Frickin' Jake.. spearfishing Belize

• Well take me on a walk then badeh. I'd love to see that blue water silver. I've never seen a wahoo in the water. Big king fish....but no wahoo.

I'm sure there's plenty of wahoo spots close to your home. Just ask the H&L guys where to go.

OR PUT SOME FRIGGIN' FADS out there. I think I wrote a post on how and where here.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Well take me on a walk then badeh. I'd love to see that blue water silver. I've never seen a wahoo in the water. Big king fish....but no wahoo.

Hank you have a place to stay and a place next to me in the blue any time you get here! Hurry up and get here! none of us are getting any younger bruddah..:)

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I'm sure there's plenty of wahoo spots close to your home. Just ask the H&L guys where to go.

OR PUT SOME FRIGGIN' FADS out there. I think I wrote a post on how and where here.

Marco, we DID put two FADS a year and a half ago. Both were stolen. That's the shit I have to deal with here. And there are pelagics near that spot. I've seen kings for sure. The H and L guys have told where some "highways" are but the closest one is like 48 miles from here. I don't have a boat for that. I mean, I can make it out there but I have to carry a shitload of fuel.

George, thanks badeh. I really hope to get over your way some day.

• Been too long since I was diving. So Andre, Mo and I went, despite the rough conditions. Took us two hours to get out to the reef. We stopped at one spot but the current was a bit strong and it was too rough to drop and pick up with the current standing the waves up vertical outside the cut.
    So we went to another cut a bit south. I saw this cubera and tried to make a dive away from him, but he bolted (I think it's the same one anyway). Then I saw some 1-2 lb muttons so I went down and was hiding behind a big coral rock. After about 30 seconds here comes this cubera. I was trying not to look at him but he still wouldn't come in close. Then he turned and passed the rock, blocking me from his view for a few seconds. Just as he went out of site, I moved forward around the rock about 8 feet closer. As he came into view.....got a stone shot. But he slipped off !!!. haha. He was just laying on the bottom not moving. I quickly reloaded without wrapping the shooting line and one band and shot him again.
    There were a lot of these porgies around too. We were limited on where we could go in the cut because of current and waves.
    A big bull shark came right past me in about 5 feet of water. I just stopped....whoooaaaa. But he kept going. Then a nice hogfish comes and swims around me really close. Like he's saying, "what? you scared ofd the shark"? haha. So I shot him and swam back to the boat with another mangrove snapper hanging off my weight belt.
    Great to be back in the water. Too much work lately.....No Jake. He's still in Bangladesh....

• Nice to see you with fish in hand again Hank. Nice Cubera too. Much better than your diving Bangladesh story :laughing:

• Nice porgy indeed. Used to be one of my favourites then Dan planted some voodoo in my head that they have a soapy taste and ever since I can notice the taste :rolleyes1:

Bahhhh….he probably cleaned it on top of his washing machine and got some Tide mixed in the meat. :laughing:

• Doc came with us. We stayed in the shallows but as usual he cleaned up. Check out the jack in the small cooler. Andre hit it but a barracuda grabbed it before Andre could.
    Doc had a pacemaker installed a couple months ago. But he ain't gonna let that stop him. 72 going on 35. Yep

• That's quite an assortment of fish.

Every couple of years or if at a new location (coinciding with there not being any other shootable fish around :)) I try a porgy again. Without fail they taste like what I imagine floor cleaning detergent would taste like.

Yet I really enjoy cuda. Today's catch 5lb of clean beautiful fillets, half an hours work just off the beach, with some mangos from my tree :nana:

• Went to a spot I haven't been to in a year and a half. 22 miles south. It was well worth the trip. Huge school of dogs. Maybe 200. Another small school 60 yards north. Saw a big cero, a real nice cubera and a mutton. Problem was I couldn't hit the ocean with a shot that day. (as George Steele says :laughing:)
    I'm using the excuse that someone who's pretty good at diving was there a day or so before. Maybe Jon, (Belizediver) I was getting down pretty deep but they didn't want anything to do with me.
    Beautiful day though. It was great just being in the water with those fish.
    Had to get this pic of Andre's pants. haha. Crazy old fart. He's great. :thumbsup2:

• Mo killed it yesterday. He got two hogs, two snappers and the black.
    I was diving good.....and the weather was fine.....and we found fish. I should stop here. :laughing:

So there I was....lying in 55 feet hiding. I felt great diving. Not pushing it, 1 min 30 sec...coming up with a lot of air. And here comes this 15 lb or so cubera....he keeps coming....I have to move my gun because it's behind some coral. The cubera hears it and turns....and then he turns right back at me...he turns sideways....I shoot....and MISSED !!! I grazed his back and he turned and came back again....I guess to say, "you really suck at this spearfishing. Maybe take up tennis"? haha. Then he swam off. I actually shouted at 55 feet, "are you SHITTIN' me" !!?? :laughing:

Unreal day. I forgot how strong horse eye jacks are. I hit this one dead. It acted dead....then it came back to life. Whooaa. That thing was pulling me under from the surface. Amazing fish.

• Dan I have to admit those cuda filets look good, and those mangos make me nostalgic for visits by your place.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!