Broward Beach Conditions

• great report

great execution

questionable judgment

one amazing tip for a rough beach entry is to use your paddle like a keel initially and then as an outrigger. it goes like this.
    1) waves typically dont break directly onto the beach, they have some angle of break.
    2) orient your yak with the waves and now one of the sides of the yak will be slightly more angled to the ocean and one to the beach, this can be anywhere from one degree to 89 based on how significant the current.
    3) time the sets and paddle like an animal as any surfer would to try to get onto the swell and ever so slightly infront of it as it breaks.
    4) the yak will always start to turn at this point, usually to the ocean side,because the back of the kayak is moving faster than the front.
    5) hold the paddle vertically and put the whole blade into the water directly behind or next to you on the opposite side.
    6) this will make the front rotate around the paddle and straighten you out, you have just avoided the first and most common kayak flipper and can repeat through the breaks and onto the beach.

if you fail to right the direction and find yourself now looking down the beach and about to roll....

7) as a wave is approaching, try to use big sweep strokes (reach way forward and move the paddle out at 45degrees) and once the wave is almost upon you reach your paddle out far and lean onto the paddle with the blade in the face of the wave. you can lean really far..in a three foot wave you can almost lean 90 degrees with total stability.
    8) in this precarious position you can usually ride through the break of the wave and will either be on the beach or through the worst moment and able to straighten out.

id recommend you spend a day with regular surf surfing the kayak..it is a lot of fun, and no gear to lose

i like to spear fish

• maybe old news but becareful out there

Police are searching for a hit-and-run boater who struck a scuba diver Friday afternoon off Fort Lauderdale beach.

Emergency crews took Perry Anderson, 37, to Broward General Medical Center with injuries that are not life threatening, Fort Lauderdale police said.

Anderson and two other divers had kayaked out from the beach and attached a dive flag to the kayak. While diving, a single-engine boat hit Anderson and continued south without stopping, Fort Lauderdale Det. Travis Mandell said.It happened at about 2:20 p.m. near the 3500 block of North Ocean Boulevard.

[url=http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-lauderdale-diver-injured-20110930,0,5501382.story]Scuba diver hit: Fort Lauderdale police search for boater who struck scuba diver - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com[/url]

• Went out from North Miami today after class. In at 12:45pm out at 3:30pm. Vis was a hazy 20 in 15ft and hardly top to bottom in 25ft. MSW was reporting water temp at 82*, but I'm not so sure about that, I was freezing by the end. Had a relatively large hammerhead hang around me for about 20 minutes, coming in and out of my view pretty regularly. Fish were pretty abundant, ended up with 2 ~16in hogs, a decent mac, and 6 bugs. I passed on several smaller fish that I would normally have shot, the shark was psyching me out a bit. Also got stung by a lionfish for the first time. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be, on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being an ant bite and 5 being a bee sting it was like 2. Those little dudes can aim their spines, he deliberately stuck me.. but I had just fed him some steel, so fair is fair.

• good job nate, do you ever get skunked ?:laughing3:

Every now and again I have to bust a grunt or 2 for dinner's sake.:D I'm just good at not reporting those days unless somebody is looking for conditions.

7:30am-11:15am Stopped at only 1 spot, vis was a disappointing 25 in 35 ft, with current moving pretty quick to the south. Replaced my rashguard with my 2mm top in hopes of not freezing, but not burning up either. I was pretty comfortable. FWC checked me today before I had any fish, the guy was super cool as usual, didn't even look at my license, only asked if I had one. Total haul was 1 hog and 1 mangrove, neither of which were worthy of pictures.

Has anybody been out of the Hollywood/Lauderdale area since the shitty conditions last week? I'm curious of the vis, I'd like to dive there tomorrow, but if the vis is shitty I'll just dive here.

• Damn man, a hammerhead; I have never seen anything more than a nurse since I moved to this coast unless I was in the Keys. Great reports though.

• Was out today from 1:45pm-4:45pm. Visibility has actually gotten worse throughout the week, I had ~20 in 35ft. I jumped in at 20ft on the way back in to see if the vis there was a bit better, but not even top to bottom in 20ft. Slight current to the north. Wind wasn't too bad at the beginning but it picked up quite a bit later on in the afternoon. It was a pretty uneventful trip, 3 bugs one of which was a real monster and 2 porgies.
    The pic really doesn't do the bug justice, he looked much much larger in person.. I'm not much of a photographer.

• I was thinking about shorediving with a friend south of commerical to get him some freediving practice. But the seas look like they might be kind of gnarly. Was anyone out today to get a look?

• I was thinking about shorediving with a friend south of commerical to get him some freediving practice. But the seas look like they might be kind of gnarly. Was anyone out today to get a look?

x2 supposed to pick up tonight like every other weekend:(

• For those of you talking of diving tomorrow, the vis today was a huge improvement from yesterday. Had 40 in 55ft, top/bottom in 35ft, and 30 in 25 ft. If you can get out before the afternoon winds kick up, could very well be a decent shoredive day. :)

• Yep its like the ocean has a 9-5 mon-fri job of being perfect for diving.

For those of you talking of diving tomorrow, the vis today was a huge improvement from yesterday. Had 40 in 55ft, top/bottom in 35ft, and 30 in 25 ft. If you can get out before the afternoon winds kick up, could very well be a decent shoredive day. :)

Forecasts seems to be calling for 15mph NE winds overnight. Do you think the winds will still be low enough until later in the day to get a dive in?

Edit: Then again, your last report was in like 3-5 lol!

Edited 2 times, last by Reefchief ().

• I'm getting mixed info on winds tomorrow morning. One says 18-22 by noon other says from 10 to 15 by noon. Either way, sub 20mph wind that's blowing in a western direction is definitely doable.. just depends how bad you want it. :D best thing to do is check the webcam at first light and see just how accurate/inaccurate the forecast is.

Be careful though, it's hard for boats to see you in decent swell, I've been seeing and having way too many close calls lately

• Hau.. I believe the sacrifice only works if they are still virgins when you throw them in the volcano. I feel as if my donation might possibly double as your registration fee into the Mile High Club.

I haven't been out in almost a week, I was starting to twitch. Went out late today, in at a little after 3:00pm and out at 5:00pm. The topside conditions were epic.. slight breeze, no chop, 78* air temp.. just amazing. The water conditions were a completely different story. Barely 6' vis in 20 ft, I couldn't see past my footpockets, also a ripping current to the south. I was only able to find one of the small ledges that I was looking for, which was holding three bugs. All of which had just recently molted. I had secured my anchor tight under the ledge since the current was booking.. when I dropped down to unhook it, there was a huge hog.. could very well be my PB, but I'm not sure. I ended up sticking him with a 4ft 3 prong.