A couple fish in Venezuela

• Hello Marco! Good fishes and great boy!
    I'm from Brazil and I was planning to go dive in Venezuela in the Isla the Margarita. I gave up becouse I got an information that is necessary one especial permission to pratice spearfishing in all the country...
    Do you know some thing about that?

Regards,
    Kleberson

• Hello Marco! Good fishes and great boy!
    I'm from Brazil and I was planning to go dive in Venezuela in the Isla the Margarita. I gave up becouse I got an information that is necessary one especial permission to pratice spearfishing in all the country...
    Do you know some thing about that?

Regards,
    Kleberson

Well, venezuelan laws change every day. However, I was told that you need a license to use a speargun (which I don't have). It costs something like 50 US$ and is one for each speargun. As I don't live there anymore, I don't have one.

Are you planning to go by yourself or someone invited you? Probably he has a license. Ask him.

Normally they don't bother tourists too much, but you know, shit can happen. I was stopped once by the National Guard (they were two) two years ago. Fortunately, I had a couple of nice fish in my stringer and they had seafood dinner that day... :rolleyes1: I kindly asked them to leave me alone the rest of the week and we became "friends".

Avoid going there during Easter (Semana Santa) or carnival as those are the days when the law is more enforced.

If you are with an experienced local, you should't have any problems. In Margarita is better to go hunting for other kind of meat... :D

There are very good commercial spearos there and is mostly overfished. Especially at Los Frailes, in front of El Tirano.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Ok Marco! Thanks a lot for the informations! I'm planning to go by myself! My problem (I belive) is the transport of spearguns in the airport... I think that this can be a little problem!
    Regards,
    Kleberson

• Great memories Marco! Your soon will be hooked for life. I can imagine that you are his personal super hero. The pic is great, and hoo, is the very best table fare. Very nice

Well, actually, I like the grouper 1000 times over wahoo for eating.

As you said, right now, I'm STILL his hero. In a couple years, I'll be just and old fart that doesn't have a clue of anything. But that's life....

Klebersonws: As Dan said, Just declare it as "Equipo de pesca" and you won't have a problem. The problem is when you are in the water. I think that you better hook up with a local and pay your share of beers, food and ice (Gasoline price is ridiculous in Venezuela; 1$ for 60 liters) and help to clean the boat. People is nice there and always welcome tourists. They especially like brasilians. When "La Vino Tinto" soccer team sucked, all venezuelans supported brasilian team as it was theirs.

Try to contact some of them in spanish speaking forums as "La rompiente". You can comunicate in portughese with them. ;) I used to have some friends in Margarita, but is a long time since I last talked to them. If you don't find anyone, let me know and I will see how can I help you.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Ok Marco! Thank you! I'll try to talk with someone there.
    Thank you too Dan!

Regards,
    Kleberson

• Nice assortment of fish. Totally unrelated, but how did you find the country since you last lived there?

Also, do you generally wear shoes that match your wetsuit?:D

• Nice assortment of fish. Totally unrelated, but how did you find the country since you last lived there?

Also, do you generally wear shoes that match your wetsuit?:D

The country worse every time I go...

The food is great, gasoline price ridiculous, weather is the best, spearfishing good, but unsafety (crime) is a major issue as well as being stressed every day with the new occurrence of "El Comandante".

Actually my crocks match with my new Country flag. :puertorico::thumbsup5: