handle guns, wood and pipe.

• yea I find keeping all guns with the same overhang helps.

to short and shoots high, too long shoots low.

• I also use between 12'' (30 cm) and 14'' (35 cm) with 13'' being almost perfect (just came from measuring my guns now) like Dan said but just never got into it much and now that Dan mentioned it.....it's weird.

• It depends on the gun .
    On mid handles , 6" to 8"
    on wood rear handles 8" to 14"
    lighter guns tend to be more tempermental than heavy ones
    Phil

edit measurements are from the muzzle to the tip ,not to the threads on the shaft

• @ Phil

does a wild - temperamental gun need a longer or a shorter shaft?

or do you mean the shorter the shaft the lighterthe gun - the wilder?

creets,,

sometimes i m asking if the freaks know that they are in the majority..

• Greekdiver can you explain the logic behind wanting the shortest shaft your comfortable with? I personally like the 13" because thats what I learned with. (riffe) I subscribe to the "whatever length your comfortable with but I have heard before that the shortest possible is best.

• a low mass gun will need to be more finely tuned to shoot consistently .it depends on how the gun floats , normally: if the gun on the negative side a shorter shaft will work , on a positive gun a longer shaft will help . riffe guns are ballasted with the shaft if you added a couple oz to the muzzle you could cut 6" off the shaft and it would shoot the same for most people.
    phil

• I like the shaft over hang to be as little as possible. As long as the flopper clears the track of the gun I am good. I see it as a way to reduce the weight of the shaft and to get the most out of the band stretch.

• Greekdiver can you explain the logic behind wanting the shortest shaft your comfortable with? I personally like the 13" because thats what I learned with. (riffe) I subscribe to the "whatever length your comfortable with but I have heard before that the shortest possible is best.

A shorter shaft is stiffer and lighter so it will travel much faster when pulled hard by bands. The spear will have much less oscillation during flight and should be a tiny bit more accurate. The accuracy is my assumption.

It is harder to aim with a short overhang on a speargun. The shot seems like its high but it's not.

Imo, You don't need more than 8-9 inches to aim perfectly at long distances.

The shorter the shaft, the more the gun has be at your eye level to aim properly. This is sometimes a problem because when you have to rush the shot, your aim might not be as accurate as "shooting from the hip"

This is for rear handle guns.

• Does 4 in really have that big of an effect on the flex of the spear? I would think that for a shaft of any significant length (over a meter) that a few inches wouldn't have a noticeable difference. Also the loss of weight shouldn't increase speed very much either. I guess though if there are enough little improvements then they add up.

• I have a 115cm Beuchat Marlin with a 160cm shaft, and my overhang is only 6" :(. Do I need a longer shaft to help with accuracy?

• i was aiming to ballast my gun with the shaft so it floats without the shaft.

this is the positiv gun isn t it?

i am actually not sure wich shaft to order: it s to different types i m keen on both 5/16
    my guns are 120 overall with 105cm from mech middle to muzzle end.

the riffe fin shaft 50" gives me an overhang of ca. 8,5"

the wong fin shaft 57" gives me at least 15,5"

because i d like to travell, shoot and favorable learn on the shorter shaft.. i guess i have to negativ my guns for sinking without the shaft.. how much more weight (oz) we are talking about?

uhh this is not going off topic i hope:nono:

sometimes i m asking if the freaks know that they are in the majority..

• I am a plus 40 cm guy but all my guns are rear handled long euros. I do feel that the angle the bands come at ( band holes in the stock vs parallel to the shaft) has more effect to me.

I don't "aim" per se but rather raise the gun to to where I am pointing at the fish. By which I mean I point my hand and then am in line. I find that I shoot better with parallel bands because the lines are all terminating on the target while the angled bands diverge from the target
    Sort of a perspective thing

I shoot equally well overall with all my guns but my instinctive aiming is way better w the Tito which has a modified older mundial muzzle with the screw in top bands too

I find that if I shoot someone elses gun all I have to do is bring the shaft to eye level as Greek said and the shaft length is unimportant. I just like to not have to aim and just be able to point and shoot

i like to spear fish