2008/11/21 Ft Lauderdale (dog snapper)

• Jim and Davie passed by my place after a successful day on the water. It was already dark so the pics aren't so good. There was a beautiful dog snapper, a nice male hog, and a big sheepshead that required head surgery to remove a detachable tip from a pole spear. The guys can tell their stories.

• Way to go guys. That is a nice looking bunch of hogs and fish. Looks like you might be needing bigger/more coolers:thumbsup2:
    Can't wait to read the stories, more pix and maybe video?
    Congratulations
    hau

• Yes, I remember you like it too. Not really complicated though. Your basic sofrito with onion and garlic. Then some tomato paste with seasoning of your choice and the lobster. Served with jasmine rice is very nice.

• I was supposed to eat that enchilado, but I was stuck eating at P.F. Chang's :boohoo:.

Ok, so we have a few stories about the day. Davie, I, and our friend Patrick went out last Friday. Dan had to bail out because his "foot was hurting" and had the "sniffles":weeping:

We started on the (red and white) sea buoy out of Port Everglades. Visibility was top to bottom at least 80 feet. Current was pretty strong north of the channel, so we planned on drifting on the buoy. As we drift closer, there was a pretty nice fish show, but all small except for three big wahoo at a bout 10 feet. Davie points them out while I am underwater and I swim hard to close the distance. Davie is swimming on the surface. He takes a shot, but the fish are so big and the water so clear that he completely misjudges the distance. I see a shaft drifting slowly downward as I swim up. We chase them for a while, but we don't get another chance.

We decide to drift dive 3rd reef but the fish weren't home at first. I eventually get a decent hog, and while I was on the boat Patrick yells out "how deep are we?". Davie yells back "50". Patrick yells back triumphantly "I got a fish at 50 feet!". In the middle of the celebration, a Carribean Reef shark comes out of nowhere and takes the nice hog right off the end of the spear! :shark2: All that was left was a scale and a slightly scared dude.

After this, we decide to go to Dania second reef, off the pier. I dive down and see this Doggie hiding amidst a rock pile. I had to do a dirty thumb shot to get the angle. Shaft penetrated through the left fillet and out the gut, but held tight. That fish immediately tries to hole up, but I immediately grabbed the shooting line so he wouldn't get deep, I was able to pull him out before surfacing.

We check out another spot on the reef and the fish were definitely around. Lots of small muttons around but I think there are bigger fish around. While swimming, a 50 foot yacht drives right by me, within 300 feet of the boat :angry1:. After I'm done cursing, I dive down and sit on the bottom in about 35 ft, just waiting on the bottom and I see the big hog. I swim straight for him and put down a stone shot. :cool2: I bring him to the boat and show it off to Davie. He tells me that he also shot a Red Grouper that I missed earlier and a Black, too!

I decide to try and get some aquarium fish for a friend when I see a pile of bugs under this ledge. I come up only to see Davie with a snare already in hand. That guy is the lobster whisperer. I decide to hang out while he grabs the bugs to see if a mutton or a grouper would swing by. Four short grouper come around, Nassau, Black, Red, and a Gag. Pretty cool to see all them, but no big ones.

We decide hit one more lobster spot to end the day (Davie gets one more to make a total of five). It turned out to be really great day of no pressure, fish filled diving. There was only one thing left to do: :toast2:

• I didn't see the shark, but it wasn't a nurse shark or a hammerhead. I said that it was probably a bull, but Patrick said no and mentioned a square head. No mention of tiger stripes though or black fins. He said he's seen one before and his buddy identified it as the Caribbean shark.

I've only seen 1 bull shark, that was in the Gulf, a Hammerhead, and about 1.3 trillion nurse sharks. Never seen a caribbean shark, either.

I did see a huge dolphin swim right under me while diving. That was great and a first.

• I'm thinking maybe spinner shark.

On the enchilado we did an abbreviated version.
    4 tails
    1 Onion
    2 Garlic cloves
    Tomato sauce
    1 packet tomato nacho sauce
    Complete seasoning to taste

Throw it all in and simmer for 30 minutes

Davie Peguero

• nice report, good job guys.:thumbsup2:

I have noticed most women are fond of pf changs, i always thought of it as over priced chineese food.

What is a good ramp to launch off Port Everglades:D

• Nice catch JimC - what time is dinner?!
    Nice story by the way - so descriptive - brings a tear to my eye.
    Uhhh - what's that about a dirty thumb shot?! :confused1: is that like a dirty Sanchez?!:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Autocross Junkie

• Nice catch JimC - what time is dinner?!
    Nice story by the way - so descriptive - brings a tear to my eye.
    Uhhh - what's that about a dirty thumb shot?! :confused1: is that like a dirty Sanchez?!:)

Haha, thumb shot is when you can't extend the gun to aim on the fish because it's in a hole or too close. You hold the gun below you and back so the thumb pulls the tigger. Dirty because I couldn't aim at all, had to guess where the spear would go!:thumbsup2:

• Haha, thumb shot is when you can't extend the gun to aim on the fish because it's in a hole or too close. You hold the gun below you and back so the thumb pulls the tigger. Dirty because I couldn't aim at all, had to guess where the spear would go!:thumbsup2:

Nice - but I still prefer the dirty Sanchez!:)

Hey - u been using the Riffe? or u read to sell it to me?!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Autocross Junkie

• wow great job guys! I need to start getting out more and btw Davie Christmas is coming around the corner and i still need to pick up that shirt from you if u still have it. Marco, im here in puerto rico but haven't had the time to do anything. I wish we wouldve been able to go spearing :(