Frickin' Jake.. spearfishing Belize

• Interesting. Here in Venezuela we give away the heads and bones when we fillet the fish and people is really gratefull. They can feed a whole family with fish soup.

How's the ethnic population in Belize? I mean, indians, blacks, indigenous (don't know how to write It)?

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Three tribes of Mayans, Garafuna (African), Creole (British African mix) "Spanish" which is anyone from any other Central American country who speaks Spanish, Mestizo (a mix of "Spanish and anything else), East Indian, Chinese, some Filipinos and Gringos (white people).
    And of all the above, there are mixes of every and all. It's a lot like Hawaii in that regard but with different founder stocks.
    It is an interesting blend to say the least.

Jake is half Filipino half ....me. Chela's kids are part East Indian, part "Spanish" which I'm not sure what mix that is out of Honduras. Chela looks like she has some African blood too. She doesn't look like she has any relatives that came from Spain. Willy.....a nice mix. German, Scot and whatever Chela is. haha.

• Unreal day. Our buddy Travis was visiting. Me, Jake, DuQuesnay, Chela and Travis. We got into some fish. Jake got the king out of a school of about 9. Lot of dog snapper but wary and the vis wasn't that great. Some nice cuberas hanging around too. Lot of big horse eye jacks and permit around too. Andre shot one jack but we usually don't mess with those. He stoned it too. Hard to do.
    The water is still warm. Weird year. I usually put on my winter suit by now.

[/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]

• Nice haul - I like the Kings in "Redondo" grilled much like the Sierra. Looks like it picked up finally fr yo Hank. Any updates on hw yor FAD worked - or not?

Love your life style :thumbsup2:

• Wow! That's a nice haul!

Water is cold down here. I started using my full 3 mm wetsuit this weekend and the kids were chilling un their shorties. 3° Lower than last weekend...

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I split the king with an Indian guy that works for us in the hatchery. He ate it last night. My part is in the freezer.
    The FADs were both stolen the week after we put them in. The place we went yesterday has kings this time of year.
    There was a distinct line where the green water dumping off the atholl met the clear water. That's where the kings were patrolling for the bait fish hanging around. You could tell when they were coming in. All the little bait fish would haul ass to the bottom.

• I posted last month regarding buying a place in Belize, looks like it may well happen. We're getting some funds together and sorting out the details. It will probably take another year before we have something but keep up all the "teasing" with your great dive trips. Looked like a great day in the water. Congratulations.

• Weird water today. There was a layer of dirty, cold water about 20 feet deep. Under that it was warm and crystal clear.
    We have a new spot I named Yapak, after a very good dive site off Boracay, Philippines. It's set up the same. With the right tide, the current is hitting the wall, coming out of deep water at about a 70 degree angle. LOT of fish. All kinds. We could see them out in the blue too. Maybe wahoo? I gotta work on this one. This is the area where we put the fads that were stolen.
    It's hard to dive though. Swimming into the current the whole time and the dives are at least 60 feet. We're thinking of dropping a small anchor and have a float to breath up on. Is that cheating?
    :confused1:

A few friends from Blue Creek came down and did all the steel cutting and welding on my trailer. So we took them out. They were pretty blown away.

[/IMG]
    [/IMG]

Willy approved the under chassis work. He even had on his Mennonite overalls. haha.
    [/IMG]